No announcement yet.

Trapping 2016 - 2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What animal digs the corner of the trap up? I have had that happen twice this week. Two different traps.

I also lost one Thursday night. A chunk of dirt got between the jaws and it didn't close all the way. It was an offset, so it doesn't close all the way to begin with.

Comment

fox will so will a coyote if the trap wasn't bedded quite well enough and it felt movement when it stepped on the edge of the trap

Comment

What do you guys cover the pan with before you sift dirt on it? I bought some screen materials that is supposed to fit the traps but I don't like them. I usually use trash bags and stretch them over the entire trap and then sift dirt. Sometimes it is too lose and falls in between the pan and jaw and it takes a bunch of dirt to make it level.

The ones with the screens are usually the ones dug up.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          What do you guys cover the pan with before you sift dirt on it? I bought some screen materials that is supposed to fit the traps but I don't like them. I usually use trash bags and stretch them over the entire trap and then sift dirt. Sometimes it is too lose and falls in between the pan and jaw and it takes a bunch of dirt to make it level.

I use freezer wrapping paper. Just cut it out to fit your trap. I put over the pan and under the jaws so it won't interfere with trap closing.
          Last edited by GLM; 12-19-2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
            I use freezer wrapping paper. Just cut it out to fit your trap. I put over the pan and under the jaws so it won't interfere with trap closing.

Once you put the paper over the pan and then under the jaws do you just sift dirt on top of the jaws? Is it ok to have all that dirt around the jaws?

Comment

Once you put the paper over the pan and then under the jaws do you just sift dirt on top of the jaws? Is it ok to have all that dirt around the jaws?
              I use a coffee filter. Crumple and uncrumple it a few times. Often I have plucked a wad of grass and make a fluffy pile of it to put under the pan and not use a 'trap pan cover'. Yes it's okay to have dirt around the jaws
              Last edited by Patton; 12-19-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

yes you want dirt around the jaws but not under the pan, pack the dirt under and up around the jaws that will keep the trap from moving

watch a cpl of youtube video's and see how a trap is bedded

Comment

I have been building a tent across the top from jaw to jaw and sifting dirt over that. I usually don't have anything inside the jaws. Maybe that is why mine have been dug up a couple of times.

Is the dirt inside the jaw also packed?

Comment

Check out YouTube videos, Management Advantage has some very educational trapping videos.

Comment

I use either coffee filters or was paper...Just bunch and wad up the wax paper fist to make it more flexible. I've also just stuck cotton under the pan. You basically just need a void under the pan so it can drop and set the trap off.

Comment

I am going to be setting a couple of traps later this month or in the beginning of january for beaver and maybe a couple coyotes.
                        Does anybody else trap beavers?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have trapped nuisance beavers in the past.

Comment

I had really good luck with Underalls last year.
                            They are a little foam pad that lays under the pan to keep the dirt from getting under it.
                            I bought them from F&T

Comment

Been snaring the heck out of a few large rats in my alley...they like to cruze the top of our urban fences...

Using 22 & 24 gauge wire

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                                Been snaring the heck out of a few large rats in my alley...they like to cruze the top of our urban fences...

Using 22 & 24 gauge wire
                                Can you explain how you are doing this? I have a couple in the barn and I don't want to shoot holes in the walls with a gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X