No announcement yet.

King Ranch, Nilgai and the Border Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remembered what Weston had told me at the beginning of the hunt and that was to shoot the shoulder dead center and take out his running gear.

So, the bull was hard quartering from me and I was watching that front shoulder through my scope. He was at enough angle that there was a roll of fat behind his front shoulder, I put the cross hairs on the center of that roll and squeezed the trigger. The rifle spoke and no return thump, I freaking missed. I felt so bad for Weston as he had worked his azz off for me and I blew it. 162 yards and I missed!

Comment

The suspense is killing me! Come on with it! Lol

Comment

I loaded another round, and seen a dark flash about 60 yards to the left of me. Weston said there goes the three young bulls. I am still sitting on the trail and Weston is behind me, he yells and said the sumbitch is going to hit us. Then I seen the bull coming up the dune running on the trail I am sitting on. The sun was blinding him and he did not see us.

All I seen was a Nilgai head coming up the dune and Weston was yelling "shoot". I got behind my gun and all I could see was Nilgai neck in my scope and I shot.

Comment

I heard the thump that time, and when the bullet hit him he rared up and flipped over. 49 big steps from where I sat to the dead bull.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

nice

Comment

Cool

Comment

Just to make sure this aint no tale, here is a picture of the bull from the opposite side of the dune. The two long drag marks are from him hitting the brakes trying to stop before he met his demise.

His head is pointing the opposite direction than when he was running because he flipped backwards when the shot rang.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Anyway thats my story and I am sticking to it

Comment

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats! That’s some fine eating there and a lot of it!

Comment

Heck yea!

Comment

Waydago! Love the write up

Comment

My rifle was a Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen. I am using Barnes 225 gr TSX bullets and they blow big holes in the sand when you miss.

Comment

An Adrenalin rush right there, Congratulations

Continue writing

Comment

Nice work! Great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X