Is Sitka hear worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sitka hear worth it?

Heading to Alaska for a spot and stalk bear hunt. Been thinking about Sitka gear. Seems pretty versatile and I’m looking for that since it’s a boat based hunt. But dang... the $$$!. Anyone have good/bad reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s worth it is the short answer . Check out first lite and kuiu..

Comment

Yes good stuff........only if used in the layering system. I am KUIU fan also but very tight fitting. I have about 60% of my hunting clothes in Sitka. Camofire will have lots on their website over the next 4 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

What does it do that a basic product from Academy or Cabelas won't do?

Comment

Yes it’s good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            In Texas in a tree stand or blind? Nothing.

In extreme weather from sunshine to downpour, 85 to 15, and hiking over mountains, it allows you to regulate your body temperature and stay dry. It also is easy to layer for differing weather. You can startup light in the morning when you need to hike 3 miles to a glassing spot and sweat. Then throw on more layers as needed once you're in the cold windy spot. Cotton ain't gonna cut it once it gets wet from rain or sweat. It's also extremely high quality and won't break on you and mess up your hunt. It's also much lighter weight than cheap stuff, which can mean a lot hiking in the mountains. Merino wool doesn't stink like synthetic or cotton does. So on a week long hunt you can wear the same shirt and underwear without smelling like a teenage boys locker room.

All that being said, check out First Lite and Kuiu (in that order) before you decide on Sitka. Nothing at all wrong with their gear, just a bit more expensive for essentially the same product.

Comment

I hunted Southeast Alaska for about 10 years. I hunted bears in waders. The bear in my avatar was killed wearing Simms waders and a Day One Camo fleece pullover.

I also used:

Comment

1000% worth it!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is Sitka hear worth it?

You know, most of the folks that live there and hunt don’t buy all that expensive clothing. Its your cash though.

Kinda like the people who live in CO, MT, and WY don’t buy 28 Noslers and 300 Win Mags to elk hunt. Ask them and they’ll tell you they don’t need them because all the Texas guys bring plenty of magnums to kill everything there twice over.

That being said Sitka makes some nice clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by 175gr7.62; 04-06-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I used to buy cheap camo and think it was fine and that replacing it every few years was normal. I finally got my hands on some Sitka a few years back, had some $ burning a hole in my pocket, and decided to bite the bullet. Best decision I ever made. The stuff is just flat out awesome quality. It's like they thought of everything and put it into their clothing. The fit is awesome and quality is second to none. I look at it like this...I won't need to buy a set of hunting gear for literally 15 years if not longer. It will last me that long and is an investment worth the $ IMO. The initial cost is hard to swallow but gotta think long term...

Comment

First Lite period!

Comment

Like others said, I'd look at First Lite before you buy. It's awesome. And significantly cheaper. This sounds crazy but spend a couple weeks researching to make sure you're getting what you need. I never knew so much went into high end hunting clothing. Also, look for used stuff on rokslide and you'll save a lot.

Comment

The high end mountain gear is worth it. I strongly reccomend checking out Pnuma gear as well. It carries an unconditional lifetime warranty. Even if you tear it crossing a fence!

Comment

You are flying up to Alaska for a hunt of a lifetime. A few hundred extra on clothing will be a drop in the bucket. I have not used Sitka but I do not go cheap on clothes that can potentially keep you alive out in the cold. I would find a good wool base layer, fleece mid layer and a Gore Tex or equivalent shell.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              Technically cabelas has a competitive product line

Where Sitka, firstlite, Kuiu and cabelas instinct line excel is in their waterproof breathable rain wear and quick dying layering system that has a very high warmth to weight ratio.

Can you find other stuff that’s just as good for less money, if you watch sales you can pick up some solid color mountaineering brands like mountain hardware for Less.

But do those mountaineering brands support hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X