6.2L Chevy OR 5.7 Tundra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
    Everyone I know that has a tundra complains about the fuel mileage, it's pretty well-known. Are you getting 16 on the overhead console or are you doing the math? Big difference.

If you truly are getting 16mpg + you are doing well [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I get 16.1 on paper and 16.4 on the dash. Lots of trips to Corpus at 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I get 16.1 on paper and 16.4 on the dash. Lots of trips to Corpus at 85mph.
      On the highway I could see getting 16. The actual statistics straight from Toyota claim 13 City and 17 highway... on average I would imagine it's around 15 so maybe I was a little low.
      Still horrible considering my 9,000 lb Dodge/Cummins gets 18 to 20

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        That wouldn't take me but a second to decide. The Chevy 6.2 is a beast of an engine and it blows sway the Tundra in both power and fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Tundra has a ton of power for the engine size being naturally aspirated.

You can buy a heck of a lot of fuel for the price of a new transmission, AC controller, front end parts, and the 4 wheel drive shift actuator.

Plus the aggravation of something always breaking
        Last edited by cbd10pt; 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
          Tundra has a ton of power for the engine size being naturally aspirated.

You can buy a heck of a lot of fuel for the price of a new transmission, AC controller, front end parts, and the 4 wheel drive shift actuator.

Plus the aggravation of something always breaking

Amen. I was a Chevy fan for a long time. They have some great features (locking differential, comfortable, nice ride,) but I can't get past the aggravating problems that they REFUSE to fix. Crappy transmissions, A/C actuators, and the dang 4WD actuators that decide to quit when you need them most!!! I LOVE my Tundra since making the switch!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            TOTALLY different engine and transmission platform.

I hope so. That 6.0 was very transmission dependant. Constantly down shifting with a trailer. Loved the truck though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I truly get 16 with 15' crew max 4x4...best truck I've owns hands down (and I've owned 2 Cummings) 120,000 miles and only replaced battery, still on stock brake pads. Now, if we are towing, that's single digits, but the power is there (Towed construction trailer, 250 gallon tote in bed, etc). Toyota hands down is much more dependable imo.

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
              Everyone I know that has a tundra complains about the fuel mileage, it's pretty well-known. Are you getting 16 on the overhead console or are you doing the math? Big difference.

If you truly are getting 16mpg + you are doing well [emoji106]

Comment

One thing the OP needs to consider is that the 6.2 is going to be offered with the new 10 Speed auto co-developed with Ford very soon...this is personally what I would wait for if I opted for the bowtie. I know the Raptor (and very recent other 150's owners) are loving it.

I have a totally different (gigitty) 6.2 (LT4) / A10 combo in the Camaro & has been a home run so far...I know some guys are reporting over 20mpg avg, but imo are driving it wrong. I can promise if I got the chevy with the 6.2 that my mileage would be worse than that the yota while it's pulling a yacht. Kinda silly to have that sorta HP & not giddy-up now & then?? The A10 version is just gonna make it stronger. Quite an amazing tranny in the ZL1.

Comment

Im curious about all these gears, 8 and soon 10. Wont they be surfing gears especially pulling trailors??

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Im curious about all these gears, 8 and soon 10. Wont they be surfing gears especially pulling trailors??

Nope. These transmissions know what they are supposed to do. Even if you do get a little hunting just use the manual shift mode to hold it where you want it.

Comment

I am going to be in the Yota category on this one, but it's your decision and you need to look at what is going to fit you the best. My decision is based off of having 3 prior Chevy 1/2 tons (91 and 97 with 350 and 05 with 5.3). After the 05, I was in a situation where I would be needing a 3/4 ton because of needing heavier suspension and towing capabilities. I ended up with a Ram 2500 with 5.7. 5 years later, growing a family and not having the extracurricular activities I did have, I need to downsize to something that is more family friendly and rides a lot better. After being around a fleet of 2012 and newer chevys for work, I have seen more recalls and puddly crap going wrong just Like my dodge, that I don't want any part of that. Plus I don't think the 2013+ chevys are very comfortable to drive. My wife had a 07 4Runner @ 140k Miles and I just changed the brakes for the first time and an alternator and idler pulley. I have denied it for years, calling them city boy trucks, but I know Toyota makes great vehicles. So my next truck will be a Tundra and I will deal with that decision for a while whether it's good or bad. I don't need a 3/4 ton any more. I have a 12' trailer to pull my ranger and with a bed cover I can put all the kiddo/baby materials in the bed and have a good size cab for everyone. Good luck with the decision, I used to be a Chevy gas and dodge diesel guy, now diesels ain't what they used to be and Chevy is too much into meeting regulations and technology than into making a good truck Bob Seiger could sell with a song.

