Scoring a deer with 3 main beams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoring a deer with 3 main beams?

Shot a deer opening morning of gun season. He has 3 mainbeams on his left side and a normal mainbeam on his right with 4 points. Just got him back from the taxidermist and am curious as to how I score him. I’ve searched google and here with no results. Does anyone know how to do it?

One of the beams is the main beam and the other two are scored as nontypical points.

Comment

So would the smaller beam in the back be the main beam since the brow tine matches the typical sides brow tine?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here’s the whole mount by the way and can see all his stuff!
        Attached Files

Comment

No help
          But cool deer and nice shoulder mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't look like another main beams to me. But looks like some cool extra points. Looks like an awesome deer though!
            Last edited by bigbad243; 03-12-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
              So would the smaller beam in the back be the main beam since the brow tine matches the typical sides brow tine?
              That's what I would say. Looks like a typical 3 point antler and everything in front would be nontypical.

Comment

I would have to have better pics or actually see that deer in person to give you my opinion on how I would score it and I am an official P&Y scorer. Hadly anyway to tell from those pics. In person would be the best way to tell.

Comment

That dude had all sorts of wires crossed in his genes.

Comment

No help, but congrats on a nice trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by cstrey18 View Post
                      One of the beams is the main beam and the other two are scored as nontypical points.
                      This. I would take the longest one and make it the main beam getting mass measurements from it as well. Looks like the far left one would be it with the points coming off of it. Other 2 are considered nontypical points. Nets are for fish. Just add them all up for gross score.

Comment

I see him between 105"-110"

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                          That dude had all sorts of wires crossed in his genes.

He sure did idk where he got all of that from cause we usually have typical 8 and 10s around us. I wouldn’t have shot him but I knew he had something going on up there. There was a deer a few years ago that was crazy horned on one side and I’m wondering if it was him when he was younger.

Comment

his left side is simple. score the brow and the beam that has the g2 on it. the big point off front is extra as well as the point off the brow.

Comment

Pick the tine that most closely matches the other side in length. You do this to minimize deductions to improve the net score. But, since most folks aren't really concerned with the net score, it doesn't really matter how you score it. The gross score is just total inches, so in that respect, it doesn't really matter how you score it. The exception is that the G's have to originate off the whatever you call the mainbeam, which also can affect the H's. Clear as mud?

Comment

Working...
                              X