Drawn for the chap!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
    Do they have a camp area that you can stay on site?
    And if so, what's the earliest you can arrive to set up camp?
    About how many pastures are there?
    Think rattling would work during this time frame, Dec 3-6?
    you can arrive at camp around noon the day before your hunt.

there will probably lots of info when you send in your payment and get your permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      you can arrive at camp around noon the day before your hunt.

there will probably lots of info when you send in your payment and get your permit.
      Not sure what I was expecting, but figured there would be more. When I paid this morning I received my permit and the generic brochure that can be found online.
      Attached Files

Comment

They will go over a lot of do's & don't during orientation.

Comment

I harvested this buck last year. I recommend to bring a couple of pop ups and a few cameras. We were allowed to use corn last year if you are allowed to use corn I would bring quite a bit and feed in multiple spots. I also used google earth once I knew which compartment I was in. Also try and spend as much time In Your stand as possible. If you have any other questions I will be more then happy to help you. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a nice buck dude! Congrats!
            My plan is to hunt all day every day. Lol
            Last edited by Yakinthebox; 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

That's a nice buck! Congrats!

Thanks for the info...
              My plan is to stay out there every minute of allowable time!

Do you know if scents are allowed there or any baits besides corn? Also, any idea when approximately the rut is in that region? Would I be wasting space by bringing rattling antlers?

Comment

Rut should be the first and second week of December. Scents are allowed. I'd for sure take rattling antlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                  Rut should be the first and second week of December. Scents are allowed. I'd for sure take rattling antlers.
                  Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                    That's a nice buck! Congrats!

Thanks for the info...
                    My plan is to stay out there every minute of allowable time!

Do you know if scents are allowed there or any baits besides corn? Also, any idea when approximately the rut is in that region? Would I be wasting space by bringing rattling antlers?
                    The rut is when the Youth GDE hunts are scheduled. A quick check of the youth dates shows Dec. 27-30.

Yep, that's about right for that part of the brush country. Late December/early January.

That being said, if you get some cold weather during your hunt, the bucks will likely be moving.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a hotel in Cotulla? Anybody on here ever do that or do y'all all just camp?

Comment

I stayed in Cotulla at a hotel. I got my reservation early. The drive is not bad, and you will sleep well. The hotel will have wifi to use google maps to scout once you are assigned.

Comment

Do a search on Chaparral here and you’ll get a good idea of what to expect from previous live hunts. Was drawn last year for first time. Success rate is low but it one of the few public hunts u have the possibility of shooting a really nice deer. Lots of guys hold out for a true trophy. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                            Do a search on Chaparral here and you’ll get a good idea of what to expect from previous live hunts. Was drawn last year for first time. Success rate is low but it one of the few public hunts u have the possibility of shooting a really nice deer. Lots of guys hold out for a true trophy. Good luck.

Did you harvest anything last year?

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a hotel in Cotulla? Anybody on here ever do that or do y'all all just camp?
                              If you have the means and with a group I would stay on site, for us thats a big part of the trip is the cooking and hanging around camp talking with other groups and having a drink or two. Especially if you have a camper. At the tent camp area they have showers and restrooms so if the weather is nice a tent camp is good to go also.

Comment

I have done both... prefer camping with friends. As I get older, a bed sounds nice.

When I have gotten a room in Cotulla it has been with
                                Whitten Inn Cotulla and RV Park
                                3-star hotel
                                145 FM468, Cotulla, TX 78014•(830) 879-3100

you can enter your room thru the hotel or thru the parking lot. nice.

they have 4:40 breakfast buffet and beer bash afterwards

if you are there to work it is cheaper than if you are there to hunt.

good luck. I may try to go down on standby.

Comment

Working...
                                X