No announcement yet.

Nilgai Time = King Ranch Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to do this hunt one of these days. Is there a TBH group that could use another hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
      I would love to do this hunt one of these days. Is there a TBH group that could use another hunter?
      I don't think the TBH'ers ever did a TBH hunt like the one in Quebec for Nilgai? My buddy and his wife are not on TBH but hunt year around...…. bow only.

Comment

This is really cool. 40,000 Nilgai is an insane number. And so is the acreage. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Sir please accept my apologies. I had gotten your PM and totally forgotten. We hunted the NORIAS unit about 235,000 acres for bowhunters. Our drive from Houston area was an easy 4 hours with a stop in Kingsville at the Whataburger before meeting Joey our guide. We (3 of us) were the only bowhunters out there...…….been that way for 3 years actually. Oscar did not come out this year, but Joey did a great job getting us on stands. Morning hunts continued to be slow...…..fence lines are not as productive as waterholes. We all passed on one morning hunt and slept in. We all passed on the last days hunt also...……...we were wore out and packed our gear. Every night we got back to the camp around 10:30 pm.

Don't totally remember but I think the 3.5 day hunt was about $2,300 or $2,800 this year...…..that includes a BULL and a female. You can pay for additional nilgai if you see a bigger one or just want more meat. Tons of hogs, especially around waterholes. Saw quite a few coyotes but none got within bow range this year. They provide nice lodging and we brought our own meals/drinks, etc. You are allowed to bring a camp cook if you have one......we are not that fancy. We are re-booked for next year as once you give up your dates it is difficult to get back on the books. I am not sure why they don't take on more bowhunters as the place is immense in size...…...and the animals are definitely there in large numbers...…...approximately 40,000 nilgai on all units combined of the KING RANCH with zero high fences!!!

One waterhole in the evening I had 73 nilgai . Some as close as 15 yards, some hung up around 140 yards. I never saw less than 20 nilgai. Trying to get the best shot on a big bull is tough nontheless. Heck, it is even hard to figure out which one is bigger as it is difficult to see the chevron size at the base of their horns.
          Overall, it is a must do hunt for a bowhunter. Be ready to sweat, long days, lots of snakes if stalking(Rob nearly stepped on one while tracking his bull), and good meat! I don't see myself doing this hunt for 10 plus years straight like my buddy but it is a good way to fill in the bowhunting lull!!!!

Thank you Oscar!!! You shot your bull in the first evening right? How long do you typically sit each hunt? How tough is it to draw when they come in?
          Last edited by IDFWU; 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
            You shot your bull in the first evening right? How long do you typically sit each hunt? How tough is it to draw when they come in?
            Yes, this year shot on first evening. Last year on 2nd evening. The year before I never shot at one. I shot a young cow on the second evening this year but never recovered her...….too far back! Gotta geaux straight up that leg...….totally my fault as she was being pushed around by a bull and was super nervous. Looked for her about 3 or 4 hours over the next two days...…….not even buzzards!
            We left camp at 3 pm. Settled in by 3:45 pm and sit till pitch dark in evenings. 4 hours or so. Morning leave at dark and sit about 4 hours. I use the same techniques I use when hunting any mammals...…...draw when they are looking away or hidden behind another animal, or head down.
            Last edited by Landrover; 05-24-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks Oscar...and thanks for the tips on packing for SA.

If you are going back to the King Ranch next year and need an extra hunter, let me know. I may be interested.

Comment

If you are going back to the King Ranch next year and need an extra hunter, let me know. I may be interested.
                Will deaux sir! I will let Rob know that other good folks are interested......you are the third on this thread! That KING Ranch bowhunt is actually his wife's yearly hunt.

Comment

I'd be interested in joining too. I've always wanted to hunt one on the King!

Comment

congrats! I hunted there years ago with 4 Arrows and shot a small bull. This write up makes me want to go back!

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                      congrats! I hunted there years ago with 4 Arrows and shot a small bull. This write up makes me want to go back!
                      Ill trade my spot for a trip to Alaska.....lol!!! How you been sir?

Comment

Wow! Monster! Hope you get on him. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d be interested as well for a group hunt, Nilgai has been on my list for a while, just can’t convince any of my friends to add it to theirs yet.

Comment

Congrats on a fine bull!

Comment

Good luck man, that next on my Things To DO List

Comment

I just booked a 3 person archery hunt with King Ranch for March. It is all Oscars fault!

Comment

Working...
                                X