New SUV's w/Turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SUV's w/Turbos

I am in the market for possibly an SUV for the wife since she is retiring and having to give up her company 2017 Explorer.

She likes the Explorer but i am concerned about the 4 cylinder Turbo as the only engine being offered in the new 2020's. As I understand, these new turbos have to or need to run high octane gas to get the mileage and to keep the "knock" out of the engine and to keep everything together and not wear out components to quick. I have researched and most I have read have said this. I even had one person tell me from experience when they opened the gas tank cover it read 92+ octane. He ran regular unleaded and spent $5000 replacing the Turbo.

Any truth to this, having to run high octane gas in the new turbo engines. Lots of price difference in regular unleaded and high octane.

Im unsure about the octane issue in the turbo explorers.. but I've driven the police EcoBoost explorers and they are ffaasstt.. theyll keep up with the hemi charger..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

According to fuel economy.gov it uses regular gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        Im unsure about the octane issue in the turbo explorers.. but I've driven the police EcoBoost explorers and they are ffaasstt.. theyll keep up with the hemi charger..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        Yep, fast and fun to drive! (Ford Explorer Sport, obviously not the police model). Ours had the 3.5L ecoboost.

When I would hammer down on it, it would get a little loose. Felt like driving a race car.

Comment

Unfortunately from what I have found, the 2020 Explorers only offer the 4 cylinder turbo, no Ecoboost engine.

Comment

My wife's 2017 explorer has the 3.5 v6 TT and runs better on regular. No knocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Unfortunately from what I have found, the 2020 Explorers only offer the 4 cylinder turbo, no Ecoboost engine.

Yes they do. You just have to get the Platinum or ST model.

Platinum is 365hp and the ST is 400hp.

We are actually considering the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
              X