Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big is too big?? When it comes to eating a hog....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    No such thing. The bigger the better.
    X2. Have ate boars up to 260 and tasted great!

Comment

Originally posted by Bminchew View Post
      No such thing as a sow or barr being to big. Boars if they stink I don't mess with them.
      ^^^^THIS^^^^

Know people that processed big ol stinky boar hogs and when they cooked the meat it stunk up the house

Pics and buzzard bait on the big nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        There's no glands. You may be thinking of javelina. Clean same as a deer.
        Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        I wasn't gonna say anything...I had never heard of that before.
        Talking about lymph nodes, in hams and shoulders in deer and hogs

Say what you want and process how you will, it makes difference in taste to me so I cut them out
        That and dirt and other foreign stuff is what led to me buying the equipment to process my own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
          This right here. I wouldn't eat a 20lb boar if I was starving. Any boar has a smell, that's a fact regardless of what others say. You may have a higher tolerance but a boar is a boar, well unless it's lacking boar things... Then it's tasty. I prefer a fat one, whether it's a fat 50lb sow or 400lb sow. However I'll take the biggest and fattest Everytime.
          If it has nuts, I ain't eating it otherwise, I'm good with any size

Comment

Shot a 300+ or - a few years ago that tasted great. She had a belly full of piglets that a lease members daughter dissected.

Comment

I have no size limit. I have cleaned an 80#'r and it was the most foul smelling meat, not to mention green fat from eating so much winter oats. I've cleaned 350#'rs and they were some of the best eating. My rule is to skin and smell the meat. If the meat has that "funky" smell I may the backstraps and coyote bait the rest. I've ice bathed hog meat for 2 weeks before and that'll pretty much get rid of any funkyness. No matter the size, all hogs smell on the outside but if the meat stinks it won't eat good.

Comment

How big is too big?? When it comes to eating a hog....

All boars have a smell? Hm. I've never killed a sow that smelled good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by JW; 12-20-2016, 02:10 AM.

Comment

sow backstrap- no such thing
                  sow quarters- under 100
                  Boar backstrap-50 pounds
                  Boar quarters- 50 pounds

Comment

One thing I have noticed is that if it's a clean instant kill the meat is better than a hog that was shot and ran a ways. I have been told that when they run it gets the adrenaline flowing strongly before they die and gives the meat a twang. As others have said, proper processing goes a long ways as well.

Comment

I eat backstraps on almost all pigs.....unless it smells real bad!!!

Eaten BS off a 296 boar..because he had no smell

I have no weight limit on cleaning then. CLeaned a 230+ lb sow a few weekends ago

Comment

If it wont fit in my smoker whole its buzzard food.

Comment

If the boar is rutting there ain't a good size. If a sow is in season and being tended she gonna smell and taste like a rutting boar.
                          If they have a strong skunky smell leave them for the buzzards.
                          However all hogs are gonna stink some. Let your nose be your guide.
                          If none of the above then any size is good.

Comment

I don't care if it's a sow or a boar or if it weighs 10lbs or 250lbs...I keep and process them all. I had an old timer show me a trick that works on a big ole boar... After pig is quartered in ice chest sprinkle half a box of baking soda over the meat before adding your ice. Let ice melt and drain water repeat daily for 5-7 days never adding more baking soda. It works, though I rarely have to add the baking soda unless he's smells strong.

Comment

While I have never killed a "monster " boar, I have never eaten wild pork that had any off putting flavor or taste. ITs all in how its cared for, cleaned, butchered, and cooked.

Comment

Truthfully I like the 150lbs better than the little ones. I know the little ones are fun to smoke whole, I get that. But the larger ones when done right can be real fun to cook and experiment with. I do a lot of primal cuts and whole quarters braised or smoke for tacos and pulled pork type dishes. Last rear ham I braised whole was done spicy Mexican pulled pork style and fed a ton of people. No one knew it wasn't domestic, no one complained of taste, and it was from a 220 lbs boar.

Comment

Working...
                                X