etoufee. any good recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's dinner!

Ragin' Blaze baked tilapia. Smothered in crawfish étouffée. Delicious!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397180208.579274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24297982

Comment

that looks real good brother

Comment

Man, that looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          here is a copy/paste with a few modifications from John Folse's recipe

Louisiana Style Crawfish Etouffee
          PREP TIME: 1 Hour
          SERVES: 6

COMMENT:
          The French word "etouffee" means to stew, smother or braise. This technique is found in dishes using shrimp, crab, crawfish and, in some cases, meat or game. Though more Creole in origin, etouffees are found throughout Cajun country.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds cleaned crawfish tails (or shrimp)
          1/4 pound butter
          3/4 cup onion, chopped
          1/4 cup celery, chopped
          1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
          2 tbsps garlic, minced
          2 bay leaves
          1/2 cup tomato sauce
          1 cup flour
          2 quarts crawfish stock or water
          1 ounce sherry
          1 cup green onions, chopped
          1/4 cup parsley, chopped
          salt and cayenne pepper to taste add Ragin Blaze
          2 cups white rice, steamed

METHOD:
          In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and blend well into mixture. Using a wire whip, blend flour into the vegetable mixture to form a white roux. Slowly add crawfish stock or water, a little at a time, until sauce consistency is achieved. Continue adding more stock as necessary to retain consistency. Bring to a bubbling boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes .. stirring occasionally. Add crawfish / shrimp , sherry, green onions and parsley and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Serve over steamed white rice.

Should look like this ... (serve with baked sweet potatoes and corn bread )

Just tried this tonight, 6 guests said it was awesome, I loved it but I love just about any etoufee, it was very restaurant gourmet quality food. Thanks Blake.

Comment

Crawfish Etouffee

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            here is a copy/paste with a few modifications from John Folse's recipe

Louisiana Style Crawfish Etouffee
            PREP TIME: 1 Hour
            SERVES: 6

COMMENT:
            The French word "etouffee" means to stew, smother or braise. This technique is found in dishes using shrimp, crab, crawfish and, in some cases, meat or game. Though more Creole in origin, etouffees are found throughout Cajun country.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds cleaned crawfish tails (or shrimp)
            1/4 pound butter
            3/4 cup onion, chopped
            1/4 cup celery, chopped
            1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
            2 tbsps garlic, minced
            2 bay leaves
            1/2 cup tomato sauce
            1 cup flour
            2 quarts crawfish stock or water
            1 ounce sherry
            1 cup green onions, chopped
            1/4 cup parsley, chopped
            salt and cayenne pepper to taste add Ragin Blaze
            2 cups white rice, steamed

METHOD:
            In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and blend well into mixture. Using a wire whip, blend flour into the vegetable mixture to form a white roux. Slowly add crawfish stock or water, a little at a time, until sauce consistency is achieved. Continue adding more stock as necessary to retain consistency. Bring to a bubbling boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes .. stirring occasionally. Add crawfish / shrimp , sherry, green onions and parsley and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Serve over steamed white rice.

Should look like this ... (serve with baked sweet potatoes and corn bread )

Just made this and it was a hit with the family! Awesome stuff

Comment

I'm trying Blake's recipe for Administrative Day today, I'm cooking for 7 ladies in my office. I've got boxed Swanson's seafood stock and shrimp powder for the stock. I've never made stock with powdered shrimp... any advice on ratio?

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I made this at my office today for the ladies... it was a big hit! I made 1 and 1/2 batch and it was plenty for 7 of us with Cesar salad and garlic bread. I used 2 quarts of box stock and a cup made with shrimp dust. It was actually a little thinner than I would have liked but over rice it worked out well. I'm glad I didn't go all in with three quarts. I used 1 pound of crawfish tails and two pounds of shrimp.

Has anyone tried making this up to putting the veggies and seafood in at the end and freezing it like a base? I'm thinking if it freezes and reheats well I could pull out what I need, bring it up to heat and throw in the green onion, parsley, and seafood and call it done in no time.

Comment

Bump for the cold weather. Making some tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X