Term Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Kevin Brady has my area, the district is oddly shaped at best! He and Trump are tight lately. I was wondering if something went down because he used to be quite quiet. I will be in DC in two weeks and hope to meet with him. Brady had serious competition this last election from Repubs wanting him out.

His son and my daughter were in the same class several times in Elementary school. He lives in my neighborhood. Met him multiple times and have been in his office on business. He's pure establishment and wont do much for you if you cant do much for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
      I fail to see how term limits will change anything. It will just cycle through a new set of idiots more frequently. Reelection is the only real measure of control the voters have. If a newly elected politician knows they will be termed out regardless of their performance, they won't care much about their constituency.

Would you want the good one's termed out also? Chaffetz, Trey Gowdy, Grassley?
      perfect.....then those type of citizens wont seek the positon......as it was intended in 1780.
      The good ones will do just fine in other roles as listed below (because they are good in what they do) or more importantly go back to there home districts and build your community. Not MY tax dollar responsibility to give them pensions, healthcare, etc for a lifetime because you ran for an office.
      Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
      They are awesome and will excel else where too. DA's, DOJ's, etc.

You get voted in on a platform and dont perform on it, you will lose the next election, deliver on what you promise and get out after a few terms (wiser men than me can speak on how many terms). This will draw people who want to help, and kick them out before they get fat and happy. Its when they stay in for 50 years they loose sight and think, "how am i going to retire" that pork flows. The system is really broken and needs bigger checks on their power.
      Enough said!
      Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
      An age limit might be a better solution.
      A significant number in Congress are in their late 70's and 80's. Way past their sell-by date in my opinion. 65 years should be a reasonable age limit.
      I don't care what age they start or leave, but when your TERM is done bye bye........as it was in the beginning they need to understand they are "serving" their constituents & the nation. Age and wisdom are not a bad trait, but stagnation is a disease! Building a career off our tax dollars is insanity at best. SERVICE is important to the fabric of our republic......serve and move on!

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        His son and my daughter were in the same class several times in Elementary school. He lives in my neighborhood. Met him multiple times and have been in his office on business. He's pure establishment and wont do much for you if you cant do much for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Humm I love it, you are EXTREMELY perceptive sir!!!

Comment

Term limits are an ideal situation. Neck is correct. We keep voting the same way and expect them to willingly vote themselves out. When they don't, we vote for them anyway. Looks like we're getting what most of us ask for.

I have John Carter as my Congressman. For 95% of the time, he's been okay. Then, he votes for every line of Obama's 4 trillion dollar budget. He lost my vote but he won re-election in a landslide. How does that happen, you ask?? My fellow voters are worthless citizens. He had quality competition but people are SO FREAKIN' LAZY they won't spend 20 minutes on their phone to research a candidate. They read a familiar name and they push that button. That crap needs to stop and term limits will fix half of it. They other half can't be helped.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
            wont do much for you if you cant do much for him.
            Sounds like just about every politician...

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              Didn't want t hijack another thread and thought this topic deserves its own thread. I think term limits are something that most Americans could see as being a good thing. But I don't see our politicians voting themselves out of a job.

What are some ideas/options out there that could make this a reality? Is it just a pipe dream or is there really a chance it will ever happen?
              Well, the first step would be to never vote for someone that is currently in office now. Put all new people in that run on the platform of establishing term limits..

Since the '50s these politicians have had it made, they started voting their own vacations and pay raises in and then gave the power of deploying troops away and it took all liability out of their hands. Now they just get richer and richer and they don't take the blame for anything.

If I ever run, my platform will run on term limits, the removal of any kind of war powers act, a deduction of pay (probably down to 90K a year), make the pay an hourly wage where the representative must clock in (overtime is not extra pay, not paying for someone to filibuster and discus BS all night), and last but not least, all elected officials (excluding the president) must use the VA healthcare system (but pay for it, not get it free like us vets get).

**I am starting to take donations now to fund my campaign

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                Well played right there!
                Like another poster noted WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT! When I noted that to a policy wonk type of guy in DC I know he said point blank. "Nobody thinks their CONGRESSman is the **** problem!"
                As long as they say good stuff and bring home some loose change to the district the American voter will never say their guy must go after a few terms. Just a SAD DEAL honestly!
                I don't know...my congressman is Sheila Jackson Lee and I know that she is a problem

and yes I put congressman on purpose

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                  What we need to do is go back to the Senate being selected by the state legislators.
                  I agree.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                    I don't know...my congressman is Sheila Jackson Lee and I know that she is a problem

and yes I put congressman on purpose
                    Heavy is the head that wears the crown!

Comment

Well, the first step would be to never vote for someone that is currently in office now. Put all new people in that run on the platform of establishing term limits..

Since the '50s these politicians have had it made, they started voting their own vacations and pay raises in and then gave the power of deploying troops away and it took all liability out of their hands. Now they just get richer and richer and they don't take the blame for anything.

If I ever run, my platform will run on term limits, the removal of any kind of war powers act, a deduction of pay (probably down to 90K a year), make the pay an hourly wage where the representative must clock in (overtime is not extra pay, not paying for someone to filibuster and discus BS all night), and last but not least, all elected officials (excluding the president) must use the VA healthcare system (but pay for it, not get it free like us vets get

**I am starting to take donations now to fund my campaign
                      Throw in random drug testing and tell me where to send the money!!!

Comment

Term limits and they should have to keep a real job. They shouldnt be making 200k a year for "public service". Kick it back to colonial days when they didnt get paid.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by qWuARk556 View Post
                          Term limits and they should have to keep a real job. They shouldnt be making 200k a year for "public service". Kick it back to colonial days when they didnt get paid.

They don't make 200k......they make 175k

Comment

Lmao... [emoji2]

Comment

Y'all are both wrong. They are paid a salary of 175k per year.

Add: Kickbacks from Lobbyists
                              Add: Slush fund and Discretionary spending accounts
                              Add: Leftover Campaign and PAC contributions
                              Add: Embezzled funds from Campaign and PAC funds
                              Add: Lifetime pension
                              Add: Free/Subsidized Healthcare
                              Add: Salary from job as a "consultant" that requires never actually performing anything for the companies that hire you after you get out of congress (you already did what they needed you to when you were still in Congress )

Comment

Working...
                              X