Oh and I don't give a hoot about mpgs anymore, anything better than 12 on the highway is a plus in my book.

Comment

I've owned only Chevrolets since 2001 with exception of 1 super duty, but still had a suburban.
                        I've always loved my chevy trucks especially my 2500s. My current chevy is doing all the stuff I thought other trucks did.
                        Passenger door handle broke off, dash has multiple cracks, interior seems to wear faster than Chevys of the past, lots of road noise, broken center console latch, bad motor mount etc etc etc. not great for a truck with less than 130k miles and some is to be expected from a truck that's used as a truck daily, but my next truck will be a Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For a little background.

I have a 14' gmc with the 5.3. I am not unhappy but would prefer a truck to pull and drive like a truck vs an SUV daily stroller. I am familiar with the ride, handling and cab comforts and like them pretty well. Could use more lumbar support...

We have had a Sequoia with the 5.7 (a 4Runner and Camry before that, so I do believe in Toyota dependability and quality) and my dad has had 2 tundras that I have driven plenty so I am well aware of the pep and power of the 5.7. I need the full crew cab with 2 little ones and #3 arriving in December...frustrating thing is the tiny bed in the tundra with the full cab (double cab is too small already checked, that's what my dad has).

What I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge is with the 6.2L hence me turning to the green screen and thank you to all of you for all the insight it has been very helpful and is much appreciated. I don't know yet which direction to go and will go drive a 6.2L very soon hopefully but would love to continue to hear the discussion. Carry on. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
                            For a little background.

I have a 14' gmc with the 5.3. I am not unhappy but would prefer a truck to pull and drive like a truck vs an SUV daily stroller. I am familiar with the ride, handling and cab comforts and like them pretty well. Could use more lumbar support...

We have had a Sequoia with the 5.7 (a 4Runner and Camry before that, so I do believe in Toyota dependability and quality) and my dad has had 2 tundras that I have driven plenty so I am well aware of the pep and power of the 5.7. I need the full crew cab with 2 little ones and #3 arriving in December...frustrating thing is the tiny bed in the tundra with the full cab (double cab is too small already checked, that's what my dad has).

What I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge is with the 6.2L hence me turning to the green screen and thank you to all of you for all the insight it has been very helpful and is much appreciated. I don't know yet which direction to go and will go drive a 6.2L very soon hopefully but would love to continue to hear the discussion. Carry on. Thanks!
                            I told my wife she needed a sequoia the other day. Her 4 runner is nice to have for an SUV but it's just too small. That's why I have decided that when I get a Tundra, it will have a bed cover for groceries and luggage and what not for road trips. I have been told that I can use my company vehicle for whatever I want, use it Like it is mine. So my plan is to get rid of my truck after hunting season when I won't need a 4x4 as much, payoff some debts with the extra cash and money saved from al that and then get back into a truck after a little while. Maybe trade her car in on it and she can drive the new truck and be in something safer than her 4Runner. Just hate to get rid of a paid off good vehicle with no issues.

Comment

I have a 17 6.2 ltz z71 crew cab with the standard size 6.5 ft bed. I had to order it because apparently that combo is rare. 14k miles on it and I love it. I was getting around 22 mpg on the hwy and 18 around town before I leveled it and added bigger tires. Now its around 19 hwy 15 city. Not sure how much weight is on the trailer when I tow it loaded down I'm getting around 11-13 mpg. I'll be honest with you the 8 speed trans has had issues like hunting for gears in traffic and hard downshift but the latest software update has seemed to clear those up. If you get a 6.2 in z71 trim you can only get a 3.23 rear. If you get a 6.2 max trailering package you can get it with 3.42s. I tried to combine the 2 when I ordered and Chevy wouldn't allow it for some reason. You also have to run premium 93 or 91 octane in the 6.2. I run 93 in town at the lease the highest octane in the area is 91. I loose about 2 mpg when I run the 91.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

My 15 Z71 5.3 was a regular bed (6.5') this truck 17 4x4 6.2 has a short bed (6'). The turning radius difference is huge! Much easier to drive in and around town.

Comment

Working...
                                X