Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best backstrap recipe?

G'day all,

It's been a tough rut down here on the reds and fallow hunting with the bow but I managed to take a nice yearling sambar hind with the rifle while I was away at my fallow hunting property.

Just wondering what recipes you guys can think of with bsckstrap to impress ny finance. She's sorta on the edge with venison not sure if she likes it or not so I need to knock her socks off. I think the gameness is what she doesn't like too much.

Anyway all ideas welcome!

Cheers,

Jp

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Let it soak in a cooler with ice and keep the blood/water drained off it. And then chicken fry it, everyone likes chicken fried backstrap lol. Or there is a couple different threads with different smoked stuffed backstrap, they are really good as well

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
      Let it soak in a cooler with ice and keep the blood/water drained off it. And then chicken fry it, everyone likes chicken fried backstrap lol. Or there is a couple different threads with different smoked stuffed backstrap, they are really good as well
      x2 on the cooler. I keep mine in there for around 5-7 days with the drain plug open and add ice when needed. After this you will not have that game taste and the meat will be delicious. My wife is a non hunting Bambi lover and now she loves eating it. We made taco salad with some ground the other night and it was awesome. She just browned the meat with some green enchilada sauce and taco seasoning.

Comment

- Slice it as thin as you can.(partially frozen helps to cut it thin) Marinate it in olive oil and greek seasoning over night. Stack it onto a skewer as tight as you can. Cook over a bed of coals until the outside is crispy. (hot hot fire 1 1/2 minutes per side-DO NOT OVERCOOK-Med rare ideal) For vegs - Red onions and mushrooms This way leaves the outside crispy the inside a bit rare and its so tender it falls apart.

Serve on naan with the greek cucumber sauce (Tzatziki Sauce) We sometimes add some good black olives and feta as a side to add to it

Comment

Best backstrap recipe?

I like stuffed backstrap.

Soak in draining ice for about a 3 or 4 days and then cut strap into foot long pieces. Take a piece and butterfly it out real thin and then coat with olive oil and whatever rub you like. Leave it in a zip lock overnight in the fridge.

Next day for supper, lay it out on a cutting board and spread cream cheese all over it on one side. The take some asparagus and some chopped mushroom and roll the strap up with them inside. Roll that up in bacon and tie with some butcher string and smoke it till its about 150 inside. Or bake it for about an hour at 425. Take it off the fire and let it rest for a few minutes and then cut it into medallions crossways. Serve with some salad and red wine.

It's pretty decent.

Last edited by mdmorrow; 04-08-2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
            I like stuffed backstrap.

Soak in draining ice for about a 3 or 4 days and then cut strap into foot long pieces. Take a piece and butterfly it out real thin and then coat with olive oil and whatever rub you like. Leave it in a zip lock overnight in the fridge.

Next day for supper, lay it out on a cutting board and spread cream cheese all over it on one side. The take some asparagus and some chopped mushroom and roll the strap up with them inside. Roll that up in bacon and tie with some butcher string and smoke it till its about 150 inside. Or bake it for about an hour at 425. Take it off the fire and let it rest for a few minutes and then cut it into medallions crossways. Serve with some salad and red wine.

It's pretty decent.

This looks really good. Gonna have to try this with the asparagus in it

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
              - Slice it as thin as you can.(partially frozen helps to cut it thin) Marinate it in olive oil and greek seasoning over night. Stack it onto a skewer as tight as you can. Cook over a bed of coals until the outside is crispy. (hot hot fire 1 1/2 minutes per side-DO NOT OVERCOOK-Med rare ideal) For vegs - Red onions and mushrooms This way leaves the outside crispy the inside a bit rare and its so tender it falls apart.

Serve on naan with the greek cucumber sauce (Tzatziki Sauce) We sometimes add some good black olives and feta as a side to add to it

This sounds awesome. Deer goes great way Greek preparation

Comment

Slice it 1" thick, wrap in pepper bacon pinned with toothpicks. Grill to medium rare and no more.

Comment

Cheers guys, some great ideas and I'll probably have to try them all!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good grief! Now I'm starving!!! Following for more!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X