No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think everyone should at least give an orvis helios a test. Used to hate orvis rods about like I hated rage broadheads. That helios is a homerun for sure.

Comment

I would love to go Sage on everything....eewwwhheeew, thats a grand or more.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
        I think everyone should at least give an orvis helios a test. Used to hate orvis rods about like I hated rage broadheads. That helios is a homerun for sure.
        I've had Orvis rods in years past, but it's been a long time. I need to cast a Helios. Or maybe I don't.

Comment

For me the helios line is just about perfect. Lightest rod in hand that I have thrown. The action is plenty fast for punching in to the wind. It also has enough action that you can truly feel the rod load. I use a helios 6 weight all the time in the salt. Also have a 10ft 6 weight for throwing junk(nymphs and indicators), a 5 weight and a 9 weight. They really are nice rods. Oh, forgot about the 8 ft 3 weight as well. Use it all the time in Colorado and New Mexico.

Comment

A wealth of info here.

Comment

I love the light rods. The Sage that I broke and rebuilt is a RPL 286 - 8'6" 2wt. FUN trout rod. It's the rod in the pic of 5 yr old Zach with the 5# rainbow that I posted earlier, actually. Had it a long time. The only other rod I own that I'd rather catch a fish on is a 6'6" 2wt that I built on a cheap Cabela's full flex blank. FUN little rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                I love the light rods. The Sage that I broke and rebuilt is a RPL 286 - 8'6" 2wt. FUN trout rod. It's the rod in the pic of 5 yr old Zach with the 5# rainbow that I posted earlier, actually. Had it a long time. The only other rod I own that I'd rather catch a fish on is a 6'6" 2wt that I built on a cheap Cabela's full flex blank. FUN little rods.
                I have a sage 1 weight I bought years ago. Caught a 20 in cutthroat in the Valle Vidal with it. That was awesome. Caught some big rainbows in a spring creek in Montana on it. That one weight makes a 6 in fish feel really good!

Comment

Wonderful thread

Comment

If any one is looking for a good set up I'm selling a sage response 9' 6wt with a fighting but and a Ross lt4 large arbor reel. It's in the classifieds.

Comment

I got hooked a few years ago. To me it is the same thrill as bowhunting but you can do it all year and in some of the most perfect places in God's creation. We need to put a TBH trip together to Wyoming or Montana next summer.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have been into the fly for the past 10 yrs. Fishing fresh and salt. Made Alaska salmon run on the fly this past summer. I am always ready for a little fly fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                          I have a sage 1 weight I bought years ago. Caught a 20 in cutthroat in the Valle Vidal with it. That was awesome. Caught some big rainbows in a spring creek in Montana on it. That one weight makes a 6 in fish feel really good!
                          20" cut in the Valle Vidal is a heck of a trophy. Rio Costilla?

Comment

How many fly fishermen on here.

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            20" cut in the Valle Vidal is a heck of a trophy. Rio Costilla?

Yes, rio Costilla. Pretty sure it was a snake river cutt that came from the lake on vermejo. Looked different than the ro grande cutts that are native. He ate a blonde wulff in a beautiful little run. Should have heard me yelling to my buddy so we could get a pic. That was years ago and I have no idea where that photo is. I am a cutthroat nut.

Comment

I've caught a lot of cutthroat in Latir, but they're not anywhere near 20" there. Fun little creek to fish though. Costilla used to be a lot better 20 years ago. There was hardly ever anybody else there, and they didn't jack with the flows out of the lake so much like they do now.

Comment

I started in 1985. Mostly creeks and stock tanks until 2002. Fished Alaska a couple times, silvers, pinks and dollies. Grayling were fun too. Best time was being with my daughter when she caught her first cutthroat on a dry fly in a little creek in the Tetons after she finished a summer internship at the park. For me fly fishing adds a lot of spice to the sport. Fly-tying adds another dimension to the art similar to hand-loading for me. Great thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X