Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Low-Carb-Friendly chicken fried backstrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low-Carb-Friendly chicken fried backstrap?

Haters are gonna hate! But my boyfriend and I are on a keto diet, low carb/high fat. No grains of any kind and little to no carbs. We are shedding pounds daily, it's awesome and we can still eat delicious food. As much meat, veggies (no potatoes), oil & fat as we want. Anyone else out there that has done this? I want to know what we can batter our backstrap with--we can still fry it with oil or butter, we just can't use flour! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almond flour should work.

Comment

You can use pork rinds or check what the carbs are for almond flour. A lot of keto recipes use this to make breads.

Comment

I am doing the low carb thing currently. I wasn't a fan of the pork rinds even though I like to eat them on their own. I liked almond flour with grated parmesean mixed in. I have been thinking about using ground up cauliflower, but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
          You can use pork rinds or check what the carbs are for almond flour. A lot of keto recipes use this to make breads.
          We do this, mostly for fish but the problem is pork rinds are already fried so when you fry them again it can come out tasting burnt. Maybe just fry the meat and then roll it in the ground pork rinds.

My wife doesn't do low carb but I do so most often we are eating baked or grilled. She "crusts" lots of stuff in thin sliced almonds and that works for both of us.

She's also been buying Green Giant riced cauliflower and making pizza crusts with it. I love it.
          Last edited by TexaRican; 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
            Almond flour should work.

But is it yummy? I'm worried about it being gritty.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post

Awesome suggestion!! Would have NEVER thought of that, thanks!

Comment

in... almond flour is interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                  I am doing the low carb thing currently. I wasn't a fan of the pork rinds even though I like to eat them on their own. I liked almond flour with grated parmesean mixed in. I have been thinking about using ground up cauliflower, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cool!! I thought about using Parmesan, too. Also curious about the cauliflower. Not sure if it would have a gritty texture when ground and fried?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    We do this, mostly for fish but the problem is pork rinds are already fried so when you fry them again it can come out tasting burnt. Maybe just fry the meat and then roll it in the ground pork rinds.

My wife doesn't do low carb but I do so most often we are eating baked or grilled. She "crusts" lots of stuff in thin sliced almonds and that works for both of us.

She's also been buying Green Giant riced cauliflower and making pizza crusts with it. I love it.

Awesome, never heard of the "riced cauliflower," will definitely try that!

Comment

I did the riced cauliflower and it wasn't for me. But I haven't tried already riced. I made my own in a food processor. I fried it over a light bit of olive oil but it never really dried out like I expected it to. I'll have to try the already riced stuff.

Now cauliflower "potato" salad... that stuff is awesome. I made a big ole tub of it and it tastes just like real potato salad. Even the kids and Momma were eating it. The kids didn't know it was cauliflower until I told them.

Agree with the almond flower posts. Also look for CarbQuick. I know it is sold at Amazon.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLizaMarie View Post
                        Awesome, never heard of the "riced cauliflower," will definitely try that!

My wife made a mean "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower once. HOLY SMOKES

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                          I did the riced cauliflower and it wasn't for me. But I haven't tried already riced. I made my own in a food processor. I fried it over a light bit of olive oil but it never really dried out like I expected it to. I'll have to try the already riced stuff.

Now cauliflower "potato" salad... that stuff is awesome. I made a big ole tub of it and it tastes just like real potato salad. Even the kids and Momma were eating it. The kids didn't know it was cauliflower until I told them.

Agree with the almond flower posts. Also look for CarbQuick. I know it is sold at Amazon.

Good luck!

Yum, cauliflower potato salad! Thanks for the tips!!

Comment

Coconut flour is keto friendly.

Comment

Made cauliflower "potato pancakes" last night. Delicious!

Comment

Working...
                              X