Old buck with a busted eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old buck with a busted eye?

Pretty sure this deer is at least 7-8. Had pics of him in velvet two summers back and he was at least 5 at the time. Lots of pics this season but never seen him in person. Pics this last week look like he lost an eye fighting. Assuming he survives, any experience of what this will do to a buck next season? Should I turn my friends lose on my spot to try to get him killed in the next few weeks?

Personally, if I had a youth I'd maybe let them kill him but to me he's served his time and I like to say I'd let him live out his days. Of course if he walked out I could change my mind! Cool deer

Comment

It should not effect his antler growth in the future. It might be an issue in the rut. I have seen a buck that was a low 170's type 5x5 that had been blind in right eye for 2 yrs turn into a 190 type 6x6 with two more kickers the 3rd year.

Comment

I’d let him walk just to see what he does next year. Cool old deer though.

Comment

I'd definitely try to kill him, but not necessarily because of the injury. He's old enough and I don't see him blowing up next year. If he develops an infection and his body condition suffers it could affect antler growth next year but if he makes it to the spring in good body condition he should be fine.
          We have a 7-8 year old buck on our place that's the same way. He lost an eye earlier this year and it looks pretty ugly. He's about a 130-ish 8 point and I don't see him turning in to anything special next year. We've been saving him for a guest to kill.

Comment

I would find someone to put him out of his misery.....I hurt just looking at the picture.

Comment

He's an old War Horse.

Comment

his time has come...

Comment

Let someone shoot him

Comment

we have a one eyed buck we named cyclops. he is about 8-9 and barely even a 115" inch deer. in his prime he was a mid 140" deer. he is nocturnal and unkillable. i bet nature takes it toll on him this year.

Comment

You could kill him and do a euro with an eye patch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, ok.... I will put him out of his misery.
                        Joke, but I definitely would. Haven't been able to hunt in 5 yrs. I agree with everyone else, could get an infection, get worse and die or less growth next year. I don't think he will get any bigger than what he is.

Comment

His rack doesn't look special anyways and at that age your gambling and hoping he doesn't go downhill. Especially with an injury/infection.

He is past his prime, I would let a kid or buddy try to shoot him

Comment

I have read several articles about injured deer and it seems that stressful situation affects horn growth the next year. My personal opinion is I would be proud to have him hanging on my wall. Especially with a missing eye.

Comment

I found this buck in KS and killed him 3 days later. His eye was gouged out in a fight the first pics I got of him and it looked like a baseball 3 days later when I killed him. Pretty gruesome. Not sure if he’d have made it or if infection woulda killed him but he was still looking for a fight the afternoon I killed him.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X