Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the fence. Build or Just buy..thoughts on Ruger action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the fence. Build or Just buy..thoughts on Ruger action.

First of all, I am by no means any sort of bench shooter or accuracy guru. I want something I can use for hog/yote duty and Ive wanted to start polishing up my accuracy on the weekends by doing a little range work. All my rifles so far are sporter type setups. Shorter barrels, lighter stocks. Im wanting a heavy gun and heres where Im trying to justify it all.

Off the shelf I like the Remingtons. Either a VSF or VLS in .308 so its chuck up 700-800 bucks for a new gun or wait it out and hope I find one that pops up for a good deal.

My other thought was to go ahead and start making a gun that is my own. I like having something a little different than most and something that I had some thought go into. I know it will ultimately cost a bit more but It can be drug out to offset costs.

The only gun I currently have thats not being used much but still has some sintimental value to build of off is a Stainless ruger m77 mark 2 in .243

Ive noticed a big lack of ruger builds though and there seems to be a ton about lack of smiths, aftermarket add ons, and possibly integrity and accuracy of the action.

Can anyone advise on building a ruger action?
    Or should I just grab a savage or Remington Varmint style rifle and start there, if I catch on well I can build from there too.

Thanks for any advice.

Seems like you answered your own question when you said "lack of smiths". I'd go with everyone else seems to use.

Comment

it can be done but most GS's won't touch them , not enough aftermarket parts and you need specialized tooling to blueprint the action. I've found that the M77 tolerances are not as precise as M70's or M700's.

additionally, if you spend $1000+ customizing a Ruger and the best it will shoot is 3/4" - 1" would you be happy ? I've seen dis-satisfied customers blame GS's for inaccurate rifles when they were advised against building on a M77 platform.

If you want to do it, go for it. My advice, do some research and find the best Ruger GS in the country and send it to him. I have no clue who that would be

grab a cup of coffee and read this same topic over on 24HCF... http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ifles_on_ruger
      Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-29-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks yall. I guess I have kinda answered my own question but Its nice to have some confirmation. Im no expert so any advice is welcome.

Ill just hold my breath for a good Remmy to pop up and go from there.

My big hold up on a cheaper Remington or savage are the crap synthetic stocks. Im just not a fan.

Blake, do you think that BDL varmint stock I got from you would lend itself well to dropping in a current remington barrel and action into it?
        Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

wood stocks will work just fine, just make sure the stock is pillar and glass bedded to insure 100% contact with the action.

cost will be around $225 +/- unless you DIY .... and finished product should look like this

Comment

That was the plan.
            Want to do it all step by step. Set a gun up, shoot it..then make adjustments and upgrades as needed. Shoot it again the enjoy the improvement.

I just like the classic looking wood over the synthetic. If I was really toting around a lot Id go Soenthing more rugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              it can be done but most GS's won't touch them , not enough aftermarket parts and you need specialized tooling to blueprint the action. I've found that the M77 tolerances are not as precise as M70's or M700's.

additionally, if you spend $1000+ customizing a Ruger and the best it will shoot is 3/4" - 1" would you be happy ? I've seen dis-satisfied customers blame GS's for inaccurate rifles when they were advised against building on a M77 platform.

If you want to do it, go for it. My advice, do some research and find the best Ruger GS in the country and send it to him. I have no clue who that would be

grab a cup of coffee and read this same topic over on 24HCF... http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ifles_on_ruger

I'm in a bit a disagreement with this. I'm really new to this gun building thing but I just sent a m77 to horizon firearms and unless he was blowing smoke up my *** he had rather positive things to say about it. Now I can say he is charging me $100 extra because of extra tooling that he is having to do but he guaranteed me as good of accuracy as any 700 action. It's going in an HS stock with benchmark barrel. I guess we will see how it turns out.

Comment

See that's why I asked. Most of what I heard was all heresay, there were some guys that swore by em. But that's how it goes. You got purists and you have skeptics.

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
                  I'm in a bit a disagreement with this. I'm really new to this gun building thing but I just sent a m77 to horizon firearms and unless he was blowing smoke up my *** he had rather positive things to say about it. Now I can say he is charging me $100 extra because of extra tooling that he is having to do but he guaranteed me as good of accuracy as any 700 action. It's going in an HS stock with benchmark barrel. I guess we will see how it turns out.
                  Sure you can make a Ruger M77 as accurate as a M700 but it will cost you more time and definitely more money. Most people are on a budget and trying to save additional costs. If you love M77's , money is no object, or have a rifle with sentimental value, go for it . If this is your dream rifle, build it how you want. I'm just trying to point out the facts between building a custom rifle using either platform.

