No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm gonna put in for some of these puplic hunts. My kids would love them.

Comment

Originally posted by BVM View Post
      Just got back from the last hunt at Garner. 20 Hunters I believe there were 9 maybe 10 axis shot. One relatively good buck will post pics tomorrow. Muzzy I think my daughter hunted the same one you did stand 17 I hunted stand 19. This hunt was the least successful because the deer had been shot at for 2 weeks.

Talked to the ranger as to why there is no bow hunts and he is considering it for the future. There is an estimated 800-1000 axis on the park. We saw at least a hundred every day right at the main gate. He said in the past he had a bow hunt and no one could pass the accuracy test. Not sure who took the test because it seemed really easy. He put a 5 x 3 postcard at 20 yards. You only had to hit it one out of 5 arrows and no one passed. I did not get all the details, but he is at least considering some future bow hunts.

All in all we really enjoyed it. The other hunts I have been on were a little more "relaxed" but this was still nice. I have won 30+ drawn hunts over the past few years so this was not my first TPWD draw hunt experience.
      My Dad hunted blind 19 the hunt just before your hunt. He saw lots of axis the last 2 hunts. He chose not to shoot because I had already killed 2 and we had meat. I ended up killing another the last morning and gave away the meat except one backstrap.

Did you see a lot at Blind 19?

Comment

Anyone have any pics they can post...any pics of the animals taken, campsite, terrain?

Comment

how did it go?

Comment

Had a great time! Everyone there was very courteous and professional. Although we were the 5th hunt (I think) at the park for the year, our group still shot 18 Axis! I will be trying to get back there next year!

Comment

Anyone have any idea of the odds of getting drawn??? Are the chances pretty good to get drawn or is there a crazy number of people that have applied for this park?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                Anyone have any idea of the odds of getting drawn??? Are the chances pretty good to get drawn or is there a crazy number of people that have applied for this park?
                I would say its one of the more desired hunts. We were lucky! If I remember correctly the book said they had 2-3000 apps last year for this draw hunt!

Comment

I would call the week before all the hunts and try standby if they have a fair # of them. They drew 5 on our hunt.

Comment

great information on your hunt and congrats on the harvest.

Comment

Blind 19 and pics

My daughter and I saw very little. She hunted 19 and I hunted 17. We each only saw one axis and it was for a very brief time. Both we saw just trotted across the lane.

It was tough, with many people not seeing a single axis. (other then the hundreds you drive through at the gate - ha)

I tried to upload the pic, but obviously I am green screen pic illiterate.

Comment

Dang - sorry to hear that. Thought 19 would be a good blind given my Dad was seeing them the last 2 hunts eating at the feeder and did not shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                          Five standbys openings about 15-20 waited
                          I was one of the standbys. They numbered the cards as people signed up. They changed my card to #11 from #10. Ranger called #10. Thought it a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                            10-4. Here now I was the third one here to put in for the two open spots. Hope no one else shows up before the drawing at 11! Wish me luck!!
                            I was there for that drawing too.
                            Not selected. Went back to Concan area to work on camp house. I did take a pig at my lease.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread because I am headed there January 13-15 for the exotic hunt.

Any tips on what to bring is appreciated. Do the blinds have chairs? I'm bringing a camp chair just in case.

What other essentials will I need that are outside the normal hunting stuff I am bringing?

Comment

Word is Garner SP Supervisor sees the hunts as a major inconvenience because he is mandated to do them. Garner SP generates its money from camping and day use fees....experience is sub-par at best...

Comment

Working...
                                X