X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    That don't make it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Please explain why it best not to run a jack plate on a tunnel hull boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Please explain why it best not to run a jack plate on a tunnel hull boat?

Obviously the tunnel is designed to put maximum amount of water to your lower unit. Tunnels are also designed with a high transom so that you can run your motor high therefore allowing you to run in very shallow water with maximum water flow from the tunnel. Jack plate is designed to offer the same, or close to, shallow running abilities on a regular, no tunnel boat with a standard transom by putting the motor far enough behind the boat to catch the "hump" of water that rises behind the flat bottom boat allowing for the motor to be run much higher than just sitting on the transom, thus giving you much shallower running capabilities. On a tunnel, you're already running your engine high enough that your prop shaft is above the bottom of the boat. There is no need for a jack plate, it's already designed to run high and shallow, the whole point of having a tunnel.

Comment

Obviously the tunnel is designed to put maximum amount of water to your lower unit. Tunnels are also designed with a high transom so that you can run your motor high therefore allowing you to run in very shallow water with maximum water flow from the tunnel. Jack plate is designed to offer the same, or close to, shallow running abilities on a regular, no tunnel boat with a standard transom by putting the motor far enough behind the boat to catch the "hump" of water that rises behind the flat bottom boat allowing for the motor to be run much higher than just sitting on the transom, thus giving you much shallower running capabilities. On a tunnel, you're already running your engine high enough that your prop shaft is above the bottom of the boat. There is no need for a jack plate, it's already designed to run high and shallow, the whole point of having a tunnel.

So by this logic this boat would have the same performance without the jackplate as it does with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          So by this logic this boat would have the same performance without the jackplate as it does with it?

We were discussing 16' foot boats with a 50hp I believe. I don't remember what boat exactly it is but I assumed it was an aluminum john boat. That is not exactly apples to oranges comparison. I admit my assumption may be wrong. I am running a 16 foot flat bottom with a jack plate that has 12" of set back so that I can run shallow similar to a tunnel on a john boat like mine. On a big boat that you have pictured, yes, a power jack plate with not much set back will indeed be a plus. I digress, I don't know what I'm talking about, you win, have an awesome weekend.

Comment

[QUOTE=Duckologist;13430786]That don't make it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It's pretty obvious you don't have a clue what your talking about when it comes to tunnel hulls and jack plates.

Comment

[quote=bloodtrailer28;13431381]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

It's pretty obvious you don't have a clue what your talking about when it comes to tunnel hulls and jack plates.
              Words out of my mouth exactly. You will never fully utilize the benefits of a tunnel without a jack plate. When maximizing the engine height you ultimately effect other areas of performance such as water pressure, turning, and deep water cavitation when rough to name a few.

Love the Boatright Mayhem.

Comment

[quote=Notaguide;13431840]
                Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Words out of my mouth exactly. You will never fully utilize the benefits of a tunnel without a jack plate. When maximizing the engine height you ultimately effect other areas of performance such as water pressure, turning, and deep water cavitation when rough to name a few.

Love the Boatright Mayhem.

Thanks, it belongs to my dad he just had it refurbished.

It was an illustration to prove a point and I believe it did the job.

Comment

What are you going to ask your parents to get you for your 15th birthday?
                  Post #41
                  Defeating the point of a tunnel with a jack plate but do what makes u happy

Comment

Only guys I know that don’t have them just can’t afford them . It’s not a knock on them and a hey look at me because it took me awhile to get the funds to buy one .. 99% of the boats you see down on the Texas coast have one especially the ones with tunnel hulls . Jack FORMAN said it’s a nessecity and he’s regarded as one of the best around .

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                      Only guys I know that don’t have them just can’t afford them . It’s not a knock on them and a hey look at me because it took me awhile to get the funds to buy one .. 99% of the boats you see down on the Texas coast have one especially the ones with tunnel hulls . Jack FORMAN said it’s a nessecity and he’s regarded as one of the best around .

Same here. I have a manual now ran all the way up on my tunnel. In order to reach full potential of a tunnel a Jackplate is a must! I can’t wait to get our next boat with hydraulics!

Comment

Working...
                      X