No announcement yet.

Calibers that have come and gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can not think of a round that was popular, that has faded. The main caliber that I can think of that was extremely popular and has seemed to lost a lot of popularity, but still common, is the 30-06. The 308 has increased in popularity, largely taken over a lot of the 30-06 market and then created a new market. Then there are so many more new calibers, that are good rounds and many younger generation shooters, that take to the newer designed rounds, because those are what are talked about on the internet. It has been a while since I have heard someone say they killed something with a 30-06. When I was a kid, even up to 20 years ago, most everybody had a 30-06 in the closet. But there are still many millions of them out there and they still kill a lot of game each year, just don't hear about them as often anymore.

There are a lot of calibers that have mostly been forgotten, such as 6mm Rem/244, 284 Winchester, 264 Win. Mag., 7 mm Rem Express/280 Remington, 307 Winchester, 356 Winchester, 32 H&R Mag., 41 Mag, 454 Casull, 45 Win. Mag, 44 Auto Mag., 357 Max., 444 Marlin, 308 Norma Mag., 358 Norma Mag., 375 Win., 7 mm Remington Ultra Mag, 8 mm Rem. Mag, 222 Rem Mag., 350 Rem. Mag., 6.5 mm Rem. Mag., 358 Win.

Some of the older calibers that have faded, that used to have more popularity and likely were very popular way before my time, but not having been around years before it's hard to say how popular they were, 257 Roberts, 32 Winchester Special, 220 Swift, 44 Special, 30 Rem., 35 Rem., 250 Savage or 250-3000, 300 Savage.

Then the old military calibers that used to have a some popularity for years, but have faded are, the 7X57 Mauser, 8X57 Mauser, 6.5X55 Swede, then the 303 British. The 30-06, has always been the most popular military originated hunting round. The 30-40 Krag, never had a lot of popularity anywhere.

The only calibers, that I would say were quite popular when I was younger and before my time, that have faded in popularity, to the point of you don't hear about them much at all anymore, are the 222 Rem., 338 Win. Mag., 38 Special, 45 Long Colt. I know there are still a lot of them out there, but those are the calibers, that were popular, that you don't hear much about anymore, then the 30-06, is close to being there.

The calibers I listed first, are calibers, that the gun and ammo companies made and tried to promote, that did not take off, very well, they may have had and most of those calibers to still have some popularity, but were never big, popular calibers. They were just a new thing, that was hyped and faded. Many of those calibers have been adopted as favorites for niche shooters. Such as the 357 Max, 7X30 Waters, 30 Rem. 45-70, 41 Mag, 454 Casull. But then others like the 6.5 Rem. Mag, and the 350 Rem. Mag., just never took off. The calibers I listed were most all designed and first sold sometime after the 1940s.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaycee11 View Post
      I love my 257 Roberts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by jakegraves View Post
        at least spell crudmoor correct...

fify

Comment

Three off the top of my head that used to be very popular but have really waned in current years are the 222 Rem, 257 Roberts, and 300 H&H.

Comment

I will add some that I still reload for,.

6mm Remington.
            .303 British
            8mm Mauser
            11mm Werdnel

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
              Ones that I have personally seen:

the WSM family

260 Rem
              I was unaware that the WSM family (in particular the 270 and 300) are going the way of the Dodo bird, I thought they were doing good.

And, the 260 while maybe being supplanted by Creedmoor, I don't think is dead or even on life support.
              Last edited by MitchParker; 01-26-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

All the WSSM. Short mags for the most part I don't see many.

Comment

Wssm family
                  7x57
                  30-06, gets very little acknowledgment compared to what it used to.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    What calibers have you seen that became super popular for several years and then ended up falling out of style and becoming hard to find?

I’m curious because you hear all this talk about the 6.5cm being a fad and will eventually go away. Has there ever been a caliber as popular as the 6.5cm that eventually disappeared or became harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    6.5 will go away most places. The deer are small enough in Texas where the round will probably stay pretty popular. Where the animals get bigger, it will fade in popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Three off the top of my head that used to be very popular but have really waned in current years are the 222 Rem, 257 Roberts, and 300 H&H.
                      A man can kill anything with these cartridges. Well maybe add the 375 H&H for the big bears and Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                        I was unaware that the WSM family (in particular the 270 and 300) are going the way of the Dodo bird, I thought they were doing good.

And, the 260 while maybe being supplanted by Creedmoor, I don't think is dead or even on life support.
                        I never said they were dead or dying, just responding to the OP on what cartridges were hot and then not. However, the WSSM siblings are in danger.

Comment

Comment

25 wssm. had 3-4 buddies buy them about 8 years ago and now no one has ammo

Comment

All the WSSMs
                              All the SAUMs
                              All the RCMs
                              7 WSM

LWD

Comment

38-40
                                44-40
                                32-20

30 Auto Remington
                                30 Carbine

32 auto
                                25 auto
                                45 GAP
                                44 SW
                                38 SW
                                Even the 22 hornet has tapered off alot.

Comment

Working...
                                X