No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well. We got high drama stirring with Storm and LSP on blood trails, but I wanted to share my success with my W brethren. If you've followed the thread you've seen me post especially on those long all day sits, and I think it became evident, I even believe I out right said that I was waiting for a mature buck to cross my path. I put in a lot of time at W this year and saw a ton of deer just never had an opportunity to connect on a mature dominant buck. However, I was fortunate enough to draw a permit for Benbrook for 1/1 thru 1/15. I'm not gonna get too long winded, so I'll just cut to the chase. Thursday night about an hour before dark i had deer start filtering in. First a spike then a group of does. At 5:30 a bachelor group of young bucks comes in and start making a scene. They are in front of me eating and working out the pecking order when I hear heavy footsteps behind and too my left. I slowly look, and see this heavy, tall, wide rack (what I see ok, not necessarily a great actual description) coming in, now just 10 yards from the base of my tree. I wait for him to clear a tree and draw. I ace the pin and execute the chip shot. (There are excluded details, but it's a long story).

And Here's the LDP. Thanks for reading.

He is really heavy but not as wide or tall as I thought. I haven't gotten his jaw out, but I'm thinking 4.5.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
      Not a Lot of blood found in fact just 2 drops in about 80 yards . I may have been just a little higher than I wanted. My son's bring the dog and We'll find it I hope.
      Good luck, I hope you find it.

Comment

Congrats on the harvest Runner! Looks like Storm gets good karma for offering to help me. Good luck on the recovery sir.

Comment

Congrats on the buck! You’ve held out for sure.
          Storm and ispdnxs hope y’all find your deer.

Comment

Just had a couple of morons come through my set with a dog. Said they were shed hunting. It is amazing how inconsiderate some people are.

Comment

Congrats txnrunner!
              Storm and ispdnxs, any luck finding the deer?

Comment

No luck here, I’m about to call it. Only blood I found that was for sure the deer was at 49 yards where the nock flew out of the arrow. Sitting in my tree now contemplating what I could have missed. I’ve made circles out to 250 yards and had about enough of black locust tree cutting me up. To try and take a positive outlook I have found some good new spots during the search. Hopefully it was not a fatal wound and I find his antlers come shed season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                  No luck here, I’m about to call it. Only blood I found that was for sure the deer was at 49 yards where the nock flew out of the arrow. Sitting in my tree now contemplating what I could have missed. I’ve made circles out to 250 yards and had about enough of black locust tree cutting me up. To try and take a positive outlook I have found some good new spots during the search. Hopefully it was not a fatal wound and I find his antlers come shed season.
                  Sorry to hear that. I could have helped if I had seen this earlier. If you want to pm the area I can keep an eye out. I find quite a few deer each year while looking for sheds. Hopefully he's still alive and you get another shot at him next year

Comment

Congrats on the buck

Comment

ctrey and storm check your pm box.

Comment

Last edited by Ispdnxs; 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

No luck on finding the deer, but we did find parts of 3 deer and a snubbing buck. It looked like they were dumped last night game warden was notified. TxnRunner you came up with a nice one to end the year. lspdnxs i have no problem in helping someone out if they need it theres a bunch of guys on here that would do the same. Hope tomorrow s hunt goes better for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                            ctrey and storm check your pm box.
                            Reply sent

Comment

Yes I was out there this morning to en the season, I had 3 doe coming in from the south an wind was from the south. All they needed to do was go 10 more yards to clear some trees but they crossed my trail so they bugged on out. All in all its been a great season and wish it wouldn't end. For those of you hunting the extended season I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Hate to hear that Storm but at least you're seeing deer. Sounds like you have some good spots to go back to next season. I'll be out on private land this evening trying to fill my last tag. There hasn't been any bucks over 4.5 on camera for a while now but you never know this time of year. There's a group of does that hasn't had fawns for 2 years so I'm trying to get one of them if nothing else shows. Good luck to everyone hunting today

Comment

Working...
                                X