Mesquite Bean Jelly with peppers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Bean Jelly with peppers?

Has anyone made mesquite bean jelly with diced japelenos?

The jelly is really sweet and I think the japelenos will add a nice flavor, but I wonder how much to put into a 4 cup mix.

for curious minds - I finally had time to make this. The past batches have been way too sweet for me so I also reduced the sugar.

I cut my recipe to 2 cups of sugar and used reduced - no sugar added pectin (pink box of Sure Gel) and added 3/4 c of diced jalapenos.

OMG - it was fantastic!

So here's the new recipe -

4 cups of mesquite bean juice
    2 cups of sugar
    1/4 cup of lemon juice
    3/4 diced japelenos (I used the kind in a jar.)
    1 package of Sure Jel reduced - no sugar added pectin.

Combine juice, sugar, lemon juice and boil in a medium pot. Add 1-2 T butter (this keeps it from foaming when the pectin is added.)

When it is in a rolling boil (stirring does not stop the boil), add the pectin. All recipes say to boil for 1 minute, but what they don't tell you is it should be at least 1 minute. Ideally, you want to boil it until it hits 220 degrees, checked with a thermometer. Or until it "sheets" off a metal spoon. I have found this to take about 20 minutes of boiling.

Pour into canning jars, place into simmering water that is at least 1" over the top of the jars for 10 minutes. After removing and putting the lids and rings on, about every 5-10 minutes, roll the jar some to "stir" the peppers into the jelly or they will jell to the top.

We like eating it on crackers.

Comment

Out of curiousity where did you find the mesquite bean juice?

Comment

I pulled the mesquite beans off the trees when they were ripe last year - about early August. They will be turning brown and easy to pull off. Do not pick them up from the ground unless you knocked it to the ground. Bugs get into them quick. Rinse them well, crack or break the pods and boil for about 45 minutes. Pour off liquid through a strainer like cheesecloth. That is your mesquite bean juice. We measure 4 C and put into a quart sized Ziplock freezer bag. Then freeze it or make jelly.

Comment

I have had mesquite been jelly and it it real good. I guess it turned out good with the jalapenos too from your post.

Comment

Been wanting to make this just have to wait until the beans are ready this year

Comment

I'm actually excited to see the pods developing now. I can't wait to pick this year's batch.

I found a recipe for Mesquite Bean Coffee and Mesquite Bean Flour.

Comment

About how many beans does it take to make 4 cups of the juice?

Comment

I don't know- we just filled a large pot with the broken bean pods and water. I've heard a bushel, but I don't know how much a bushel is.

Comment

Working...
                  X