Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Abbott. Been an awesome governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Abbott

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
              I fully grasp your point. It was a tongue in cheek comment. If you eliminate all social issues in politics, by default, you eliminate morality in society. A society with tenuous morals simply will not stand for long. The Democratic Party holds the mantle for engineering the degradation of morals in American society and they are smart about it. I want to be left alone as much as anyone but I also don't want a thriving meth lab next door.
              Your social morality is yours and I'm sure we only partially agree on it. From my perspective, there are no shortage of historical examples of liberal and conservative social immorality in America.

I'm not sure I've seen evidence that indicates more conservative social politics or more Republican Party influence means fewer meth labs. I saw a top-10 list of meth lab states a few years ago and I think it might have had 1 or 2 "liberal" states on it. On a similar note, the opiod problem has received significant news coverage of late. The reddest states, where there is no shortage of Bibles, religious fundamentalism, social conservatism or Republicans, have the highest opiod prescription use per capita. For some reason, an abnormally high percentage of SEC and Big 12 fans seem to be in pain.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that a majority in this community prefer Abbott and Patrick legislating based on their religious beliefs. I think the Constitution allows them to do so to an extent. I'm comfortable opposing such faith-based politics and I do believe I will see the day where theocrats like Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick won't be able to win a statewide election in Texas. In the meantime, I sincerely appreciate the balance and moderation that Joe Straus provides in keeping Abbott and Patrick in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                Don't be surprised if crazy Dan Patrick tries to take a run at Abbott. Abbott is a solid gov.
                Lieutenant Governor is where the most power in Texas resides. I'd rather someone like Abbot in the Lt. Gov. seat honestly. But, I like him as Governor also. Maybe someone more like Abbot will somehow primary Patrick out of his seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post

I'm not sure I've seen evidence that indicates more conservative social politics or more Republican Party influence means fewer meth labs. I saw a top-10 list of meth lab states a few years ago and I think it might have had 1 or 2 "liberal" states on it. On a similar note, the opiod problem has received significant news coverage of late. The reddest states, where there is no shortage of Bibles, religious fundamentalism, social conservatism or Republicans, have the highest opiod prescription use per capita.
                  You couldn't be any more wrong about this.

"The places with the highest percentage of teenage drug users were Colorado, the District of Columbia, Vermont, Oregon and Rhode Island. Comparatively, states with the lowest percentage of drug users were Nebraska, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa.

Most people who died from an overdose, per capita, died in West Virginia, followed by New Hampshire, a Kentucky-Ohio tie and Rhode Island. The states with the fewest overdose deaths were Iowa, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska."

Top 10 drug states, in order:

1 District of Columbia
                  2 Vermont
                  3 Colorado
                  4 Delaware
                  5 Rhode Island
                  6 Oregon
                  7 Connecticut
                  8 Arizona
                  9 Massachusetts
                  10 Michigan

Comment

I stand with Abbott!

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post

"The places with the highest percentage of teenage drug users were Colorado, the District of Columbia, Vermont, Oregon and Rhode Island. Comparatively, states with the lowest percentage of drug users were Nebraska, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa.

Most people who died from an overdose, per capita, died in West Virginia, followed by New Hampshire, a Kentucky-Ohio tie and Rhode Island. The states with the fewest overdose deaths were Iowa, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska."

1 District of Columbia
                      2 Vermont
                      3 Colorado
                      4 Delaware
                      5 Rhode Island
                      6 Oregon
                      7 Connecticut
                      8 Arizona
                      9 Massachusetts
                      10 Michigan

Good stuff there. Thanks LFD2037.

