No announcement yet.

Deer feeder pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circular hog panels wired where one square overlaps the other.
    I like 8-10 panels, two posts per panel. I had some crazy cows in my pens so I ran one strand of barbed wire along the top of the panels. Maybe 1-2 inches above and wired to it 2-3 spots per panel. 8 years later no more cows and no pigs.

Not cheap? But keeping pigs away from the feeder saves the feeders. I have seen deer continue to eat under the feeder while a pig walked all the way around. Turkeys don't seem to want to fly/jump into the smaller pens. They just circle itcontinuosly.

Comment

cattle panels cut in half (lengthwise) for me. Works well. Currently using 8 panels in a square, but things are too tight for my liking (and I want to add a water trough). Will expand soon - at least 50% more area.

Comment

I've always used 3 or 4 strands of barbed wire to keep the cows off the feeders ,but this weekend I found that the hogs had destroyed one of may feeders. I was planning on using hog panels and a few strands of barb wire That sounds like what a lot of you folks are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Gayland Emerson View Post
          I've always used 3 or 4 strands of barbed wire to keep the cows off the feeders ,but this weekend I found that the hogs had destroyed one of may feeders. I was planning on using hog panels and a few strands of barb wire That sounds like what a lot of you folks are using.
          A cattle panel cut in half with two strands of barb wire above should keep the cows and hogs out of yours. I used 5 panels cut to make 10 in a circle, this is enough room for my winch up feeder and boss buck protein feeder plus 4-6 deer to move around.

Comment

Just remember bigger is better. Most of mine are square at least 80- 100 feet per side.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
              Cut cattle panels in half and ran a strand of barb wire about a foot above the top to keep goats out

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This and put a fence stay in the middle.

Comment

12 hog panels has always worked for me. I set them up in a circle.

Comment

12 panels will make a 60' diameter pen, with a little overlap to tie panels together.

Drive a t-post where you want the center of the pen to be, and tie a 30' rope to it. You have effectively created a giant compass. Drive a post every 8', and tie your panels to the posts and each other.

I like to use chain link messenger wire (the galvanized wire that runs along the bottom of a chain link fence) as my tie wire, and a twister tool. Makes for a very strong connection. To tie the panels to the posts, I use barbed wire clips.

I am lazy, and like a good gate, so I buy a 6' wide chain link gate kit, and set a couple of fence posts for a beginning and end of my pen. It is a large enough opening for a UTV to drive in and out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
                    Cut cattle panels in half and ran a strand of barb wire about a foot above the top to keep goats out

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                    Would this style/height be high enough to keep cows out? It would only be around 37" +/- Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Bearbarrow View Post
                      Would this style/height be high enough to keep cows out? It would only be around 37" +/- Overall
                      no

Comment

12 cattle panels with a few spots cut down for deer to jump easier.

Comment

Just out of curiosity why does everyone use panels instead of just doing an electrical fence? It's looks electric fence would be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman7 View Post
                            Just out of curiosity why does everyone use panels instead of just doing an electrical fence? It's looks electric fence would be cheaper.
                            Electricity is used to keep critters out/away!!!!! Panels are used to control what critters go in!
                            Last edited by Antlers86; 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

We just built 2 feed pens. 20 hog panels each in an oval layout. That leaves room for a directional corn feeder on each end and a couple protein feeders in the middle. The blind will be placed near the middle on the outside of the pen, giving a +/- 20 yard shot or less to any deer feeding in the pen at any feeder. They look sweet!

Comment

Do any of you cut down some of the hog panels so the fawns don't have trouble jumping them or are they able to get into the pens without problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X