Should you ever decide to sell, your "return on investment" will take a serious beating because it's a Ruger and you will have hundreds of dollars tied up in the accurizing process. You would probably come ahead by going with a Stiller action vs. spending money to improve the M77.

The Ruger bolt often has lots of play and to increase tolerances, double sleeving the bolt body would be an option. I also recommend you replace the firing pin, firing pin spring, and bushing the firing pin hole. More added expenses trying to chase accuracy or improve the factory action.

If having the action blueprinted, ask the GS to single point cut the threads which IMO is far superior than chasing factory threads with a tap. Yes it costs more money, but is worth it in the long run. In some of the early model M77's, action threads were not 100% concentric and in the same center line as the bore of the boltway. If threads are off center, chasing with a tap is only going to compound the problem.

Another reason for increased cost on the M77, the front recoil lug angle of screw. Pillars have to be custom cut in the mill and bedding can be a PIA if not done right by an experienced GS. On a Rem 700, nearly all GS's can do this bedding job in their sleep.

enough of my rambling, BDR best of luck on your project and keep us posted on the results. Swampbuck, keep asking questions and doing research for your future rifle projects.

Comment

will do.

And I guess thats why Ive leaned towards remingtons so much already. Just way mor einput out there and far less "unkowns" or second hang accounts.

Comment

The heavy barreled Remington 700s are the best deal going. I have a .308 from the Rem 700 ADL Varmint run made for Cabela's a few years ago. I dropped it in an HS Precision and it shoots a one-hole group when I do my part. With a trigger job, it might do even better---if I were a better shooter.

The 700 is about the easiest platform to work with for customizing. There's more parts for it. There's more gunsmiths familiar with it. It's pretty easy to work on with the right skills and equipment. Go M77 if you want, but do it only after considering all the things Blake said.

LWD

Comment

Check out the Remington long range, cabelas has them on sale for 699.00

Comment

great information

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Sure you can make a Ruger M77 as accurate as a M700 but it will cost you more time and definitely more money. Most people are on a budget and trying to save additional costs. If you love M77's , money is no object, or have a rifle with sentimental value, go for it . If this is your dream rifle, build it how you want. I'm just trying to point out the facts between building a custom rifle using either platform.

Should you ever decide to sell, your "return on investment" will take a serious beating because it's a Ruger and you will have hundreds of dollars tied up in the accurizing process. You would probably come ahead by going with a Stiller action vs. spending money to improve the M77.

The Ruger bolt often has lots of play and to increase tolerances, double sleeving the bolt body would be an option. I also recommend you replace the firing pin, firing pin spring, and bushing the firing pin hole. More added expenses trying to chase accuracy or improve the factory action.

If having the action blueprinted, ask the GS to single point cut the threads which IMO is far superior than chasing factory threads with a tap. Yes it costs more money, but is worth it in the long run. In some of the early model M77's, action threads were not 100% concentric and in the same center line as the bore of the boltway. If threads are off center, chasing with a tap is only going to compound the problem.

Another reason for increased cost on the M77, the front recoil lug angle of screw. Pillars have to be custom cut in the mill and bedding can be a PIA if not done right by an experienced GS. On a Rem 700, nearly all GS's can do this bedding job in their sleep.

enough of my rambling, BDR best of luck on your project and keep us posted on the results. Swampbuck, keep asking questions and doing research for your future rifle projects.
                          "great read," interesting as someday..when I'm able, I would like to try to build something unique!

Comment

Originally posted by jnors06 View Post
                            Check out the Remington long range, cabelas has them on sale for 699.00
                            man this seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Comment

You can get a Remington 700 at Wallmart for $377.00. However you will save more money, if you can build off your Ruger Action. As BDR stated its only $100 more to work on than a Remington. His build is also Guaranteed to shoot 1/2 moa or better. I know BDR has no intentions to ever sell this rifle, since it was his first rifle he ever owned. If you plan to keep it, use the action you have. If your going to sell it later, then go with an action stated above.

Comment

Working...
                              X