• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I want to try snow goose now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Man I want to try snow goose now.
      Give me a few weeks and I'll have some for you.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Give me a few weeks and I'll have some for you.
        Man I'll drive to Sweeny and take any of them off your hands you don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          Man I'll drive to Sweeny and take any of them off your hands you don't want.
          I'll be coming in from Arkansas going through H-town I'm sure we can meet up somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Soak in Dr Pepper overnight, cut across grain and chicken fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I thought the first guy who told me about Dr. Pepper marinade was nuts.

THen I used it. Its pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

That’s what I do with my deer back strap. Except I use Coca Cola.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                That’s what I do with my deer back strap. Except I use Coca Cola.
                Same same, the acid in it breaks down the meat and tenderizes it some. I rinse before frying and can't taste any of the dr pepper/coke.

Comment

Same same, the acid in it breaks down the meat and tenderizes it some. I rinse before frying and can't taste any of the dr pepper/coke.

I don’t rinse and it adds a sweet note to the meat. Delicious. Never tried it on birds, but that’s the way my grandpa did it, so that’s the way I do it. He drank about 15 cokes a day so I figured that was just another way for him to get his coke. Lol

Comment

Hang for three to four days at 55 degrees. Pluck Specks and skin the rest. Gut and debone. If you age them a few days before you prepare them the enzymes will break down the meat. I've have gawd awful gose and I've had excellent goose. With birds, the taste is affected more by what they eat than it is with ruminants. So some can get canada geese that have been feeding on burmuda grass and taste like it. Other can get canadas feeding on corn and oats and taste wonderful.

A grey that has been feeding on rice, plucked and fried is a tremendous bird. A grey that has been feeding on mud bugs and dirt weeds tastes like you would think dirt weeds taste like.

You can tell by the the color of the fat. Anything with white or off white fat has been eating seeds. Ducks with yellow fat are probably ok. Ducks with orange fat have been eating bugs and such. Skin those and put them in the sausage pile.

Much of the flavor is in the skin. Snows should be skinned because that stuff is disgusting. I think it is specs that have pretty good tasting skin.

We can all argue about how bad or good birds taste but it has mostly to do with what they were eating, how long they were hung and how they were handled and prepared. I soak all the birds we get in North Texas except pintails. Either in a marinade or a brine. Pintails are strictly seed eaters so the breasts get roasted or fried and the legs go into confit. The rest can't be trusted not to dabble on the bugs now and then...well, maybe the teal and a canvasback or two.

Comment

Snow geese can be excellent table fare if handled properly. Like most wild game, aging greatly improves the flavor and tenderness.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        A flip flop would taste good like this. ^^^^^
                        Hush your mouff!!!

Everybody does dove poppers this way, and we never hear people trashing dove!

Comment

PS- I eat goose hearts....taste like little pieces of filet mignon alone or excellent as poppers.

Don't waste the goose hearts boys, they are little pieces of candy!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Hush your mouff!!!

Everybody does dove poppers this way, and we never hear people trashing dove!
                            That's because dove ain't big enough to do much else with.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Ol Luke Clayton of the Dallas Morning News Outdoors Page fame used to pimp Dr. Pepper and Soy sauce for marinading doves every year back in the day. We tried it and it wasn't bad. Gave it a sweet yet savory bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X