• Show
Clear All

Need another year }:O

Comment

Very cool surprise!

Comment

Nice surprises

Comment

That is awesome. I would clear my calendar and spend some serious time out there.

Comment

Got some nice bucks!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome surprise! I also live on a small low fence property. I don't hardly ever see bucks until the rut is about to start. Good luck this coming season!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Will be rooting for some daytime pics! One of them will slip up I bet...

Comment

It’s so interesting how deer regionally have a specific look. I knew those were Medina County deer immediately. In fact I’d be willing to bet you’re north of HWY 90. I recently put a camera on our tank and was equally impressed with the activity.

I’m between Hondo and Bandera, low fence, large ranch compared to our neighbors, feed year round protein, 2-3 acre irrigated food plot planted fall and spring, 2 acre stock tank central on ranch. Cotton seed, alfalfa bales, corn etc. We typically only shoot pigs...some culls and a trophy every few years. My neighbors have done well though. Ranch has been in my family for over a century. I run 8-10 cameras year round to know my heard for age and health...and because it’s what I love. Over the last 5 yrs I’ve learned a tremendous amount specific to our herd in the area.

To be clear I don’t think we’re neighbors, or that we share deer. I will say your story is identical to several of my neighbors. I put my life and a large sum of money into this land for the health of the wildlife and my own fulfillment. Wouldn’t change a thing and it’s what it is. Just remember to thank your neighbor and or try to return the favor as a gesture especially if you kill a trophy he has likely grown and been watching for the last 5-6 years. Or worse kill a 4 yr old trophy who wasn’t quite ripe. As hard as I try to to not get emotionally attached to my deer, its who I am...can’t help it. I would assume I’m not alone.

If you like your neighbor and want him to like you, try to become an extension of his ranch and plan as much as you can within your means. About this time each year get on the same page with him and know the hit list, cull list and by God don’t shoot list. Stay in touch through the season and chat often after hunts to recap what you saw or shot etc. You can trust that he wants to know.

They can get bigger in our parts, but you definitely have a few good men there. You get what you give in every way. Keep us posted.

Yes, yes...a high fence, one of these days soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
                      Looks like you have good neighbors! Enjoy and return the favor when you can. We feed a lot of protein, do food plots and pass on young and middle aged bucks on our place. We have gotten to know a few neighbors pretty good. We have somewhat of the same outlook on deer harvest and share photos of a lot of the same deer. For some reason inferior bucks have become top priority to harvest. Although the kids rules are not as strict, especially on first bucks. We have some pretty decent deer running around for our area. At this point our culls are hunted pretty hard and darned hard to harvest, but the deer we wan/t to leave are regulars. Good luck this season!

Hydro, we have a very similar experience and intent except my neighbors leave the feeding and picture taking up to me. Are you in Medina County? I’m debating the first buck rule. Looking back at our harvest pics those first bucks were cream of the crop 2 1/2 yr old deer. I’d so much rather see it be a cull versus a perfectly symmetrical 8 pt with potential.

As of this year I’m thinking we’re going to change our approach on young inferior deer, for lack of a better term. I don’t think they’re inferior, but they lack the genetics I prefer. Now after 5 years at the helm watching these bucks develop year after year, I have yet to see an inferior buck turn into something that can compare to a clean typical buck at 5-6 yrs old. And to your point the culls are **** hard to harvest especially as they mature. I’d rather cull them while we can. I am familiar with the Kleberg research about the effectiveness of culling especially low fence, but I feel like I know my herd well enough and who returns each year. We can compare notes in 5 years with our experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I looked at your pics again and those are fantastic animals...I think better than my current senior class this year. That would also lead me to believe your not to far north. If you don’t mind, where are you located?

This is the most I’ve posted, my apologies. The Medina County thing and your story got my attention. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nolove View Post
                          I looked at your pics again and those are fantastic animals...I think better than my current senior class this year. That would also lead me to believe your not to far north. If you don’t mind, where are you located?
                          This is the most I’ve posted, my apologies. The Medina County thing and your story got my attention. Thanks

Definitely no need to apologize. I'm NW of Hondo. Only one of my two bordering neighbors feeds protein, etc and judging from your description I don't think you are them. But that sounds like a great piece of property you have. Hopefully your neighbors aren't greedy and don't take advantage/abuse all of your hard and expensive work
                          Last edited by Longue Carabine; 08-11-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

We are about 8 counties North of Medina County. Story is the same, but getting buy in from the neighbors is key to increase our chances. We had two deer with droptines that were passed on this year between us and the neighbors. Trail cam photos were shared and discussed. No doubt that could of went South, but we decided to try and establish trust. It has worked out so far. Mistakes will be made, but so far we are discussing specific deer that don't seem to be developing like others. These are becoming very hard to hunt targets once agreed upon. Looking at last year they could of been shot early in the season, but became very elusive as the season progressed. This year the kids and neighbors are ready to put their tags on easily identifiable deer, whether they are deemed inferior or trophy's. Being low fenced is tough to manage as folks are well aware of, but we are trying. I will say one neighbor was looking for someone with like minded management principles. Turns out his candle was relit so to speak. We now work with each other on food plot locations, planting and water sources on our adjoining properties. Another neighbor doesn't want to sink much money into feeding, but he is a good guy and only wants to shoot one young inferior buck deer to eat. His wife won't let him shoot does. Our agreement with him is we will shoot does as needed and won't tell his wife. Its not all low fenced rose's we have two neighbors on one side of us that substance hunt. Nothing we can do about that other than worry about the management practices we have put in place as far from possible from them. During the rut the bucks move a lot....and it is what it is....sometimes we are the recipients of a good buck we have never seen or fed....that we know of.

Comment

That is awesome. Looks like you have some good genetics running around.

Comment

You should start a thread, “It’s not always Low Fence Roses”. It sounds like you and your neighbors are well ahead of us. This year my goal is to expand my network of neighbors to the next ring of ranches. Every year throughout the summer our protein, plots and water pulls in a lot of neighboring bucks. About the time they shed velvet they disperse back to their home turf for the rut. I’m curious where and how far these guys go and more importantly I’d like to know if harvested mainly to confirm age.

I’ve been considering organizing a “Cooperative” meeting /BBQ for an in person meet and great to ease everyone into the idea of a semi/ centralized plan. I think that could be very effective and at a minimum friends are good especially when we’re operating in a very remote area. We’re your efforts organized or were they calls and fence line chats?

Comment

Working...
                                X