No announcement yet.

Guess his age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's shed season but he also has fully shed. Low Testosterone equals dropped antlers. Don't know Harris County but here many bucks still have both antlers.

Comment

Wow! After some explanations on this buck, I've gone back to see and learn some of the reasoning behind the opinions of him being old! Good stuff

Comment

4 or 5 but leaning toward 5. Bucks sure do slim down when it comes time to shed.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
          Can you teach me what age characters you use.
          Pretty much what Antlers86 had to say. Tarsals were a dead give away on this deer. 2.5-3.5 year olds leak a whole lot more than this, which is a sign of no rutting. The head and jaws just scream old to me, plus the protruding shoulder blades. Nothing about this deer says young to me. If you could post some pics of some known young deer to compare?

Comment

He definitely bread this year. Lost his antlers last week. Just for the record so have all my other bucks.

Comment

I will try to post a few more pictures.
              Last edited by cwbow; 02-17-2017, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Another angle.
                Attached Files

Comment

I would call that deer a rutted down middle-aged buck. The only concern I have with calling him that is his cupped/dished forehead in the first pic. The regrowth/missing hair on top and behind his shoulders is what I see more on middle-aged bucks. It appears it was cold in those pics since he has his hair fluffed up to hold in heat. That is making him look older than what he is.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                    2.5 long legged looks like a thoroughbred
                    This. He aint got no belly or chest, and his tarsal glands are still very small.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
                      This. He aint got no belly or chest, and his tarsal glands are still very small.
                      Yeah, but this is not during the rut either. Deer in that area are not going to look all buffed up this time of the year.

Comment

no older then 4.5

Comment

4.5-5.5

Comment

Both of these new deer will turn 2yrs old in May. All pictures are from the last two days. The deer in question I will let you know his age at the end of the day. Interesting with the great diversity.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great thread. I know i suck at aging other folks deer from pics. Heck i suck at aging my on deer without history. At a glance he is a 3 year old. Then i look closer and see a dished forehead. That bottom jaw just aint right either.

East tx is hard. The deer dont run through cactus to swell their knees.. Dont lay on rocks to make a chest boob. Dont pick up sand with their food to wear their teeth down. i think more deer are capable of living to 12 plus in east tx than anywhere else in the state.

Final answer? I dont know but Im going to guess he is 10 years old

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                                Another angle.
                                This has old all over it! Feeling even more confident with my guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X