1.25" vs 1.125" 300 grain broadheads Pros and Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.25" vs 1.125" 300 grain broadheads Pros and Cons

What are yalls thoughts on the difference between VPAs 300 gr 2 blade broadheads with either a 1 1/8" (1.125) or 1 1/4" (1.25) cutting diameter? Id like a sanity check and words of experience before purchasing one or the other.

The blade thickness of the 1.125" (.125") is about double that of the 1.25" (0.66"). Does it matter?

Blade length for 1.125"W is 1.85"L and 1.25"W is 2.12"L.

Im posting a link because I cant get the chart pic to load...

The VPA 300gr three blades have a better 3:1 length to width ratio (than the two blades) and are not off the table for acquisition.

Please and Thank you!
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM.

1/8" extra cutting diameter isn't a lot to quibble about.

I shot the 175gr VPA 3 blades (still do some), and they quickly killed "everything" I sent them through.

I killed 19 pigs with a single head before it sustained some damage. Straightened it up, and killed 2 more before retiring it. It's still a good head too, but I wanted to make sure I hang onto it for a conversation piece.

Rick

Comment

Offhand the only thing I can think of is the difference in surface area that is just friction vs cutting surface. Honestly probably not a big difference, and worth it to keep the head's integrity. They'll probably kill all the same.

Comment

Link didn't work.

haven't used them so I can't comment. I wouldn't really worry about an 1/8" so much as other factors.

Comment

Thank yall.

Link worked for me. No matter. Intent understood.

I didnt figure an 1/8th would matter much...maybe.

I was curious to know thoughts and experience particular to blade thickness. Im trying to be realistic that...300 gr is 300 gr...and the skinner but wider broadhead blade is still gonna be stout...despite half the blade thickness of the 1/8th" lesser diameter. However since theyve produced two two-blade widths...I wonder "Why?"...and best I can figure is someones somewheres thought one was better than the other. Furthermore I thought that one of those someones might be here...to share.

Comment

I called VPA. Nice folk.

Seems that 1 1/8" is normal run size. 1 1/4" offered for those who want a bigger bleed cut. Blade thickness due to width simply result of engineering.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM. Reason: CutOutSpake

Comment

Technically you get more resistance with the "wider cut" and therefore "less penetration". However, I love thicker/meatier broadheads as I feel they will last longer and hold up better. I also feel (limited testing shooting through stacked cardboard) that the thicker material single bevel heads get more rotational effect compared to the thinner material single bevel heads. Although I believe you are splitting hairs on the width of the cut. I would lean towards the thicker head for my personal preference. (I will say also that in my cardboard hunting, the more energy that goes into the rotation, the less penetration you get... but again, it is splitting hairs as I have only noticed a difference in penitration of 1/4 to 1/2 an inch yet the rotation can be as much as 45 to 90 degrees more rotation. The more rotation, the better the bleeding.) Again. Splitting hairs and personal prefference.

Comment

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                Technically you get more resistance with the "wider cut" and therefore "less penetration". However, I love thicker/meatier broadheads as I feel they will last longer and hold up better. I also feel (limited testing shooting through stacked cardboard) that the thicker material single bevel heads get more rotational effect compared to the thinner material single bevel heads. Although I believe you are splitting hairs on the width of the cut. I would lean towards the thicker head for my personal preference. (I will say also that in my cardboard hunting, the more energy that goes into the rotation, the less penetration you get... but again, it is splitting hairs as I have only noticed a difference in penitration of 1/4 to 1/2 an inch yet the rotation can be as much as 45 to 90 degrees more rotation. The more rotation, the better the bleeding.) Again. Splitting hairs and personal prefference.

Thanks for the input. I like your cardboard perspective.

Your comment about more rotation and less penetration is very intriguing to me.

(Dangit! I was leaning wider. Back on the split haired fence.)

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Thanks for the input. I like your cardboard perspective.

Your comment about more rotation and less penetration is very intriguing to me.

(Dangit! I was leaning wider. Back on the split haired fence.)
                  Like I said, the difference in penetration is minut and I personally prefer the durability and strength of the thicker material and having more of the rotational affect! To me, that is the entire point and purpose of a single bevel. But then again, this is just what I personally have noticed. You could just buy them both and do the testing for yourself! It's a good reason to buy more broadheads if nothing else!

Comment

Oh goodness...I dont need the encouragement...Thanks though.

Comment

Working...
                    X