This discussion probably belongs in a separate thread but for now, I will run with it. Vermin93, my "meth lab" comment was merely metaphoric and the definition of moral is not debatable. One can choose to abide by that definition or not but arguing the definition is silly. You lamented the value of morals in society while citing an opioid drug epidemic as evidence to the contrary. HUH??? It can't be both ways. Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.
                      Last edited by Livin'2hunt; 07-16-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

1 District of Columbia
                        2 Vermont
                        3 Colorado
                        4 Delaware
                        5 Rhode Island
                        6 Oregon
                        7 Connecticut
                        8 Arizona
                        9 Massachusetts
                        10 Michigan
                        Facts= Liberal Fly Spray

Comment

1 District of Columbia
                          2 Vermont
                          3 Colorado
                          4 Delaware
                          5 Rhode Island
                          6 Oregon
                          7 Connecticut
                          8 Arizona
                          9 Massachusetts
                          10 Michigan
                          I'm not wrong. I responded to a comment on meth labs and I mentioned a metric related to the opiod crisis. You posted the results of a wallethub.com report that was created using a weighting of 15 metrics across 3 categories, including law enforcement. It also included marijuana among illicit drug use. That significantly cheapens the results from my perspective.

1. Drug Use & Addiction – Total Points: 50
                          Percentage of Teenagers Who Used Illicit Drugs in the Past Month: Triple Weight (~11.54 Points)
                          Percentage of Teenagers Who Tried Marijuana Before Age 13 Years: Full Weight (~3.85 Points)
                          Percentage of Teenagers Who Were Offered, Sold, Or Given An Illegal Drug On School Property in the Past Year: Full Weight (~3.85 Points)
                          Percentage of Adults Who Used Illicit Drugs in the Past Month: Triple Weight (~11.54 Points)
                          Number of Opioid Pain Reliever Prescriptions per 100 People: Full Weight (~3.85 Points)
                          Number of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents (population adj): Full Weight (~3.85 Points)
                          Number of Overdose Deaths per Capita: Double Weight (~7.69 Points)
                          Overdose Deaths Growth (2015 vs 2014): Full Weight (~3.85 Points)
                          2. Law Enforcement – Total Points: 25
                          Number of Drug Arrests per Capita: Full Weight (~6.25 Points)
                          Number of Drug Arrests on College Campuses per 1,000 Students: Full Weight (~6.25 Points)
                          Prescription Drug Monitoring Laws: Full Weight (~6.25 Points)
                          Maternity Drug Policy (Is Substance Abuse During Pregnancy a Crime?): Full Weight (~6.25 Points)
                          3. Drug Health Issues & Rehab – Total Points: 25
                          Percentage of Adults Who Needed But Didn’t Receive Treatment for Illicit Drug Use in the Past Year: Double Weight (~10.00 Points)
                          Number of Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities per 100,000 People (12 Years and Older) Using Illicit Drugs: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
                          Number of Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services per 100,000 People (12 Years and Older) Using Illicit Drugs: Double Weight (~10.00 Points)

As for the 2 metrics I specifically referenced -

DEA: 2014 Methamphetamine Lab Incidents (Not weighted by population)

1. Indiana - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          2. Missouri - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          3. Tennessee - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          4. Ohio - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          5. Michigan - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          6. Illinois - Republican Governor, Democrat Legislature
                          7. North Carolina - Democrat Governor, Republican Legislature
                          8. Florida - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          9. Kentucky - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          10. South Carolina - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature

Number of opiod prescriptions by 100 residents (average US Rate = 82.6)

1. Alabama (142.9) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          2. Tennessee (142.0) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          3. West Virginia (137.6) - Democrat Governor, Republican Legislature
                          4. Kentucky (128.4) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          5. Oklahoma (127.8) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          6. Mississippi (120.3) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          7. Louisiana (118.0) - Democrat Governor, Republican Legislature
                          8. Arkansas (115.8) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          9. Indiana (109.1) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature
                          10. Michigan (107.0) - Republican Governor, Republican Legislature

These 2 lists are largely comprised of states that are more religious, conservative and Republican than most. In fact, out of the 20 least religious states in the country as rated by Pew Research, only 1 (Illinois) is on the meth lab incidents or opiod prescription list. By comparison, out of the top 10 most highly religious states in the country, Georgia is the only one to not make either list. Hopefully the Republicans who control the governorships and the legislatures in most of these states will find a better way to get their states off the lists because social conservatism doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            Facts= Liberal Fly Spray
                            Data without context and understanding isn't very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                              Data without context and understanding isn't very useful.
                              Pssssssssss......pssssssss....pssssssss

Comment

Abbot will have my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X