Skiing on Spring Break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
    Angel Fire is great for kids and beginners. Cheapest ski trip you can do, but about the minimum in services and mountain area that I would go to. For me, its a great 3 day (ski days) trip. For more days than that, I would go somewhere else. Also the easiest drive from TX.

Beaver Creek is the perfect place for the entire family, but look for the vacation to cost 50% more. You couldn't ski the whole place in 5 days plus your ticket is also good at Vail. For a week long trip, I would go there.
    To the OP, make sure you factor in lift ticket prices before you decide. Some of these places are approaching $100 a day or more.

Comment

For a week long trip...Tahoe hands down. You could ride a different mountain each day. This can be done in Summit County as well. But he asked cheap so I think he means driving. NM is the best, closest, cheapest option. No reason to drive right past 6 resorts to go to Colorado. Even if you are hardcore blacks expert like myself, Taos. I have never been but it is top of the line for hardcore chutes, steeps, trees and above treeline.
      Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
        You'll like it. It has everything...south lake or north shore? If you stay in southlake, ski kirkwood....best mountain up there and kind of off the beaten path so you don't get the traffic. Sierra has good spring skiing too, too many people though
        x2. Grew up there. Used to have season passes every year to Kirkwood. Plenty of steep and deep. Take The Wall lift to the top and ski as far to the right as you can. Take off your skis and hike to the top of the rocks. Some cool chutes in there. Watched people ski "heart chute" a few times but I usually just did "sisters" Phenominal hill. Decent for the kiddos.

Comment

There are some good drop ins on the left side of Kirkweed as well. Had my best powder day ever there.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
            To the OP, make sure you factor in lift ticket prices before you decide. Some of these places are approaching $100 a day or more.
            This. Again NM is 50-65.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              There are some good drop ins on the left side of Kirkweed as well. Had my best powder day ever there.
              Always get the most snowfall in the Tahoe area. Powder is awesome there.

Comment

Monarch was great just not my cup of tea I quit 1/2 way through the lesson and watched. Those **** boots hurt my feet and were heavy. The bar and my self became very good friends by days end. Kids loved it

Comment

Ski Apache in Ruidoso is an excellant driving family trip. Shortest drive of all. We get there way early and there is a place where you can back your truck right up to a 4 ft snowbank right by the bunny hill. We throw out some lawn chairs, a cooler and a grill. Slopeside fajitas and cheep beer. water and soft drinks for the kids. Easy to meet back. You always know where to meet. Ski in/out to the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeganNotSansaba View Post
                    We're headed to Tahoe this year. I'll have an opinion when we get back.
                    Let me know when you are up here!! I'll meet ya for a beer

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                      That, I have noticed. Some are @ $60 and some are over $100 per adult.
                      Not too terribly concerned about what I pay for lift tickets but do want to get as much bang for my buck as possible.
                      If I can avoid renting a car, get a ski-in ski-out and not get killed on restaurant food, then I'll pay a lil more at the lift.

My knees aren't what they used to be so I'm not really looking for "steep and deep". Just enough room for me to crash and burn and not hurt anybody, besides myself.
                      First and foremost, I want the most enjoyable time for my kiddos.

Comment

Done alot of NM and CO - both great but New Mexico snow can be hit or miss in March on the green slopes (except for Taos - not real kid friendly). Summit County in Colorado has all your looking for with Breck, Keystone, Copper, Vail (not A Basin - not kid friendly).

Comment

Oh man, if you are flying forget about NM. It's for driving. Tahoe and Summit county is where you wanna go. They both have shuttles from the airport. Keystone and Breck have good ski in/out options. Keystone is very family friendly and has awesome night skiing.

Comment

Summit County is great. Lots of different resorts all within a 30 minute drive, and with that there is a lot of free buses that run all the time and can take you to different resorts depending on where you are staying.

Comment

I grew up spending every Christmas or spring break skiing Vail. It is the ultimate in Colorado, but you will pay a premimum. I went to Steamboat Springs every year of college and that would be my first choice. I haven't been in 15 years so ALOT may have changed but the croweds were small and the price was decent.

Comment

Yeah if you're flying, I'd do Breck. When you buy tickets for Breck, you get Keystone and another one included in that. Breck is HUGE man, like literally 4 mountains if I remember correctly. It's awesome though.

Comment

Working...
                                X