No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey jet painter, sorry I'm not to sure exactly where I was. I got off my truck right when you enter past the cattle guard and crossed the river bed and just walked straight across the open fields until I got to that area of the river that has a high bank(I walked for about 45min), there are alot of mesquite trees there. Then I walked along the road that leads to area III, about the time where you can see the main TBR dam I then made a right and saw the fence. Like I said its just a small section of wire, thats why I kind of think it isn't private property. If it makes any sence I was kind of by where the dry creek crosses the road towards the end of area IV. Haha but I'm always afraid of walking through someones set up and getting a picture taken of me too. And the fenced off area you're talking about, is it that small hog trap looking thing?

Comment

Its about a 20 acre field next to same size chunk of fenced in brush and trees. Think - between that boys ranch road and whites dam. Looks private but its not marked private. I would say that's fair game.

Comment

Does anyone know anything about those sheep? Anyone friends with the game warden and can ask him?

Comment

the cattle guard at the end of 2166? oh and i finally found a better map of the area. im good now.

Comment

No I meant the cattle guard when you turn off of highway 67, thats where I enter. And I would guess those sheep belong to whoever leases the land for cattle.

Comment

Hey JDVerfurth is that you in the white tundra that hunts off if 67 in unit 4. Just wandering because I have had my camera swiped out there too. Saturday morning I saw a big eight run thru my setup with his nose to the ground and I couldn't get him to stop. So I think he is still out there. I hate a thief and they will get what's coming to them somehow. I drive a gold dodge ram.

Comment

Yeah that's me... Have any luck out there this year? There is 2 different 8's in the area... Ones at young 8 the other is a huge old wide buck. Had the young 8 at 75 yards tonite no luck getting him any closer... Had really good luck all last week, gonna close the deal on something soon.

Comment

Anyone going to be hunting the back of 3 and 4 this weekend? Thinking about going saterday. Anyone seeing anything at all in the area?

Comment

This was my first season with a bow and my son's 2nd season. My son attends ASU and I have been making several weekend trips up there and we hunted San Angelo State park but its now closed to bowhunting. He was able to get his first bowkill of a small doe but I am still looking for my first. I'm back in San Antonio for a while but he would like to maybe try some areas at Twin Buttes. We've heard good and bad about the area and as a dad want him to be safe. Anyone have suggestions on which of the 7 areas is better and safer? Certainly aren't looking for someone to give up their secret spot but neither of us are familiar with the areas and since I won't be there just a bit concerned. If anyone has advice or even willing to show him around I would be much appreciative of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                      This was my first season with a bow and my son's 2nd season. My son attends ASU and I have been making several weekend trips up there and we hunted San Angelo State park but its now closed to bowhunting. He was able to get his first bowkill of a small doe but I am still looking for my first. I'm back in San Antonio for a while but he would like to maybe try some areas at Twin Buttes. We've heard good and bad about the area and as a dad want him to be safe. Anyone have suggestions on which of the 7 areas is better and safer? Certainly aren't looking for someone to give up their secret spot but neither of us are familiar with the areas and since I won't be there just a bit concerned. If anyone has advice or even willing to show him around I would be much appreciative of it.
                      just be very careful out there bow hunters and gun hunters mixed it can get scarey out there lots deer out there good luck get a hold of sanagelobowman

Comment

00 buckshot rolled him at 40 yds

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354381039.250616.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	24145726

Comment

JD- question for you.

In Area V, can you hunt over the Middle Concho? Meaning, can you set up over the water pockets?

Any luck so far?

Comment

Stay to the East to be safe

Originally posted by Okie in Texas View Post
                            JD- question for you.

In Area V, can you hunt over the Middle Concho? Meaning, can you set up over the water pockets?

Any luck so far?
                            You know I'm not 100% positive on the this, however I would assume based on the actual zone map, if you stay on the east side of the Concho in area V that you would fall into the designated area. I think hunting over a water hole is a great idea, if u get on google earth and look at area V, there is a nice pond on the northern most fence line, I've hunted it a few time this season with a lot of good movement and I think with the right bait and set up you could definitely close the deal on a mesquite bean feed giant. I'm pretty sure the GW would give you hell if he found you hunting on the West Bank, but the East Bank he wouldn't have much to stand on based on the map.... My luck... Well last Friday I nailed a nice buck a hair high and a hair back but definitely a lung... Me and TXArrow were hunting the same area so I backed out and waited for a solid hour and a half. Then we both tracked this buck(mainly TXarrow, this guy is amazing at finding any blood trail) for a solid three hours with no luck, so I don't know think it was a great enough shoot to kill him so that's all the luck I'm having at this point... Didn't mean to write a short novel here...

Comment

I thought that..but I bet as soon as I hit one, it would head up that west bank.

Stinks to hear about your buck. Which way did you track him?

I have had a nice 8 in the yard every night about 8-9. He travels w/7-8 does parallel to the RR tracks on the south side, stops and eats acorns, rye out of my yard and the heads north back up towards the cover by area IV.

Comment

This is the northern most boundary of area V, right? Where the pin is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355011295.615751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24147336

Comment

Working...
                                X