Magnolia Residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnolia Residents

Did anyone else get a crazy high gas bill from Hughes the last month? I've been watching the community Nextdoor page and it seems everyone is in the same boat. Decembers bill was the highest I have had in the last 12 years and then the January doubled that. I know a group has contacted TRRC to file a complaint but wanted to see if anyone here has any more information.

Yes Sir, Crazy High.

Comment

Yep. Highest it’s ever been but still way less than most per the neighborhood Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in Tomball and it was at least double any of our previous bills.

Comment

No. Im all electric, and not in Magnolia, but my electric bill was the highest ever. It was pretty cold there for a while.

Comment

Same here mine was $243. Figured it was just bc of how cold it was

Comment

No, but I just recently saved a bunch of money on my car insurance and stayed at a holiday inn express last night

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the highest natural gas bill since I've lived (20 Yrs) in my house. Glad I'm not the only one with a high bill.

Comment

You mean for the month where two weeks were below 40 most of the week? Our's was double too, but it was still only $40.

How much more gas did you use than most months?

Comment

[QUOTE=Derrik;13187861]Did anyone else get a crazy high gas bill from Hughes the last month? I've been watching the community Nextdoor page and it seems everyone is in the same boat. Decembers bill was the highest I have had in the last 12 years and then the January doubled that. I know a group has contacted TRRC to file a complaint but wanted to see if anyone here has any

You must be in Thousand Oaks? If so stop by the house on the ski lake with the 3 bay shop and say hi some time.

Comment

Information from our Nextdoor Page:

CONCERNED CUSTOMERS MEETING WITH HUGHES NATURAL GAS 11:00 AM CST FEBRUARY 12, 2018
                      A number of Hughes customers met with Angie at the Hughes Pinehurst office today to understand the significant rise in recent natural gas bills. Below is my understanding of factors per Hughes representative Angie:
                      • Unlike larger gas providers such as Center Point Energy who can take advantage of long term pricing contracts, Hughes only has 5400 customers spread across six counties and because of their small size, buys natural gas on the “spot” market most often at a higher cost.
                      • Gas cost expressed in MMBTUs on the spot market for the February billed month rose by 33% from $7 to $10.50. You can monitor these costs locally by referencing the Houston Ship Channel Based Index. You see gas cost expressed in CCF on your bill which is derived from a factored MMBTU purchase cost. (There is always the chance that our cost CCF will go back down some next month… it changes on our bills each month which is determined by the Gas costs on the market)
                      • Hughes Volumetric Service Fee (their cost of operations) actually went down for the February billing month from $0.705 to $0.557.
                      • Ad Valorem (Latin “according to the value)” is an annual tax that we see on our bill once a year. You should not see it next month. It is assessed by the taxing authorities based on the value of all service lines and property components used in the delivery of natural gas. The total cost of the components is divide across the customer base. Customers in low density acreage neighborhoods such as High Meadow Ranch pay a higher portion of the ad valorem per customer since service lines etc. are divided among a smaller customer base.
                      • Hughes’ current rate tariffs were established in 2012. Hughes recovers the legal and other costs for this application via the Rate Case Surcharge. This cost is spread across five years and should go away after next month’s bill.
                      • IRA—Incremental Rate Adjustments are made each year after the initial tariff rates are established. The last IRA will be added for the years 2017 and no new IRA added until after the next rate tariffs are approved by the Texas Railroad Commission. It is estimated that the new tariffs will go into effect in 2020.
                      • Unlike fourteen other states, natural gas in Texas has NOT been deregulated. Hughes paid for the gas lines in our neighborhood and holds monopolistic rights in perpetuity. Unlike water/sewer Municipal Utility Districts, the cost of the lines and equipment is not amortized and eventually paid off. We will remain wedded to Hughes as our natural gas supplier so long as we both so live or until our legislature decides to join other states in deregulating natural gas.
                      Other Factors of note:
                      • The United States is currently the world's largest natural gas producer, having surpassed Russia in 2009. Natural gas production in the United States increased from 55 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2008 to 72.5 Bcf/d in 2016. Most of this natural gas—about 96% in 2016—was consumed domestically. Abundant natural gas resources and large production increases have created opportunities for U.S. natural gas exports. In 2017 the United States became a net natural gas exporter.
                      • The price of natural gas as listed on the NASDAQ has decreased 22% in the past year

• This is an election year. We should all understand our politician’s thoughts regarding natural gas deregulation and the elimination of monopolistic pricing by natural gas providers.

Comment

[quote=RWB;13188028]
                        Originally posted by Derrik View Post
                        Did anyone else get a crazy high gas bill from Hughes the last month? I've been watching the community Nextdoor page and it seems everyone is in the same boat. Decembers bill was the highest I have had in the last 12 years and then the January doubled that. I know a group has contacted TRRC to file a complaint but wanted to see if anyone here has any

You must be in Thousand Oaks? If so stop by the house on the ski lake with the 3 bay shop and say hi some time.
                        I am in High Meadow but if I am over your way I will stop. Thanks for the invite RWB.

Comment

More from RRC:

The Gas Services Department of the Railroad Commission of Texas (Commission) has received your email. The Commission has original jurisdiction over natural gas rates and services in areas outside the city limits, also referred to as unincorporated or environs area. The cities have original jurisdiction over natural gas rates and services in areas inside the city limits, also referred to incorporated areas.
                          All customers are encouraged to contact the utility to file a complaint first. If you reside inside the city limits and your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, please contact your city government to file a complaint. If you reside outside the city limits and your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may file a complaint with the Commission. What happens after you file a complaint with the Commission?
                          · The complaint is reviewed and the investigation begins.
                          · The company has 15 days to investigate and respond to the Commission, unless additional time is granted within the 15-day period.
                          · After reviewing the utility’s response, an evaluation is made to determine if the utility has failed to follow rules and regulations.
                          · While under review, the customer may review more information regarding their natural gas bill and to review the minimum service standards applicable to the unincorporated areas http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/media/413...nformation.pdf.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
                            • This is an election year. We should all understand our politician’s thoughts regarding natural gas deregulation and the elimination of monopolistic pricing by natural gas providers.
                            Apparently someone doesn't understand how supply and demand works lol...I do agree with deregulation though. But the two really aren't related.

Comment

Magnolia Residents

Crappy company anyway imho. Disliked them since they wanted a $275 deposit when we moved in. Perfect credit and nobody else wanted one. Hate they are the only choice. When our Hvac goes out seriously considering electric heat and a propane tank for the stove and water heater. At least I would have choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X