Engineering. It’s not worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    I-R-N-GA-Near! Last week I couldn't spell it. This week I R 1!

I actually went to a federal military academy (USMMA Kings Point, NY) through the engineering program... Had to complete the total curriculum in 4 years and 1/2 of the Sophomore and Junior years were spent at sea onboard ships with no organized class time, so essentially 3 years to complete what normally takes 5 years... Class started out with 1116... 312 graduated... Yea, the engineering curriculum is tough, especially when you throw in military service with it... plus perform well enough on the football field to justify my scholarship... Wouldn't change a thing, but wouldn't do it like that again!
    Having said all that, I managed to do "more" than engineering too...
    ^^^^ We started with 133 people in my Electronics Engineering Class. 33 Graduated. I'm glad I was one. Barely, but I was one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post

But somehow I managed to be one of the 3 that passed.
      Not sure thats the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        i gave this speech to the babies in the labor and delivery after-room when my son was born. Then i held my son above my head and said, "look, simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom."
        lol!!! :d

Comment

LMAO! Just sent that to a buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
            Sex can still be had. Gotta find the right balance between fun and school or you will go crazy. This pic is more true.

But somehow I managed to be one of the 3 that passed.
            Yep. I was the one who didn’t make it, didn’t fail though. Ended up landing a good job halfway through and I did what alot of 20 year olds would do and chased the dollar. Ended up graduating with an industrial management degree 10 years down the road. I still wish I would’ve finished engineering but can’t complain where I’m at.

Comment

I can see it's time for a little more humor.

A pessimist looks at a half filled glass and says it's half empty. An optimist looks at the same glass and says it's half full. An engineer looks at it, and looks at it some more, and measures it, and calculates it......and says this container is twice as big as necesary.

Comment

Some cliche's exist because there is truth to them. Our weed out rate was over 50%. Heck, even if you made it to your Junior year there were no guarantees. I still have nightmares about EE345K. Prof's stated policy was 66% failure rate. In a required course.

Comment

I just finished up last year and it's doable for anyone with enough determination and reasoning skills. I took mainly 17-18 hour semesters then on my last semester I took 9 and went out 5 nights a week to make up for lost time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    I can see it's time for a little more humor.

A pessimist looks at a half filled glass and says it's half empty. An optimist looks at the same glass and says it's half full. An engineer looks at it, and looks at it some more, and measures it, and calculates it......and says this container is twice as big as necesary.
                    An engineer, a mathematician, and a physicist are each presented with a beautiful woman 8 feet away, and the stipulation that at each time interval, they may move half of the remaining distance towards her.

The mathematician concludes that after N iterations there will be 8 divided by 2N feet remaining which will never equal zero so he gives up on the spot.

The physicist opines that if each iteration requires a finite amount of energy then the energy expended in the approach will be inversely proportional to the distance remaining and gives up on the spot.

The engineer says "8 feet, 4 feet, 2 feet, 1 foot, 6 inches, good enough for practical purposes".

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                      Yep. I was the one who didn’t make it, didn’t fail though. Ended up landing a good job halfway through and I did what alot of 20 year olds would do and chased the dollar. Ended up graduating with an industrial management degree 10 years down the road. I still wish I would’ve finished engineering but can’t complain where I’m at.
                      Same here. I didn't fail out, but I did drop Linear circuits twice to keep from it. I changed majors after the 2nd time.

Comment

Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Chemical engineers build projectiles/bullets, Industrial Engineers build targets...

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                          An engineer, a mathematician, and a physicist are each presented with a beautiful woman 8 feet away, and the stipulation that at each time interval, they may move half of the remaining distance towards her.

The mathematician concludes that after N iterations there will be 8 divided by 2N feet remaining which will never equal zero so he gives up on the spot.

The physicist opines that if each iteration requires a finite amount of energy then the energy expended in the approach will be inversely proportional to the distance remaining and gives up on the spot.

The engineer says "8 feet, 4 feet, 2 feet, 1 foot, 6 inches, good enough for practical purposes".
                          Thats a GOOD engineer. Im just a dirty machinist, but I appreciate a GOOD engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Computer Scientists are luckier. For them, sex waits whether they want it to or not.

Comment

I guess my brother did a whole lot of both, but it took him 6.5 years to get his Mechanical Engineering Degree..........LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                                I guess my brother did a whole lot of both, but it took him 6.5 years to get his Mechanical Engineering Degree..........LOL!!!
                                He a Tigger?

Comment

Working...
                                X