Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious what will stand up in court if legal action is taken

Comment

This incident is going to cost United a lot more than a chartered flight, or even a full flight the next day. Just referring to the bad publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        Arrogance and bad publicity is even more ignorant.
        Fact of the matter is ...this too will pass & they know it...next time someone books a flight...if united is 20-30% cheaper than the next guy...you will buy it, so will i & a whole host of other folks

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
          I would wager...kick'n folks off oversold planes doesn't even register on any airline PnL...it happens all day, every day, multiple times a day on any given airline...consideration is given to those that spend the most...the low man is SOL...just the way it works & rightfully so
          I would wager the airlines budget for a certain level of expected passenger vouchers considering overbooking is not uncommon. It's probably written off as a cost of doing business based on their best execution model for booking flights (or whatever they want to call it).

To me it was just a stupid decision for the airline. Why didn't they just up the voucher until another passenger accepted?

Comment

As has been said above, overbooking is part of the deal when you fly. You don't have any "right" to that seat - they own the airplane so if they tell you to get off, you get off. You can then decide to never fly United again if you want. The airline handled it poorly, no doubt. They should have upped the bid until they got a taker. Or, the captain says "ok, we are going to sit here until someone gets off" If I was that guy I'm sure I would be angry but I dang sure would not have reacted like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum on the floor at WalMart
            Last edited by jerp; 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Fact of the matter is ...this too will pass & they know it...next time someone books a flight...if united is 20-30% cheaper than the next guy...you will buy it, so will i & a whole host of other folks
              No , no I won't but that's just me. Depending on how United handles this will determine if I ever fly with them.
              Last edited by BrandonA; 04-10-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                I would wager the airlines budget for a certain level of expected passenger vouchers considering overbooking is not uncommon. It's probably written off as a cost of doing business based on their best execution model for booking flights (or whatever they want to call it).

To me it was just a stupid decision for the airline. Why didn't they just up the voucher until another passenger accepted?
                This^^^ & they should have reconciled seats to confirmations before boarding

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  As has been said above, overbooking is part of the deal when you fly. You don't have any "right" to that seat - they own the airplane so if they tell you to get off, you get off. You can then decide to never fly United again if you want. The airline handled it poorly, no doubt. They should have upped the bid until they got a taker. Or, the captain says "ok, we are going to sit here until someone gets off"
                  X2 poorly handled situation. Just think of the irony here "United" unless your selected & dragged off

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                    I can guarantee you that if I had paid for a seat on that plane and didn't want to take a later flight, they would have to drag me out kicking and screaming too...not any passengers fault united didn't plan ahead!
                    You and I both, Brother! When people are treated poorly, they tend to take it badly. I hope he sues and wins BIGLY (as Trump says).

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRan View Post
                      Actually that's not always true. I had a really bad experience once with Delta about 14 years ago. They tried to make my 2 year old sit across the aisle from me where it was just a single seat (this was a small plane with one double row and one single row). They refused to try to facilitate a switch saying it waz their policy not to make any changes after ticketing is done and had a horrible attitude about the entire incident. Finally another passenger and her husband agreed to switch seats with my child and I so my 2 year old wasn't stuck alone. It was ridiculous. I called Delta and they ended up giving me $800 in vouchers for the inconvenience and insensitivity of the crew but I never used them and never will. I don't care how much Delta could save me on a trip, after that, they lost my business for good.

Comment

As has been said above, overbooking is part of the deal when you fly. You don't have any "right" to that seat - they own the airplane so if they tell you to get off, you get off. You can then decide to never fly United again if you want. The airline handled it poorly, no doubt. They should have upped the bid until they got a taker. Or, the captain says "ok, we are going to sit here until someone gets off"
                        This is my thoughts on it. I've been on multiple flights where volunteers were asked to give up a seat and there is always a number you can hit to have people catch a later flight.

Comment

Doesnt work that way either...when it comes down to it...lowest cost seat on the plane get ls the boot (unless that person has status)...right/wrong or indifferent & every contract of carriage i've ever read stated exactly that

Comment

Not everyone... as a matter of fact I've flown alot with southwest(multiple years reaching their companion pass status) and was recently thinking about starting to fly United more. Not now, I think I'll stick with southwest.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                              Actually that's not always true. I had a really bad experience once with Delta about 14 years ago. They tried to make my 2 year old sit across the aisle from me where it was just a single seat (this was a small plane with one double row and one single row). They refused to try to facilitate a switch saying it waz their policy not to make any changes after ticketing is done and had a horrible attitude about the entire incident. Finally another passenger and her husband agreed to switch seats with my child and I so my 2 year old wasn't stuck alone. It was ridiculous. I called Delta and they ended up giving me $800 in vouchers for the inconvenience and insensitivity of the crew but I never used them and never will. I don't care how much Delta could save me on a trip, after that, they lost my business for good.
                              Yes...everyone that flies has a "story"....fact is every airline competes for the same traveler's $....& if you or i don't buy the seat...someonelse will & if not, most airlines will not fly a negative margin flight unless they need an asset or resource in a specific place...they will cancel flights before they loose $

Comment

Doesnt work that way either...when it comes down to it...lowest cost seat on the plane get ls the boot (unless that person has status)...right/wrong or indifferent & every contract of carriage i've ever read stated exactly that
                                Your full of ****... That's exactly how it works. Airlines will negotiate. I don't fly as much as I use to but my question is what position do you have with United?

Comment

Working...
                                X