Is it more worth it to buy or lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Well, money is an issue. Im looking at 40-60k. Out of state property is WAAYYY cheaper than Tx property.
    Yes sir, agreed. Had a former co-worker who bought almost 3x the amount of land in Oklahoma compared to prices he found in Texas. He researched a lot and ended up doing that because of price and taxes going forward.

Comment

It all depends on what you want to get out of it.
      If your purpose is solely productive hunting then leasing is the way to go. If you want to have the ownership feeling and be able to do other things, then owning may be better.
      We own 200 acres outside uvalde. We could’ve spent MUCH less money and gotten to kill MUCH bigger trophies. Our logic is that my dad and me built it from the ground up ourselves. Hopefully one day if the good Lord permits I will pass it on to my son and that trend will continue.
      Like Fred Bear said “a hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.”

Comment

Familiar looking dog
        For sure...she is my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          It all depends on what you want to get out of it.
          If your purpose is solely productive hunting then leasing is the way to go. If you want to have the ownership feeling and be able to do other things, then owning may be better.
          We own 200 acres outside uvalde. We could’ve spent MUCH less money and gotten to kill MUCH bigger trophies. Our logic is that my dad and me built it from the ground up ourselves. Hopefully one day if the good Lord permits I will pass it on to my son and that trend will continue.
          Like Fred Bear said “a hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.”
          Very well put.

Fred was the man.

Comment

I have found it cheaper for me to hunt out state [new Mexico Arkansas and Colorado], than it is for me to lease in Texas. Plus the added adventure of change of scenery

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I own good hunting land, but hunt other bigger ranch leases with friends. However, owning land that you can be the “boss” and improve as you desire is a great feeling.

Comment

Lease

Comment

Well this is what Im looking at. Buying acerage out of state bordering public hunting.

Or, a place on the lake with public hunting very close. Price for each is about the same. Both will be where I retire.
                  Ive looked VERY casually at out of state bordering public. Some great deals to be had outside of Texas’ insane land prices.

Comment

Looking for a place myself. I would like to make the decisions and not be at the whim of a landowner or rude and inconsiderate leasors

Comment

The better question IMO is what's better.. Leasing or going on some sort of day hunts.

Owning is obviously best but not attainable by most and as mentioned upkeep is more than most realize.

If one has a lease close enough to home to hunt more than 6-8 times per year then a lease may be best. But those who spend 2k+ on a lease and then who knows how much on feeders, corn, protein, stands, work days, a place to stay, water etc...etc..etc.. It would be better to go on paid hunts.

Comment

I have done both but I got really tired of hunting on leases. I hunted on some really good leases and met some really good people doing it. I have had great success hunting on leases as well. But the last lease did me in. I own several pieces of land that I run cows and bale hay on where I live. Along with those properties I get to deer hunt on them as well. Where I live the price per acre is to expensive to just buy to hunt. So I decided to head North into Oklahoma where the land was about 1/3 of the cost, bow season was longer, (no offense to gun hunters) gun season is extremely short, taxes are cheap and I'll stop there with the reasons. There is a lot of fun getting your own place setup the way you want to do it. Land is a great investment!

Comment

All depends on want YOU want. We bought & I could hunt anywhere in Tx for what it cost me for land & upkeep. We don't have a big place,but I enjoy not dealing with leasing issues & hunter drama. To me watching my place come along & the satisfaction of hunting my place is WAY better than any lease.

Comment

Leasing for me for now. Access to a LOT more acreage than I could afford to buy.

I am saving/looking to buy but it will be more for an investment and getaway place.

I would go crazy having to hunt the same 50 acres forever.

Comment

I know, before I get crucified, but here are some points I have experienced that will affect what you decide perhaps:

*BE prepared for the "mentioned" taxes, keeping it Ag Qualified (you DON'T want to pay the extra taxes if you can't qualify.) Find out WHAT it takes to remain or be AG Exempt!!!!!!
                              *BE certain you know the area and the bordering land around you?
                              *RESEARCH past sales history or "lack there of" AND potential issues regarding any easements, right of way, etc.

There are, as mentioned, so may variables that demand MORE $$ to maintain IF you have never owned land. If you don't have any experience with your own "dirt," then get ready to purchase equipment (Tractor, Shredder, Fence Maintenance, etc., etc.,)

I had to sell my small ranch near Granbury 5 years past due to a nasty divorce and now live on an acre BUT I miss those extra acres every single day. BUT, I'm on a lease with my son and others for MUCH less than I was responsible for every year $$ wise.

If you have the $$ AND time to purchase AND are prepared to have it all on you, then GO for it! The LAST thing I would say is don't purchase anything you can't have free and clear by the time you retire...."Kiss of Death," IMO of course.

Live the DREAM, but continue to get the FACTS and not rely on opinions, me included, as stated I miss the space!!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                Just remember that being able to afford to buy a ranch is different than being able to afford owning a ranch. You can easily spend more annually on maintenance/improvements than you would for a nice lease. At least it’s yours so that money is well spent. However, quite a few people end up selling their weekend place because the cost of upkeep becomes too much of a burden, or they don’t have the time to do all the work themselves.
                                I would only lease.

When I could afford to buy, I couldn't afford the time to do the maintenance.

Now that I can afford the time, I can't afford to pay for property.

Comment

Working...
                                X