Which lens (newbie question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lens (newbie question)

Alright so I finally picked up a camera (Canon Rebel T2i) it has the factory 18-55 lens on it now. What would be a good lens to get for hauling this to the lease with me and whatnot and get some decent shots of deer and other wildlife? Not looking to break the bank but don't want a hunk of junk either haha I don't even know what to begin looking for with the lenses

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hello. If you're gonna just take pics close up then might I suggest the canon 50mm 1.8 stm. They go for about 125 even at best buy or online. Youtube it for examples to see if it's to your liking.

Comment

70-300 f4/5.6
      70-200 f4 with teleconverter

Comment

I would love to be able to take pic's out to 50 yards or more . But what would I need for say 20 to 50 yards? Is that gonna be a monster lens? Like I said I'm super new to all this

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          70-300 f4/5.6
          70-200 f4 with teleconverter
          I'm gonna have to look into those, thank you for the suggestions! Teleconverter sounds like something from back to the future haha guess I have more to learn than I thought

Comment

Tamron 150-600 is a good choice as well

Comment

Some good suggestions but until you get some more experience you should wait on getting any of the the big lenses. While the bigger lens will give you more distance and better low light performance, they weigh quite a bit and it takes a different technique to hold them steady enough for good shots. They also cost quite a bit more and there's really no point in jumping in with both feet until you see what your photography needs actually are. I would suggest the Canon 55-250 STM, it's a very good bang for the buck and you can get one for about $100 used. Just be sure and get the STM, the non STM version isn't anywhere near as sharp and the focus is slower. Also, stay away from the 75-300, it's a terrible lens.

Comment

I bought the 100-400mm IS 4.0/5.6 when I got my first Canon back in 2004. I still use it a lot nowdays.

Comment

That kit lens is actually a great lens for a lot of applications. Get-togethers, scenery, portraits, pets, LDPs...

If you're looking for a lens you can use to take pictures of wildlife from your stand and want to stay under $1000, your options are basically the 55-250 f4-5.6, 70-200 f/4 (this is an L-series lens, Canon's best quality glass) or the 70-300 f4-5.6. Buying something with image stabilization will help reduce motion blur in low light situations.

Sigma and Tamron also make some good quality lenses and they are a less pricey than Canon. I'm not very familiar with their lines so I'll stick to what I know.

If you just want a good all-round lens, there are several standard zoom and prime lenses that can be had for well under a grand. 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 18-200, 24-105, ect. (My favorite all-round lens is the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS) but most of these are too short for wildlife that's much over 20 yards away.

Comment

The two lenses that I've used most for that purpose are:

Canon 300mm f/4
                    It's compact, light and has a built-in sliding lens hood. Relatively good in low light.

Sigman (or Tamron) 150-600mm f/5-6.3
                    Takes up a little more room in the pack. Not quite as good in low light, but more focal length usually makes it worth the trade-off. Less expensive than the Canon.

Both have image stabilization. Both can be easily hand held. For the money, I'd recommend the Sigma unless you want something more compact.

As Sika said, there are many other offerings and these are just what I have experience with.

Comment

That 300 f/4 is a great lens. I'd also recommend the 70-200 f/4 or the 200 f/2.8. The 200 f/2.8 you can get a used one for about $500 and add a 2x teleconverter to give you a 400 f5.6. I've found that combination to be extremely portable and useful to 100 or so yards. Past that it gets really expensive in a hurry.

If you're going to do it, buy once, cry once. A high quality lens will last for years. I'd also recommend renting a couple lenses before plunking down this kind of cash.

Comment

In case the OP (or others) are looking for a great, relatively compact wildlife lens to use hand held from a deer blind, this one in the TBH classifieds right now is hard to beat...

Comment

I have this 28-135 lens that came with my camera and other than putting a protective filter on it, it has never been used. Will sell for 200.00, shipping included if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                            In case the OP (or others) are looking for a great, relatively compact wildlife lens to use hand held from a deer blind, this one in the TBH classifieds right now is hard to beat...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=645081
                            Thanks for the shout out David. It's already sold.

Comment

Working...
                            X