X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Barrel length suggestion for 28 Nos?

I’m thinking of either a 24” or 26” with a 1:8.5 twist rate. I’ll probably go with the 24” since I’ll be running a brake and sometimes suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hgiles; 01-04-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      Yes, it will work with all three.

Personally I like the 7mm-08 between those choices for Texas game.
      I personally like the 25-06 out of those for Texas game.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
        I’m thinking of either a 24” or 26” with a 1:8.5 twist rate. I’ll probably go with the 24” since I’ll be running a brake and sometimes suppressor.

Good info. Thanks.

Comment

To realize full potential of that round you will need 26"+

You just have to figure out a balance between performance and maneuverability.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
            So have you worked out any kinks in your 7mm APR?

This one has me interested still.
            It's rocking along. Really happy with the round itself, but not thrilled about the current barrel on it. It's a fouling SOB. I've also got the serial# right behind it on another rifle and it is flawless. Go figure. The first barrel was probably the best I've ever owned, but it's long gone now after all of the initial playing around and testing. It did win a small one mile match while it was still kicking. Definitely a lot of work to get 28 Nos performance. I'm averaging 4-6 SD FINALLY and the brass is lasting forever. It's been an adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
              For you guys thinking about the 260 that don't hand load, I'm about to sound like a broken record when I say consider the 6.5CM. I know, I know.....everybody is hating on it because its the flavor of the month and is being pushed EVERYWHERE. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of hearing about it too. But facts are facts, and it backs up its promise of performance in its intended place. It offers the SAME level of performance as the 260 in factory ammo, with the benefits of fitting in your mag box, large and available ammo selection that is continuing to grow, which most of the time is cheaper and you'll be hard pressed to find any of it that doesn't shoot lights out.
              Would the 6.5 CM be enough gun for elk, mule deer and/or big horn sheep?? What kind of weight could be expected for these rifles??

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                Sorry for not being clear on the payment part, was trying to get all the info out there and missed that crucial detail. We would need 50% at time of order and the balance on completion. Also, given our component choices Lefties are not an option on this one. Left handed actions are in the works, so maybe next time.
                no lefties, thanks for saving me money. could have been expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Would the 6.5 CM be enough gun for elk, mule deer and/or big horn sheep?? What kind of weight could be expected for these rifles??
                  It's plenty for all 3, if you don't try to push it beyond its limits. These rifles are going to be right at 8 lbs. Some a little over, and some a little under depending on options chosen by the customer. They will have enough weight that most folks can shoot them well, but on the heavier side for a dedicated mountain rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I'll ask cause I know theres a few guys who value your opinion on the matter......

what caliber for both the hand roller and the factory ammo buyer?
                    If shooting exotics, white tail, antelope, and thin skinned medium size game animals in NA.... hard to beat the 25-06, 260, 7-08, or 7mag if you want a magnum

Comment

Happy to see the 7-08 mentioned this many times. I think it gets overlooked a lot these days with all the new stuff. Its the real workhorse of the 308 variants, and easy to get along with.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        If shooting exotics, white tail, antelope, and thin skinned medium size game animals in NA.... hard to beat the 25-06, 260, 7-08, or 7mag if you want a magnum
                        Thanks!

I have a 25.06 and a 7x57 that when I do rifle hunt get swapped around. I have no ties to the 06 really and could sacrifice it to have another built.

But this all comes about just days after my dad and I talk about the 260. Neither of us have owned one [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Chew, I know Nosler rifles are 26" for the 28Nosler. I would think they would know how long it should be. As far as twist, the 1:9 will handle up to 180gr. The new 195gr is calling for 1:8 twist. I would either go with a 1:9 twist and stay 180 or less, or go with a full 1:8 twist for heavier bullets. I don't see me needing more than 180gr for the 28.

In case you can't tell, I'm also wanting a 28nos.

Comment

Am I an idiot for considering a 300 blk??
                            I love hunting with it, and would love a bolt action that shoots lights out.

Otherwise it would be 6.5CM, 7-08, or maybe a 6.5 Grendel would probably be more practical. Never had a custom rifle and only recently tinkered w long range, but only in gas guns so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              Thanks!

I have a 25.06 and a 7x57 that when I do rifle hunt get swapped around. I have no ties to the 06 really and could sacrifice it to have another built.

But this all comes about just days after my dad and I talk about the 260. Neither of us have owned one [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

260 gets my vote also

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                                Am I an idiot for considering a 300 blk??
                                I love hunting with it, and would love a bolt action that shoots lights out.

Otherwise it would be 6.5CM, 7-08, or maybe a 6.5 Grendel would probably be more practical. Never had a custom rifle and only recently tinkered w long range, but only in gas guns so far.

Considering you mentioned 300blk and long range in the same post, then yes, you could be.

Comment

Working...
                                X