"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
    After seeing your post I started researching these but couldn’t find a YouTube video of someone actually climbing with one. I have multiple climbers but they are heavy. What is the climbing method with these?? Thanks for sharing the idea. Never been aware of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of guys use the strap on tree steps.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
      So I wasn’t aware of such a thing. Why are they so popular? What’s the benefit over a lock-on or climber?
      Biggest benefit is size and weight. This pic is everything I need to be at hunting height (my top-step platform for the sticks hasn't came in yet but it bolts to to top stick and only adds about 1lb)

Whole thing weights about 8lb, vs 12-15 for a stand alone, plus I can toss that in a day pack, strap on the sticks and be good to go.

Safety is increased too, you literally can't fall out of the stand since you are strapped in, I suppose the tether could break but mine is the same stuff military dudes jump out of helicopters with so I'm not too worried about it for what I'm using it for.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jspradley; 01-12-2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Biggest benefit is size and weight. This pic is everything I need to be at hunting height (my top-step platform for the sticks hasn't came in yet but it bolts to to top stick and only adds about 1lb)

Whole thing weights about 8lb, vs 12-15 for a stand alone, plus I can toss that in a day pack, strap on the sticks and be good to go.

Safety is increased too, you literally can't fall out of the stand since you are strapped in, I suppose the tether could break but mine is the same stuff military dudes jump out of helicopters with so I'm not too worried about it for what I'm using it for.

What climbing sticks and top step platform are you using? I think I’m going this route next year, especially for public land hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
          After seeing your post I started researching these but couldn’t find a YouTube video of someone actually climbing with one. I have multiple climbers but they are heavy. What is the climbing method with these?? Thanks for sharing the idea. Never been aware of them.

look up The Hunting Public they use them alot and search for videos they go over their setups too

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
            What climbing sticks and top step platform are you using? I think I’m going this route next year, especially for public land hunting.

Helium sticks, the platform is an Artisan Outdoors, I dont have it yet but the guys on Saddlehunter seem to really like it

Comment

Seems cool, but not for the price on Tethrd. $500 without tree steps, sys haulers, or ropemans, ugh!

Comment

Seems cool, but not for the price on Tethrd. $500 without tree steps, sys haulers, or ropemans, ugh!
                I made mine from a sit-drag some dyneema rope and a rock climbing harness. I have maybe $150 in everything but the steps.

I've heard good stuff about Tethrd but they are proud of their gear! I believe it's all US made at least.

I actually like the 2 part setup, it may be overkill but I like having the RCH as a backup just in case the saddle fails vs having just a single unit
                Last edited by Jspradley; 01-13-2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I made mine from a sit-drag some dyneema rope and a rock climbing harness. I have maybe $150 in everything but the steps.

I've heard good stuff about Tethrd but they are proud of their gear! I believe it's all US made at least.

I actually like the 2 part setup, it may be overkill but I like having the RCH as a backup just in case the saddle fails vs having just a single unit

Have you done all days sits in it? Is it comfortable? I know my @$$ hurts when I sit on a seat all day. Wondering if these are more comfortable or if the straps dig in after awhile.

Comment

Have you done all days sits in it? Is it comfortable? I know my @$$ hurts when I sit on a seat all day. Wondering if these are more comfortable or if the straps dig in after awhile.
                    I have not, longest ive been in it was about 4hrs. I don't think I could sit in any one spot all day long but some guys do it.

It takes some tweaking and getting used to, there was some hip pinch until I got everything all adjusted. Getting into "saddle shape" is a real thing.

It's a calf workout doing a half-lean half-sit for that long too.. lol

Comment

I have not, longest ive been in it was about 4hrs. I don't think I could sit in any one spot all day long but some guys do it.

It takes some tweaking and getting used to, there was some hip pinch until I got everything all adjusted. Getting into "saddle shape" is a real thing.

It's a calf workout doing a half-lean half-sit for that long too.. lol

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Comment

They just announced a new saddle last week.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2VgvBut0U"]The Tethrd Phantom - The Tree Saddle Game Is Over - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                        I just ordered a Mantis saddle. The 2 week lead time is going to kill me with anticipation. Should be rockin by GRXH.

Comment

I saw that. Figured it would be on backorder before released so I just ordered the Mantis on sale.

Going to use my Muddy Pro sticks with 1 step aides.
                          I already have a linemans rope I made with an ascended and and 8mm climbing rope. Will make my main rope the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                            I saw that. Figured it would be on backorder before released so I just ordered the Mantis on sale.

Going to use my Muddy Pro sticks with 1 step aides.
                            I already have a linemans rope I made with an ascended and and 8mm climbing rope. Will make my main rope the same way.
                            What ascender are you using? 8mm rope is no bueno on a ropeman FYI

Comment

What ascender are you using? 8mm rope is no bueno on a ropeman FYI
                              Why is the 8mm no good? If its strong enough to catch a dynamic rock climbing fall seems like it would have no problem holding a static load in a tree

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                                Why is the 8mm no good? If its strong enough to catch a dynamic rock climbing fall seems like it would have no problem holding a static load in a tree

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
                                8mm is fine for a tether, just not for use with a Ropeman 1.

It's not about the rope strength, it's the OD of the rope. The Ropeman 1 is only rated to grip from 10-13mm rope.

The Ropeman 2 is rated for 8-13mm rope, so if that's what he's using or some different ascender then carry on.

With that said I've hung from an 8mm tether with a Ropeman 1, just at ground level to see if it would work though and it held. I wouldn't trust it at height though.

Comment

Working...
                                X