Oryx Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oryx Ribs

Killed an oryx last month and had to bring home the ribs after seeing how much meat was between each rib. Never cooked ribs, so educate me on what to do.

they'll go on the green egg, any input is appreciated.

Maybe try and sear them on the pit and then wrap them up in foil so they don't dry out

Comment

I covered them in butter and brown sugar and and then proceeded to drink beer and forget about them - burning them to a crisp and they tasted like a boot heel. So, any way you prepare them will probably beat my method

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
        Maybe try and sear them on the pit and then wrap them up in foil so they don't dry out
        That's not correct. Wrapping in foil turns the pit into a convection oven and will dry them out all the same if not sooner.

I have no suggestion on cooking any sort of lean meat such as venison ribs on a pit.

If there's a lot of meat, perhaps you could debone it and try to make fajita's or a stir fry. More of a hot and fast cook which should work well for this type meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          That's not correct. Wrapping in foil turns the pit into a convection oven and will dry them out all the same if not sooner.

I have no suggestion on cooking any sort of lean meat such as venison ribs on a pit.

If there's a lot of meat, perhaps you could debone it and try to make fajita's or a stir fry. More of a hot and fast cook which should work well for this type meat.

I see... never cooked any lean ribs on the pit either, so was just a wild guess lol.

That was going to be my other suggestion, debone and make fajitas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

pit for sure

Comment

Any wild game ribs can be cooked in the oven or pit. Just low and slow and keep them moist with mopping them. Have cooked a lot of exotic ribs from the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say low and slow and baste baste and baste

Comment

Hopefully I get to try this out this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know about oryx but how I do pork ribs is put rub on thick and wrap in Saran Wrap in fridge over night, bring up to room temp and onto smoker a 225 for 3 hours spraying with apple juice and rub every 30-45 minutes. Take them out and wrap in foil with a little tiger sauce, agave nectar (or substitute honey), brown sugar, and squeeze butter wrapped tightly and back on the pit for 2 hours. Then back out of the foil and onto the pit for 1 more hour uncovered. They always turn out great.

Comment

Unless your dead set on grilling or smoking I would separate each rib and chicken fry. I do this with deer and pig ribs.

Comment

Working...
                      X