Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
    Sliced some this morning. Sure is good. I will slice the rest later.
    Nice

Comment

I'm cold smoking two bellies this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Darrenkw View Post
        Ive been doing this for years. If you can swing it, spend a little $$$ on your slicer. I initially bought a $99 L E M slicer from A-cademy and it broke on me about a month ago while slicing a home smoked ham. It is constructed mostly of plastic and not very durable. Also a pain to clean. Im looking for a replacement now.
        I bought a Chef's Choice slicer Model #615A it works good and is easy to clean. Slices best when the bacon had been in the freezer for about 3 hours.

Comment

I'm a little late to the bacon party, but I just picked up my first pork belly from Costco.
          I plan on using pink cure.
          My question is, if I want to cold smoke it, at what outside temperature would that not be advisable?

Comment

Do you have to smoke it? How do you cold smoke with a regular smoker?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              I'm a little late to the bacon party, but I just picked up my first pork belly from Costco.
              I plan on using pink cure.
              My question is, if I want to cold smoke it, at what outside temperature would that not be advisable?
              It's a little too hot now.
              I like ambient temps of under 65
              That allows for an overnight smoke starting at about 800pm as the temp falls and I'll put it at 600pm

Ten hours of smoke

Comment

I have the same hanger from Amazon and it works great!! Good quality slicer makes a big difference!!

Comment

I too am late to the game and just bought my first belly.... that being said doing some research and some people complain about curing process causing bacon to be to salty. Is the best way to combat this to soak in water a few hours after cure, as I do not like to much salt flavor.

Secondly if you use the sugar / maple syrup route does it come out to sweet, not looking for candied bacon.

Lastly anyone have good recipe with ingredient amount per lbs of the pork belly?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                    I too am late to the game and just bought my first belly.... that being said doing some research and some people complain about curing process causing bacon to be to salty. Is the best way to combat this to soak in water a few hours after cure, as I do not like to much salt flavor.

Secondly if you use the sugar / maple syrup route does it come out to sweet, not looking for candied bacon.

Lastly anyone have good recipe with ingredient amount per lbs of the pork belly?
                    In regards to saltiness, yes, you definitely need to do a thorough rinse and soak. The last slab I did, I left it in a tub overnight in the garage fridge, then let it dry on a rack for another day before smoking.

No help on the sugar. I use a very small amount of it in my cure. I do add a lot of garlic powder though. I love garlic-y bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                      In regards to saltiness, yes, you definitely need to do a thorough rinse and soak. The last slab I did, I left it in a tub overnight in the garage fridge, then let it dry on a rack for another day before smoking.

No help on the sugar. I use a very small amount of it in my cure. I do add a lot of garlic powder though. I love garlic-y bacon.
                      Great info. on soak and dry that is what I will do, hoping I didn't put to much sugar, only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post

Look up EQ curing method or look at some of my recipes for bacon. You never have to worry about over salting your meat if you use 2.5% salt X weight of the meat. The best thing with this method is you can cure for as long as you want and it will never be over salted.

Comment

Anyone ever made buckboard bacon? Its bacon made from a pork shoulder and not belly. I'm gonna grab a few pork belly slabs for my next batch and also a pork shoulder and give it a try.
                          Last edited by Grizz83; 05-17-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Here is a link to a calculator that calculates the amount of cure/salt/sugar need for the weight of your pork belly.
                            Small business web hosting offering additional business services such as: domain name registrations, email accounts, web services, FrontPage help, online community resources and various small business solutions.

Comment

New, bigger slicer arrived and I was finally able to finish up my first batch of bacon. It’s quite tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                                New, bigger slicer arrived and I was finally able to finish up my first batch of bacon. It’s quite tasty!

Looks good!! What slicer did you buy? I’ve been using a large sharp knife but it gets old.

Comment

Working...
                                X