Butcher pig cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bklem View Post
    I paid 320.00 for two of them and both were about 300. Show hogs. $150.00-$175.00 is fair
    Just to be clear, I assumed you were talking “just pig” and that is what my cost was-just the pigs. I butcher and process everything myself so no idea on that cost.

Comment

I pay between $250-300. That includes some smoked sausage and hams/bacon cured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's all going to depend on what cuts you have done, how much sausage and much of the meat you have cured. I do a show pig every year and normally ranges on average of $250.

Comment

It all depends on how you want it processed.

Comment

Live animal cost:
            50 cents a pound for an average pig.
            60 cents per pound for exceptional quality ( I was told judge this by using 3/4 - 1 inch of dip between the loins and backbone).

Processing in this area starts at 75 cents per pound plus disposal fee then they add on pricing of what you want done.
            OR
            It can also be based on a flat kill fee with per pound pricing on what cuts and processes you add.
            Definitely get it clear with the processor with exactly what they are doing for you. They all seem to have their own pitch.

Right now, they are pretty booked with all the over-runs from the local shows.
            One processor told me "don't bring me anything for a few weeks. I'm dealing with Victoria's extras right now, Goliad show is this weekend, and Refugio the weekend after that".
            The State regulates them and wont allow animals to be touching in their hanging lockers.

@Strummer ----- I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures of your set up (especially what type of farrowing house and pens you use). Pictures would be good or I will even come to Edna.
            I lease a pasture in Victoria from the Meltons and I need to sign a new lease and pay them by April 1st so I will be over that way in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
              Just to be clear, I assumed you were talking “just pig” and that is what my cost was-just the pigs. I butcher and process everything myself so no idea on that cost.

Yes sir, just the cost of the pig on the hoof.

Thanks for all the responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could probably find one for $150 to $200. I have seen people pay as much as $300 to $400. Alot of your county fair's have a freezer sale after the main auction to get money for the kids that didn't make it. Alot of people buy at these to help the kids(or parents lol) recoup a little cost. Your major shows are terminal so the pigs don't come home. I know what most of these kids have in these things as far as time and feed, not counting the price of a hog. $300 don't even put a dent in it.

Comment

Working...
                X