Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood trailing with a UV / blacklight

Anybody have success?

Ive a really good LED blacklight flashlight and have been wondering if its worth having in the pack on evening hunts. My streamlight is go to leader but its quite heavy. The pictured LED blacklight is light and roughly the size of a beer can and uses 3 AA batteries.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Watching.
    We're thinking of getting a thermal to test on blood tracking.
    Thinking the Leupold LTO....

Comment

No users. I might have seen too many CSI episodes.

Very well.

Comment

On a positive note.... No absolute fails. Seemingly no tries.

Im gonna try. I dont mind failure.

Ill let yall know how it goes.

Comment

Blood trailing with a UV / blacklight

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          On a positive note.... No absolute fails. Seemingly no tries.

Im gonna try. I dont mind failure.

Ill let yall know how it goes.

Looking forward to the results.

A buddy wants to try and blood track with a Thermal.

Not sure yet how that’s going to turn out.
          Somehow I ended getting volunteered to test the theory after he buys it. Says that Leupold has 2 he wants to try...

This is one of them.
          We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818
          Last edited by Pushbutton2; 02-13-2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I’ve been waiting to try my black light on a pig. Hard to do when they drop in their tracks because you used a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Looking forward to the results.

A buddy wants to try and blood track with a Thermal.

Not sure yet how that’s going to turn out.
              Somehow I ended getting volunteered to test the theory after he buys it. Says that Leupold has 2 he wants to try...

This is one of them.
              https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collec...nt=42382542933
              Im trying to wrap my mind around how this might work with blood trailing...especially on a trail of cold blood after waiting a couple hours to not pressure the wounded animal. I can fathom how it would enable finding a wounded critter still alive and warm. I sure couldve used it two years ago when I gut shot a buck and spent about 8 hrs searching brush at night and he was about 150 yds away.

I like Leupold...alot.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                I’ve been waiting to try my black light on a pig. Hard to do when they drop in their tracks because you used a gun.
                Good form. What a good problem to have. Drag the next behind the truck, mock trail and see how it goes. Let us know.

Soonest Ill be able to test will be GRXH. After the hunt...I need to kill some of my roosters. Im gonna let some blood and go for a walk (with a dead cock) during daylight/dusk then return after nightfall.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-13-2018, 10:50 PM. Reason: DeadCockWalkSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                  Watching.
                  We're thinking of getting a thermal to test on blood tracking.
                  Thinking the Leupold LTO....
                  In my experience a thermal isn't useful if you're trying to find blood in grass. I haven't had to use it out of necessity, but I've tested my FLIR thermosight on blood in grass over the last two deer seasons. The blood drops and streaks you typically need to follow cool off too quickly to track, I can't see them even if I only wait 15 minutes because I know the deer went down quickly. I will say that my Thermosight has a fixed long range focus for shooting, so maybe something designed to focus within 5-10ft would fare better...but I would be surprised.

The thermal is great for shortcutting the end of your track by spotting the body the grass/brush. But I really love having it to see what and where deer are moving when I'm going out to hunt in the mornings and to help spot whats coming out before dusk in the evenings.

Comment

Im trying to wrap my mind around how this might work with blood trailing...especially on a trail of cold blood after waiting a couple hours to not pressure the wounded animal. I can fathom how it would enable finding a wounded critter still alive and warm. I sure couldve used it two years ago when I gut shot a buck and spent about 8 hrs searching brush at night and he was about 150 yds away.

I like Leupold...alot.
                    As Ami I.

If my buddy wants to buy it and have me try it out I'm willing.

I don't usually wait a couple of hours. I usually wait 15-20 minutes.

Comment

Good form. What a good problem to have. Drag the next behind the truck, mock trail and see how it goes. Let us know.

Soonest Ill be able to test will be GRXH. After the hunt...I need to kill some of my roosters. Im gonna let some blood and go for a walk (with a dead cock) during daylight/dusk then return after nightfall.

My post came off completely differently than intended. Meant it in more of a funny haha way than how it reads. My bad.

Hopefully I’ll get in some hunts in March to test the light out. I have a new feeder light that’ll give me a lot more time to hunt after work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm old fashioned I guess I still use an old 2 mantel Colman lantern works great.

Comment

As someone that uses infrared cameras everyday for work, I can give a little insight. Using a thermal camera can absolutely work. And it can absolutely not. It's all about temperature differential. Say you shoot a pig on a warm summer evening. Blood is 90 something degrees, ground is 90 something degrees, you aren't going to see anything.

If you shoot a deer in 40 degree weather, you should be able to see the warmer blood for a few minutes, but unless you are going to use a $10,000+ camera, that window will be pretty small. I have a camera that can show you where a golfball landed on carpet, and 2 or 3 bounces, but I'm not taking it out in the woods at night.

So seeing large bodies (football sized or bigger) will be easy as long as the body is a few degrees warmer than the ambient temperature. Seeing a blood trail would take a combination of favorable circumstances, a short window and a lot of luck.

For blood trails, I think a UV light shows a lot more potential.

Comment

I have yet to spill blood for a test. However... The light has already proved valuable for finding a lost arrow.

I shot through my target butt and the grass behind has grown up and I lost the arrow. I searched for as long as I could allow...during the daytime. One night this past weekend I decided Id turn on the light to sample what natural flora and fauna showed up in the blacklight. Really none...except most foliage had a red tint....at night...under the blacklight. I noticed before departing my garage that all my blazer vanes and nocks lite up clear as day when illuminated with the blacklight. However, my feathers did not fluoresce/illuminate/(whatever the appropriate word)... I was not optimistic. I turned on the light and took a walk where my arrow should've gone. Nothing natural seemed to fluoresce but every piece of man made target butt material...illuminated under the blacklight. I couldnt see all this target butt material in daylight...but at night...under the blacklight...it was everywhere....small pieces. I went to my lost arrow trajectory path behind my target butt and BOOYAH!...there was my lost arrow...under three inches of grass/weed growth but shining bright as day...an illuminated neon green nock in a nonfluorescing sod forest.

Processed ground deer blood did not fluoresce for me. Im still hopeful for fresh blood fluorescense.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                              I'm old fashioned I guess I still use an old 2 mantel Colman lantern works great.
                              X2 single mantle works great ...both need reflector though

Comment

Working...
                              X