Buck forage oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck forage oats

If you have used buck oats before what did you think about them?

We've used them in East Texas with good results. Really easy/low maintenance and grow well here.

br

Comment

Deer love 'em...

Comment

I am putting some in the in the next two weeks... next to my dove plot

Got the seed at tractor supply $19 for 50lbs.

Comment

They are awesome but, I will tell you one thing for sure. If you don't buy them now you ain't gonna get them this year.

Oats are in a bad shortage so if you are interested buy now.

Comment

What is the difference between buck forage oats and regular "Seed oats" that you can get at any feed store?

Comment

Without going into a length, basically they are a forage oat and not a seed oat. They stay tender longer, are more cold tolerant, produce more forage and for some reason the deer eat them better than regular oats. I have no idea why but, I planted food plots with both, side by side and the deer hammered the forage oat.

I will also say we had forage oats being grazed almost 2 months after they stopped touching the regular oats.

I have no stake in the company just the research I have done.

Comment

I've seen a lot of research, though done outside of Texas, that showed Buck Forage Oats were a huge waste of money compaired to regular ol' Bob Oats..

Here is some pretty compelling info..

Comment

what if you mix buck forage oats with regular oats 50/50?

Comment

i found some in spring texas

Comment

Buck Forage is a coker 227 oat variety. They are more cold tolerant like mentioned here, but with lime and fertilizer, they are not "significantly" better.

Comment

Then you guys should buy regular oats.

Those of us that are suckers will just have to deal with being suckers I guess.

Comment

I thought I seen on a Buck Forage bag that they were "Bob" oats??

Comment

I have to agree with qzilla. BFO oats have performed better for me at the home place in Callahan Cty near Abilene, TX. I attended several of Dr. Kroll's seminars where he showed us BFO & other oats growing side by side in EAST TEXAS. For me the BFO oats are worth the $$. For the guys from Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, & elsewhere North on the QDMA Forum, I'm sure they are telling the truth about BFO's growing on their land. I just don't hunt on THEIR land.

Consider the same situation regarding people from North promoting the planting of Brassicas. I have planted purple top turnips for decades down here. We would watch the cattle & deer totally avoid them until after the first hard freeze. Then they would eat them to the ground & dig up the root. Turns out that turnips have a high alkaloid (bitter) content until the freeze. Then the plant develops a sugary taste. The disadvantage is that, where I hunt, that hard freeze is usually after Jan 1st. Thereby not providing me any benefit for using turnips in a hunting plot. They do however work well if you use them for a late winter food source.

Comment

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
                              Then you guys should buy regular oats.

Those of us that are suckers will just have to deal with being suckers I guess.

Best idea I've heard all day! Glad your tolerance for other experience is well developed!
                              Last edited by Leftridge; 08-27-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X