Backyard putting green DIY - real grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
    When you going to put in the sand trap Litter box??
    Fixed it... LOL

Comment

Wow. This is just plan cool. Ive had friends talk about this, and heard of peoples plans to do it, but no one i know has ever actually done it. That is fantastic.

Do you get a bunch of bounce from it or is it relatively smooth. Looks great!

Comment

I used to have a neighbor down the street that had his whole yard done like that. Beautiful yard, but he worked it every day (retired).

Comment

This is awesome! I just purchased a putting matt and am disappointed by it. I have plenty of extra room where I live. I think this will be my next project!

Comment

IDK how they did it, but I close on my new house in 2 weeks and this is in the backyard.

I was thinking about taking it up and making a fire pit area, but IDK.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
              Wow. This is just plan cool. Ive had friends talk about this, and heard of peoples plans to do it, but no one i know has ever actually done it. That is fantastic.

Do you get a bunch of bounce from it or is it relatively smooth. Looks great!
              Its very smooth now with virtually no bounce at all...its a beautiful roll. But that was after several top dressings of sand. Rolling it right after mowing really helps makes it smooth too.

Comment

Oh and if you have never played the Moody Gardens course....they have the most outstanding putting greens I have ever seen.....and by a long shot. They used paspalum grass and those greens were just immaculate...not a blemish anywhere on them. What a great grass for a green.

I use Celebration Bermuda cause that's what I already had planted here at my house and it is pretty awesome too!

Comment

How often do you have the mow the green?
                  If you get lazy, and do not mow it as often as you should does that affect the green?

I have never seen anyone do this, and simply figured there was some magic required to make it work. Why aren't these everywhere?

Comment

Yup . I want

Comment

Originally posted by TexasandKansas View Post
                      How often do you have the mow the green?
                      If you get lazy, and do not mow it as often as you should does that affect the green?

I have never seen anyone do this, and simply figured there was some magic required to make it work. Why aren't these everywhere?
                      You can mow it every day no problem. I have let it go for 3-4 days before without mowing. It just makes them really tall and slow....alot like a tee box. Once you mow it and roll it again its good to go.

If you already have the grass in place its really not that hard as long as you have good drainage.

Comment

just plain awesome. and one 3 putt. youre ready for some scrambles!!

Comment

I'm impressed, but this gave me bad memory flashbacks to a summer job I had in high school mowing 18 greens every single day on a developing golf course in Arizona (Desert Mountain). That and grass bunker mowing with a hover mower made for some long days. Like you said, I was always surprised how much grass would grow in 24 hours.

Nice work!
                          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            You can mow it every day no problem. I have let it go for 3-4 days before without mowing. It just makes them really tall and slow....alot like a tee box. Once you mow it and roll it again its good to go.

If you already have the grass in place its really not that hard as long as you have good drainage.

That was much more commitment than I was prepared for.
                            What if I mow it about every 2 weeks / directly before intending to use it....

Do you mow yours everyday?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasandKansas View Post
                              That was much more commitment than I was prepared for.
                              What if I mow it about every 2 weeks / directly before intending to use it....

Do you mow yours everyday?
                              I mow mine about every other day. 2 weeks is too long to wait IMO because that grass could grow at least 2 inches in that time. You would cut too much off at once and scalp it. It would never have a chance to fill in right at ground level.

Not to mention mowing 2" grass down to 3/16" with a manual reel mower would probably kill a man.

If you had a motorized reel mower then it would be fine but it would still be yellow and scalped.

Comment

I'd rather have a nice archery range--

Comment

Working...
                                X