Clear All

Unit 34 early archery

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
      Unit 34 early archery

Congrats. Great pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For anyone that has archery hunted New Mexico in the early season Sept 1-14 what 7 days would you pick. Sept 1-7 or Sept 7-14. I would love to get into rut. Will they be calling the week of Sept 7-14? thanks

Comment

For anyone that has archery hunted New Mexico in the early season Sept 1-14 what 7 days would you pick. Sept 1-7 or Sept 7-14. I would love to get into rut. Will they be calling the week of Sept 7-14? thanks
          Yes you will have rut action in early Sept, especially in 34. That is a very special unit which I have not had the pleasure of hunting, but try to every year.

Hunt the last 7 days if that's all you have. If you can squeeze any more time I would do it as well.

New Moon is on the 8th/9th...everything else is up to fate and Mother nature.

I have heard the drought is pretty bad out there this year. If things don't change, finding water sources will be a very important strategy.

Comment

I drew NM 21A early archery! I would appreciate any info from anyone that has hunted it. All I know is that it is supposedly a backcountry hunt which is why I put in for it. We shall see! Looks like I need to plan a scouting trip to NM this summer and start shooting my bow!

Comment

I’d hunt as many days as I could and my strategy in the first hunt probably wouldn’t be chasing bugles. I’d scout maps and google earth and then go out on some scouting trips and find water. I’d be willing to bet decent money that water is going to be the key for you on your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                I’d hunt as many days as I could and my strategy in the first hunt probably wouldn’t be chasing bugles. I’d scout maps and google earth and then go out on some scouting trips and find water. I’d be willing to bet decent money that water is going to be the key for you on your hunt.
                There's quite a bit of water in 34, and until you get low, not a lot of tank water. There are lots of seeps and springs and creeks up there. Unless I was hunting low elevation in that unit, I wouldn't focus on water. I'd focus on ridge lines with dark timber and meadows all close together(which there is a lot of in that unit).

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  There's quite a bit of water in 34, and until you get low, not a lot of tank water. There are lots of seeps and springs and creeks up there. Unless I was hunting low elevation in that unit, I wouldn't focus on water. I'd focus on ridge lines with dark timber and meadows all close together(which there is a lot of in that unit).

Pick your poison. The point is, they likely won’t be keyed up and screaming with any regularity during the first hunt. The first archery hunt isn’t going to be a rut hunt. Find other ways to get into the bulls. I don’t typically put in for 34 but have several different buddies who have hunted there multiple times successfully. The one thing they all had in common on the early hunt was success over water.

Every one of those guys have told me that they would rather have the early archery tag in 34 rather than the late archery tag SPECIFICALLY to hunt water. Not as sexy of a hunt as spot and stalk or chasing bugles but it is effective.

Comment

After getting skunked here in NM for bulls the last 7 years I decided to put in for cow tags across the board. I was able to draw in 37. Actually looking forward to a nice slow paced hunt for a young cow. The hunt starts right after thanksgiving.
                    I will probably take my mountain bike an use the 41 rem mag for the hunt. I will pack a lion tags as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                      I just applied to Nevada for the first time. I applied for a cow elk tag, any weapon hunt in the winter time I think I may have a decent shot at drawing.
                      Which units? I live here.

Comment

Unit 34 early archery
                        Congrats! I would love to have that tag.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          After getting skunked here in NM for bulls the last 7 years I decided to put in for cow tags across the board. I was able to draw in 37. Actually looking forward to a nice slow paced hunt for a young cow. The hunt starts right after thanksgiving.
                          I will probably take my mountain bike an use the 41 rem mag for the hunt. I will pack a lion tags as well.

I wish NM would let NR's apply for cow tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                            Which units? I live here.
                            The unit I think I have a decent shot at drawing is 72 late cow elk.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              I wish NM would let NR's apply for cow tags.
                              I use to be able to buy UW cow tags for 100 bucks. Now it's hard to find them for less than 500.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                I use to be able to buy UW cow tags for 100 bucks. Now it's hard to find them for less than 500.
                                I'd take one for $500 in 34 a couple of years ago. The year I went I tried to find one and couldn't find one for less than $1000.00. Though being local you probably have better contacts for that kind of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X