Ghillie suit hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghillie suit hunting

I just got my first ghillie suit and I've never used one before. I thought it would be fun for predator hunting and maybe deer season next year.

Anyone have any advice or tips?

I got one several years ago, thought it would be good for that too... that’s when I learned EVERYTHING in Texas is gnarly and snags, rips and knots a ghillie suit. Haven’t worn it since
    Last edited by Playa; 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Be prepared to snag on EVERYTHING. You will bring a lot of the woods back with you. I suggest you never take back in the house without shaking it out very thoroughly. Don't ask how I figured that one out.

Comment

I figured I would carry it to where ever I was going to set up then pull it on once I was ready to sit down. That way I'm not snagging on everything. Mine came with a carry bag I can hook to my backpack.

Comment

Trim it up real nice for bow hunting. Trim everything off the butt of the pants, make sure your string won't catch on your chest or bow arm, trim your ankles so you don't trip, trim the hood so your vision isn't blocked at full draw.

Comment

Like said above it will snag anything and everything close by. You'll also trip all over it. I suggest putting on when at hunting spot and taking off before headed back to camp.

Btw, I touched a deer wearing one a couple years ago.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I use it for turkeys with a little screen and prop up against a tree. I don't bother with the pants, they pick up too much forest, but the top and mask aren't too bad.

Comment

After snagging everything then cutting all the snags out of the bottom 6' of the threads out I realized it works very well if you wait until you get into position to put it on.
                I used one this year for the first time and set up behind a few small cedars. I have deer inside 20 feet on hand corn many times.
                Carry it to a spot, then put it on.

Comment

I have several different styles... I do NOT have one of those shaggy burlap things, but the first tip I was going to give you is to carry it to your hunting spot, but you already said that is what you intended to do... I have one that is made out of the material they make the leafy wear suits from, and I have killed a lot of stuff wearing it. Killed my first elk with a recurve wearing it... 12 yards! Had many other elk under 35 yards wearing it... You can spot n stalk with one of those.. I don't think the company I got mine from is still in business... but it's my favorite one... (actually have 2)..

Click image for larger version

Name:	CACGhillieShot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	24527272

Name:	DSC00054.JPG
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	24527273

Name:	DSC00055.JPG
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	24527274

Name:	DSC00056.JPG
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	24527275

Comment

Never worn one either.

Comment

It's fun. But as everyone has mentioned it will pick everything down around your feet.

Move slowwwwwwwwww. I've snuck up right to axis with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        I have several different styles... I do NOT have one of those shaggy burlap things, but the first tip I was going to give you is to carry it to your hunting spot, but you already said that is what you intended to do... I have one that is made out of the material they make the leafy wear suits from, and I have killed a lot of stuff wearing it. Killed my first elk with a recurve wearing it... 12 yards! Had many other elk under 35 yards wearing it... You can spot n stalk with one of those.. I don't think the company I got mine from is still in business... but it's my favorite one... (actually have 2)..

[ATTACH]893394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893397[/ATTACH]
                        Are you even in those pictures? I don't see anyone

Comment

I made one years ago, it is not any good for bow hunting, unless, I wrapped up my left arm with something like tape, that would kind of take away from the purpose of the suit. Yes, they snag on everything. Every time I have used mine, I left a trail of camo to and from where I hunted.

Good thing is deer don't know what the hell you are. I was wearing my suit one day in early November, the rut around here is usually early December. That year it was very hot, not any fun wearing that suit. I had made a ground blind, by piling up dead limbs, actually someone else had done so many years earlier and it had mostly rotted and fallen apart. But I realized what they did and liked the spot where they had made a ground blind, and built it back up, then started using it. I had limbs laying horizontally in a large triangle, about 2 ft. high, connecting three trees. I sat with my back to the biggest oak, it was partially rotten on that side, so you could lean back and be partially in the tree. Was a perfect ground blind. I used my ghillie suit there multiple times. But that one time on a hot November day, I was getting eaten up bad by mosquitos, which we normally did not have. I sat there as long as I could tolerate the heat and mosquitos and then decided I was wasting my time, nothing was moving except me and the mosquitos. So I stood up to get out of the blind and then heard something moving in the leaves behind me. I froze, then could hear whatever it was walking around in front of where I was. It turned out to be a doe, only about 30 ft. from me. I let her walk around me, I just stood there frozen, she looked at me, had no idea what I was. Then she got on the opposite side she came from and stopped. I wanted her to keep on going, so I could get out of the blind and go home, without spooking her. Then I heard something else moving behind me. I stayed frozen. Then heard it moving around me, following the same path that the doe used to get around me. When it came into my view, I was shocked. It was a buck, huge buck. About 24" spread 12 point. He was chasing that doe in early November. Both the buck and doe were only about 30 ft. from me, while I was standing there in the middle of my ground blind, so I was very clearly exposed. But neither deer was spooked. Eventually they both walked off in some thick cedar. As the buck turned away from me, I tried to get my binoculars off and then get the rifle off of my back. I had just put my rifle on my back, then the binoculars around my neck. By the time I got the rifle off to get a shot, the buck had walked off into some thick brush. I never saw him again. I never saw that buck before or afterwards. I did not seem to spook either deer. Had I not decided I was not going to see anything, with it being so hot and early in November. I would have had a very easy shot on that buck. I made the mistake of giving up early, but the ghillie suit worked great.

Comment

I took the suit out this evening to see how well it blends in to one of the areas I'll be hunting. I think it's a pretty good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That looks good!! As you mentioned, pack it in to your set and put it on once you arrive. I bought one this year but back issues kept me from using it. Hoping to use it this coming season. Best of luck and keep us posted..

Comment

Working...
                              X