What kinda lease will $5,000 get you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
    There is a pretty good lease in Nacogdoches county that shoots some big deer every year. I’ve heard it’s tough hunting and you have to be a really good hunter to get a big one every year though.
    and silent feeders

Comment

What do you guys think about this? I lease 3000 acres in South Texas (Duval County) where the landowner and I started managing and protein program about a year ago. We have already seen outstanding results in quality and numbers of deer so we added a few more protein feeders and watering stations. About the oldest deer we have are 3 1/2 years old and we have decided we won't take any trophies until they reach the age of 7 1/2 which means (aside from a strange buck showing up) we won't be taking any trophy bucks for 4 more years. We will begin culling 4.5 year olds next season (2018) though. We have talked about adding a few quality, management minded hunters but we're not sure about whether many hunters would be willing to join our lease/program knowing they will not take any trophy bucks until the 2021 season...and even then, would have to be VERY selective about what they take.
      We do have plenty of hogs, quail, dove, and predators.
      Currently, only myself and the landowner hunt this 3000 acres and we have only taken 3 deer in the past 5 years. Not because of a lack of opportunity...we just don't shoot them.
      We are only considering adding hunters to help defray the high cost of the protein feed our deer are consuming. The lease cost would be $5000/hunter plus a portion of feed. We would have to be very careful about who we would allow to join us.
      My question is.....Is there any demand for a lease of this type with the restrictions mentioned above? Or should we wait for 4 more years when we start taking trophies, and then charge the $8000 going rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Down South View Post
        What do you guys think about this? I lease 3000 acres in South Texas (Duval County) where the landowner and I started managing and protein program about a year ago. We have already seen outstanding results in quality and numbers of deer so we added a few more protein feeders and watering stations. About the oldest deer we have are 3 1/2 years old and we have decided we won't take any trophies until they reach the age of 7 1/2 which means (aside from a strange buck showing up) we won't be taking any trophy bucks for 4 more years. We will begin culling 4.5 year olds next season (2018) though. We have talked about adding a few quality, management minded hunters but we're not sure about whether many hunters would be willing to join our lease/program knowing they will not take any trophy bucks until the 2021 season...and even then, would have to be VERY selective about what they take.
        We do have plenty of hogs, quail, dove, and predators.
        Currently, only myself and the landowner hunt this 3000 acres and we have only taken 3 deer in the past 5 years. Not because of a lack of opportunity...we just don't shoot them.
        We are only considering adding hunters to help defray the high cost of the protein feed our deer are consuming. The lease cost would be $5000/hunter plus a portion of feed. We would have to be very careful about who we would allow to join us.
        My question is.....Is there any demand for a lease of this type with the restrictions mentioned above? Or should we wait for 4 more years when we start taking trophies, and then charge the $8000 going rate?
        You would probably be better off waiting and charging more. I think many people would have a hard time spending 5k for a couple deer and no trophy. It’s obvious more and more people are becoming trophy hunters rather than meat hunters. Are y’all MLD? It sounds like you all are on to a honey hole in about 4 years if you keep your program in check. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          If only there was a device that you could put on the down-tube on your protein feeder to control the amount of feed and time it to a cycle..
          Maybe I missed something but isn't the reason you feed protein is for them to eat all they want.

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
            Maybe I missed something but isn't the reason you feed protein is for them to eat all they want.
            You did miss something.

The reason you feed protien is to supplement natural forage.
            If you can afford to do this using free choice feeders, and can assure a high level of consumption, great..but if you cant.. hammer (the tbh'er who was quoted) sells a product to assist with the dispersement of the feed in a controlled and managed manner.

Comment

You did miss something.

The reason you feed protien is to supplement natural forage.
              If you can afford to do this using free choice feeders, and can assure a high level of consumption, great..but if you cant.. hammer (the tbh'er who was quoted) sells a product to assist with the dispersement of the feed in a controlled and managed manner.
              Then why feed protein? Why not just feed corn its a lot cheaper. It does not make sense to feed protein if they cant eat all they want. Most Trophy deer leases have free choice feeders with no restrictions on how much they eat.

Comment

I can't afford to feed all they want, I use it as an attractant since my neighbors don't feed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  Then why feed protein? Why not just feed corn its a lot cheaper. It does not make sense to feed protein if they cant eat all they want. Most Trophy deer leases have free choice feeders with no restrictions on how much they eat.
                  Because I think some bucks prefer other feed to corn, I want be feeding the other feed if they do.

Comment

Corn isnt protien. Corn is bait.

Supplementing a little is still better than not at all.

Comment

Corn isnt protien. Corn is bait.

Supplementing a little is still better than not at all.
                      Protein is bait when they only get a small portion.

Comment

Protein is bait when they only get a small portion.
                        Yeh ok.
                        Sure. [emoji1]

Comment

Most 5000.00 deerleases are considered trophy deer leases

Comment

$5,000 deerlease and you can expect to spend another $5,000 home food plots protein corn. Maybe you're thinking of$1,500 deerlease

Comment

Most 5000.00 deerleases are considered trophy deer leases
                              Whats a "trophy" deer lease ?

Comment

I guess I 150 would be considered a trophy on most ranches

Comment

Working...
                                X