Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toad

Comment

Wow man! He's looking good! Looks like he might split a few more times!

Comment

Nice looking place you have.

Comment

Beautiful property. I believe if i saw a deer like that id have a heart attack before i got my bow pulled back lol...

Comment

havent gotten a pic of the big one about 10 days, really since we had 3-4 days of rain a few weeks ago. the plot has been taken over by goat weed, there are still some small pockets of peas and beans that are holding on but most of it was wiped out before the rain came a few weeks ago. half of the clover/chicory is doing pretty well, i will over seed it in september.

i have started hand corning some spots to try to catch the big one lurking and may try some alfalfa hay again.

Comment

Do you dove hunt on ur place?

Comment

no, i havent in about 20 years. there are dove all over it now though, i just havent had to urge to go hunt, especially since the day i saw that buck.

Comment

I hear ya. I was hesitant to hunt mine too the first few years but we started hunting it opening weekend and killed a lot of doves and it didnt seem to affect the deer at all.

Comment

well the big deer showed back up after being gone (from cams anyway) for 10 days, and then had two more young bucks show up this week that i am real excited to see and hope they can make it another few years. just like last time, the plots are all but done, i think it was a combination of planting a week or two late, not having enough land planted, and obviously lack of rain. the clover is holding on, but barely, need some rain bad.

i am probably a few weeks away from my first GLY session, which will be followed by a second one a few weeks after that, getting ready for some planting in early-mid september. i haqve some buck forage oats, wheat, and turnips left from my small plot last year for the big part of the plot and will be overseeding my clover patches with some durana if i can find it. i will probably try some winter peas too.

i dont know if i am going to expand the plot this fall or not but i definitely will next spring, hopefully adding at least another .5 acre or more, its just tough to make it bigger without being in view of prying eyes.

here is big and the two youngsters, the top one is 2 (was a spike last year) and i am hoping the droptine one is too but he may be 3...

Last edited by jshouse; 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Man what a stud. His belly is more impressive than my FIL's. He ain't done growing yet either. He's still pretty round on the end of his points. Just a great buck. How old do you think?

I wanna see a LPD of him this year! Go get him!

I like the last buck with the kicker/droptine point. He will be awesome in a year or two.

Comment

i think he is 6, pretty sure he was a 4 year old 10 the first year i saw him and a 5 year old 12 last year. i am almost as interested to see how much he weighs as i am to hold his antlers...lol.

that droptine buck will be awesome to watch if he can make it, and as a proponent of AR's i really hope he widens out a bit in the process...

Comment

a buddy of mine went out with me today and put out some peanuts, he swears by them. he also bought some kind of molasses block he found for deer, it is all in front of that moultrie camera, with some apple corn, so we will see next weekend if they take to it.

we put some peanuts and deer nuggets out on another trail too that was covered up with deer last week when i hand corned it, will see how they like them compared to corn.

the peanuts are still in the shell, he said u can get 5lb bags at costco for $4.99, a bit cheaper than the powdered attractants at walmart.

Comment

Great looking buck. Nice progression post also. I would be buying me a new protein feeder though, since that one has already caused him to break his mainbeam on that one side. That style feeder is very difficult for a buck of that size to eat out of without damaging his antlers in velvet.

Comment

good call, i replaced it two weeks ago with a boss buck style 3-way feeder, and he wont touch it. last week i filled the other one and moved it over right in the middle of the two plots, he was back on it. gonna keep it full till the deed is done....or till he leaves me broken hearted again....

Comment

here are few recent pics...the big deer is the only mature deer i have seen in over 2 months, there are still 4-5 bucks that would be shooters this year that i havent see yet this summer, so i poured some hand corn/rice bran on the ground at the front of the property to see what was moving up there and i get the big deer on it 3-4 days, even at 350pm. there are houses and goat pens/pig pens about 30 yards to the right of him in these pics. and that is the end of the property that i have to access it from so if he running around down there it is gonna change some things. really didnt want to see him up there.

here he is bringing up the rear to the protein, that is a failed clover plot behind him and the neighbors fence not to far from it.

here are the future shooters, i really like that tall 8 to the right and the other heavier one behind him in the first pic, i have both of them at 3 right now.

the tall one again on the right and the heavier one in the back left. that weird 6pt if probly gonna get an arrow from my buddy if he shows up, he is looking more and more like a 4.5 year old deer as the summer goes on, kind of cool looking though

Comment

Working...
                                X