Aoudad Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad Aging

When I purchased my new property in August I knew there were exotics around the area, but didn't know what species I would see. So far I have seen Elk, Sika and Axis. This weekend I pulled my camera card and found that I also have Aoudad. I do not know the first thing about them. How to age and score (basically how to tell if it is a mature trophy or not), how to tell sex (do males have horns and the female don't? are they called bucks and does ect? )and weather or not they eat well. The third question is most important because I only take animals that I will eat.

I saw this lone Aoudad (I assume it is a male) and my brother in law says its a trophy but I have no idea. I also have pictures of a group of them together and this one seems meaner looking for lack of better words than the rest.
    Help me out what should I be looking for?

thanks in advance for any tips!
    Attached Files

Looks like a pretty good ram to me. I have never killed one, so I have no idea if they are good to eat or not...

Comment

The penis generally indicates it is a male. :-) I kid.

Rams vs. ewes

Rams and ewes both have horns.

That is a good representative ram. Decent horns and good chaps.

I thing their is a line of demarcation between young and old :-) but I can't really age them. 30" of curl (per side)is a good standard for a trophy.

Congrats on the land purchase!

Comment

Some will eat the and say they are great. I am not some. Haaaa. If you only kill what you eat, I bet that changes. Many get sick of the protein/feed hogs and soon treat them as undesirable nuisances.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Some will eat the and say they are great. I am not some. Haaaa. If you only kill what you eat, I bet that changes. Many get sick of the protein/feed hogs and soon treat them as undesirable nuisances.
          Very true! Since this is my property now my perspective may change.

Comment

Many will tell you you can't eat them, but we do and really enjoy them.

These guys agree as well. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...at#Post6940118

Comment

The penis generally indicates it is a male. :-) I kid.

Rams vs. ewes

Rams and ewes both have horns.

That is a good representative ram. Decent horns and good chaps.

I thing their is a line of demarcation between young and old :-) but I can't really age them. 30" of curl (per side)is a good standard for a trophy.

Congrats on the land purchase!
              Great info. so beyond the obvious penis/ no penis is it easy to tell the Rams from ewes? Chaps/ no chaps? color differences?

Comment

You are on the right foot with the tripod feeders. I have been awakened at night with the danged things head-butting protein feeders--hard! I have friends with places around Rocksprings and they are at war with them.

Comment

That is a good ram.

Ram = male
                  Ewe = female

Both rams and ewes have horns; rams grow much bigger horns, mane, and chaps.

Aging can be difficult on the huff. Basically the older the ram the darker they get and the larger body/horns they have. When in a group you can tell older rams from the rest due to size and sometimes coloration.

They live a very long time; some say 15-20 years.

I would not eat them, but hey not telling you what to do.

Comment

That looks to be a pretty nice one for the area, i'd guess he is about 26"

Heed my warning, You need to shoot every Aoudad you see!

The more Aoudad you have the less of everything else you will have.

Their population can explode if you aren't careful.

We laid off of them for 2 seasons thinking it would be cool to have a herd, WRONG!! Before we knew it they were out of control. They are smart, they will take over your feeders, and they are hard to kill.

Our place is in Southern Real county and they have been a major contributing factor to the decline of our whitetail numbers.

I have killed 5 Aoudad with a Recurve, and 1 one with a compound.

Comment

Shoot me a PM with an email and I can send you pics showing rams/ewes in the same game cam photos.

Comment

You are on the right foot with the tripod feeders. I have been awakened at night with the danged things head-butting protein feeders--hard! I have friends with places around Rocksprings and they are at war with them.
                        I am west of Rocksprings and I hope I don't have to go wot war with them, but I bet I could find a few friends who wouldn't mind helping with the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                          Great info. so beyond the obvious penis/ no penis is it easy to tell the Rams from ewes? Chaps/ no chaps? color differences?
                          It is pretty obvious with mature animals. I probably can't tell the difference between a ewe and juvenile ram at a glance--then again, I don't see any need to. No significant chaps on ewes. You will know a mature ram when you see it. Rams are heavy (like your pics) and about 1.5-2x as big as a mature ewe. Really no mistaking a mature ram with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by wloftis View Post
                            Shoot me a PM with an email and I can send you pics showing rams/ewes in the same game cam photos.
                            PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                              Many will tell you you can't eat them, but we do and really enjoy them.

These guys agree as well. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...at#Post6940118

what is the best way in your opinion? from the post you linked I am thinking that I would make burger and sausage if I were to take one.

Comment

Working...
                              X