No announcement yet.

LIVE in Fredricksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind blowing hard out of the North may be tricky for our setup.

Comment

Turkey from this morning

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Sorry for the late update but the past few days have been crazy. My son had a successful hunt in Fredricksburg. We got to the stand early on Saturday and had 4 deer come out before the feeder when off. We then had deer coming out of the wood work. We were honing in on a mature WT doe and then an axis doe stepped out. So having to reposition and regroup my son settled in on the axis and let the 55 grain .22-250 winchester fly dropping that doe within 20 yards! Everything scattered like the police just busted a drug deal and it was quiet. Except the young shooter who what fist pumping...lol. We sat a little longer and checking scores on the Cowboys game when another WT doe steps out at 50 yards broadside. So we take advantage and put the smack down on her as well. Boom! We hang out with just 20 minutes of shooting light left we see a few deer scrambling around for cover and didnt get another clear opportunity to shoot again. The land owner pulled up and we collected our trophies and took them back to the barn to start the process of cleaning our deer. We then retreated to town for some mexican food and yelling at the television because by this time the Cowboys were trailing. Both me and my son were getting heavy eyed back at the hotel when it came down to the 4th quarter but managed to see the end of a disappointing game to a very successful day. 5am rolled around the next day and with quite a bit of encouragement the young hunter finally rose from the bed like a zombie from the walking dead. We swung by Wataburger for some breakfast and headed to the ranch. Get into the blind by 630am and await for the sun to rise with a temperature of 34 degrees. We can see several deer moving around and can tell it is going to be a more productive morning than our shutout the morning before. (which was my fault) The sun comes up and we see 5 WT spikes, 5 WT doe, 1 spike axis and 1 axis doe come out and start eating once the dinner bell rang. We were going to shoot the axis doe but there was a glare in the scope and my son could not see well enough to shoot (which shows a lot of maturity on his part to not rush a bad shot) all the deer realign to the far left and with some manuvering in the blind we were able to get back on the axis doe. As my son was talking though his shot and waiting for a broadside shot to present itself I see another deer coming from a trail behind the feeder. This deer is limping really bad and looks to be really injured. It is an axis buck with is not on the shooter list. I texted the land owner and gave him a heads up and he quickly texted back and said if my son wanted to take him that he had the green light. He thought the neighbor had shot him last week and took him off the list. SO I had to break the news to my son that we was not going to shoot the axis doe but we were going to reposition to the buck. At this point we have had the gun out the window for 20 minutes. I thought my son was going to have a heart attack when I told him.....see that big axis 50 yards in front of the stand....take him out!!! He had to wait another 10 minutes of allowing the 3 legged axis to position for a double lung shot but after a lot of patients the crack from the gun let out and the axis buck piled up 25 yards from the point of impact. Now the high fiving and fist bumping began in the blind. We still had 1 more tag to fill before calling it a trip but it was really hard not to jump out and go recover the buck. I texted the owner to let him know all was good and we were going to hang around to see if anything else shows to fill our last tag. 30 minutes rolled around and we were about to call it and a WT doe pops out and starts eating corn. My son looks at my and says that one is yours dad.....I shot big boy you can have the doe......so I looked him in the eyes and told him this was his hunt and wanted him to have a broad experience of hunting so I reached for the gun, positioned it out the window and put the doe down... one quick text to the owner and he was coming with the truck to load up our successful hunt. These moments of retreating to the woods and getting out of town to reflect, teach and bond with my son are the lessons and experiences that you take from hunting. Yes providing food for our family for a year is important as well but taking an animal is the icing on the cake. That is what I want to instill into my son and soon my daughter so they pass that on to their children. God has still made it possible for us to do this thing we call hunting and hope that it is around for years to come. Thanks for reading my experience and hope to read yours in the future. Pics forthcoming!

Comment

Pics. Enjoy. His buck measured 27" on one side and 25" on the other. He had a peg leg guessing caught it in a fence with no signs of infection. Just a nub.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We also hunt in Fredericksbug. Wettest season in a long time. Congrats on the success

Comment

Congrats, I am just North of Fredericksburg and this has been the best year hunting in several years.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

It was really wet! This is my sons first axis buck and 2nd buck ever. I have only shot 1 axis doe so he has bested me already. Granted the land owner let him shoot it because he is a youth. Very generous people and enjoy seeing kids out hunting.

Comment

Taking his axis buck to the taxi on saturday. Any suggestions for mount pose?

Comment

Working...
                      X