The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Ok guys we need somewhere to talk gear!!

Camping, backpacking, sleep systems, electronics, Packs..... And anything else you can think of.

I’ll start it off with the new pack I just ordered last night. I have a 5 day Late season Arizona deer hunt coming up in Jan and then a 6-7 day DIY New Zealand trip coming up in May. The pack I am currently running was one of the old Kifaru highcamp 4800s. Not quite big enough for what I’m needing. I was torn between the fulcrum and the Cavern but ended up going with the Fulcrum. I like an organized pack so I think the two pockets on the fulcrum will let me keep some of the important stuff separate from the main bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Camping, backpacking, sleep systems, electronics, Packs..... And anything else you can think of.

I’ll start it off with the new pack I just ordered last night. I have a 5 day Late season Arizona deer hunt coming up in Jan and then a 6-7 day DIY New Zealand trip coming up in May. The pack I am currently running was one of the old Kifaru highcamp 4800s. Not quite big enough for what I’m needing. I was torn between the fulcrum and the Cavern but ended up going with the Fulcrum. I like an organized pack so I think the two pockets on the fulcrum will let me keep some of the important stuff separate from the main bag.

I bought that same pack. I wish the two long exterior vertical pockets could detach. I also wish there was a bottom zipper and a shelf at the bottom of the bag.

Comment

Awesome, this should be a great thread! That pack looks great and I considered it but ultimately went with the EXO 3500.

I have most of my gear for this September but am still indecisive on a shelter. I'm thinking this Aqua Quest Tarp for it's weight/size/price. Open to any and all advice, I'm trying to stay lightweight without breaking the bank too much.

Comment

For shelter I take my North Face tent and depending on the weather outlook I can leave the tent at the truck and just pack in the poles and fly and it will stand on its own. I like the idea of a tarp but have not played with them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          Awesome, this should be a great thread! That pack looks great and I considered it but ultimately went with the EXO 3500.

I have most of my gear for this September but am still indecisive on a shelter. I'm thinking this Aqua Quest Tarp for it's weight/size/price. Open to any and all advice, I'm trying to stay lightweight without breaking the bank too much.

I have one of the Mountain Smith LT tarps and that shelter is awesome. I took it to Colorado two years ago up above timberline. We had a bad storm roll in and it held up like a champ. I’m not using it this year, let me know if you need to borrow it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Great choice! I was leaning toward the Fulcrum before ultimately deciding to go with the Cavern (based primarily on Aron's suggestion.)

Originally posted by Patton View Post

I'm a big fan of a tarp. I'd suggest getting it soon and playing around with different pitch options so you can quickly set up different pitches depending on weather and terrain conditions. Learn a few quick release knots (Siberian (or Evenk) hitch, taught-line hitch, taught tarp hitch, etc.) and you're in business!

As I mentioned in my most recent video about sleep system, I'm running my DD 10x10 nylon tarp.
            Originally posted by Stoof View Post
            For shelter I take my North Face tent and depending on the weather outlook I can leave the tent at the truck and just pack in the poles and fly and it will stand on its own. I like the idea of a tarp but have not played with them yet.
            That sounds like a versatile option!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20°) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20°) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
              Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20°) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20°) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
                Hope this helps someone.

This is my opinion also. The best equipment (packs, shoes, tents etc..) are not by hunting related companies. My buddies that live and hunt in Colorado all carry backpacking packs - not one is made specifically for hunting.

Comment

This is the perfect thread can’t wait to read what all gets posted, been needing one of these on here.

Nice packs y’all got. I run an EXO 5500 for my backcountry expeditions, it allows me enough room to take everything I need for 14-16 days and I can cinch it down for short 4-6 day trips. I also have the load shelf I use with it for heavier loads when packing meat or when you’re trying to pack out that awkward meat bag of all the trimmings like backstraps and neck meat.

Shelter I use an 8 man kifaru tipi with the liner, and a medium kifaru stove I’ll pack with it for winter time hunts or when I will be needing to dry damp clothes on a daily basis. The tipi w/ pole and liner comes in at 9lbs I believe and split carrying between 2 people is perfect.

Sleeping pad I use a big Agnes Slx, if it is gonna be late winter I’ll also strap onto the outside of my pack, a closed cell foam pad for added warmth.

Sleeping bag wise, I use my big Agnes farwell 0*. It’s not the smallest or lightest but it having the sleeping pad sleeve keeps me on my pad at night, which is one of the greatest things if you toss and turn, and the synthetic fill drys quickly if it gets wet. For warmer weather I carry a Coleman mummy I got from Walmart for 35$ that I sewed some elastic band on the back to keep it on my pad at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                    This is my opinion also. The best equipment (packs, shoes, tents etc..) are not by hunting related companies. My buddies that live and hunt in Colorado all carry backpacking packs - not one is made specifically for hunting.

I will also agree with this except for the backpack part, in my experience, especially in units and areas where meat cannot be deboned in the field, the expensive adventure hunting backpacks are the way to go because of their design to carry out meat.

On my backpack fishing adventures I use a backpacking pack, instead of my hunting pack, which is definitely the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      I will also agree with this except for the backpack part, in my experience, especially in units and areas where meat cannot be deboned in the field, the expensive adventure hunting backpacks are the way to go because of their design to carry out meat.

On my backpack fishing adventures I use a backpacking pack, instead of my hunting pack, which is definitely the way to go.

That’s funny because we have all gone to Osprey type packs for packing out. We use smaller hunting type packs for hunting but have backpacking type packs in the truck for hauling out meat. My hunting partner hauled out 120 pounds in an Osprey 5500- I’m not carrying 120 pounds period [emoji23]

Comment

I went with the exo 5500 pack, north face guide 0F bag, and Kelly outfitter 2p tent. I think I’m going to go with the Therm-a-Rest trail pro pad.

Comment

Anyone besides the OP have any hunts coming up this fall/winter?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            Hope this helps someone.
                            This.

Comment

Great thread idea. I'm going to Colorado for archery elk in mid-September. Here are some of my more interesting items on the gear list:

Pack - Kifaru Reckoning
                              Shelter - Seek Outside LBO w/3 piece vestibule
                              Sleeping bag - Marmot 30 degree down/synthetic blend
                              Sleeping pad - Exped Synmat HL long-wide
                              Stove - Jetboil flashboil

Comment

Working...
                              X