Did a bee removal today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a bee removal today.

Stopped to look at a bee removal yesterday. Small metal shed building had bees under the floor. The entrance was a small 1/4” gap between the floor and the joist. Did not see a huge amount of bee activity, so I had no idea how large of a hive it was. My wife and I went back this morning to see what would could do. I took a small floor jack just in case I needed to get the building up a little higher. Sure glad to did.
    I removed the small tin flashing and looked under the floor. The hive completely filled the area about 24” deep, by 30” wide. It ended up being a pretty decent spiced hive. I’ll post a few pictures. I also have some video, but not sure I can get that on here.

Good times
    Looking forward to pics

Comment

Oh, I ended up with 3-4 stings on my hands, and one on my chin. I put on fairly heavy duty latex gloves cause there was too much honey to be using my regular leather bee gloves. Got the one on my chin cause I forgot to zip up good after getting a drink of water. I took a big swallow of liquid Benydrill before I left the job, but my fingers and my chin are swelling. Tomorrow might not be so good.....
      But I do have a five gallon bucket that’s 3/4 full of honey filled comb. I put a lid on the bucket, but not before 50-75 bees got in there. It will have to wait till the morning, we are getting ready to head to Concan to see the Bellamy Brothers tonight!
      Last edited by Witchgrass; 06-09-2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F4C1CAF-B2A5-4538-9513-CEF63862A0C4.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	24542525
        Entrance.

Comment

ttt

Comment

[ATTACH]911108[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]911109[/ATTACH]

Comment

Kool.....!!!

Dad had a friend that helped us rob the hives on occasion. Dad and I would be all suited up in bee gear and this guy would take off his shirt and be bare from the waist up. Crazy!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9AB1370-10C7-437E-9F75-2E7146BBB4C3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24542584
                  I filled up a 10 frame deep with the original hive, some with brood, some wth pollen, and a lot of honey. This is the left over honey that I could not put back in there. Good stuff!

Comment

that is a lot darker honey than what we have been getting. Any idea what type of pollen was in that area??

Comment

I have a removal to do on my dads deer lease camper . Be Monday before I can get around to doing it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I lerned that some beesuits are stingproof. others are not.
                        my friend had the better suit and removed the queen and three ice chests of honeycomb. 12 gallons of Goldenrod honey.

Comment

Did you relocate the bees? I have 2 relatives that started hives last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ahunter55 View Post
                            Did you relocate the bees? I have 2 relatives that started hives last year.

Yes, I put the new hive at my house.

Comment

Tuff cutout reaching under the building, good job. We have 2 removals today, one in a log on the ground and one water meter.

Comment

Working...
                              X